Off Topic A place for you CBR junkies to boldly go off topic. Almost anything goes.

Quit Smoking Success & Failures....

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-2011, 12:48 PM
February 2012 ROTM
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Default Quit Smoking Success & Failures....

CBRF members were talking about quitting smoking on another thread, so let's start a new thread about smoking. Those who tried and failed, those who tried and succeeded. Those who tries and fallen off the wagon but still trying. Let's vent using this thread an hope those who tries will be successful.

Funny thing is that we all know 100% fact that smoking is bad for you. Drains your health & drains you pocket $$$....but we still go back smoking. I'm going on my 3rd year quitting, but have fallen of wagon handful of times...but still trying. Odd thing is 3 years already but I still have very small amount of urges to smoke in certain situations?

Anyway to totally contol this urge? Or do you have to admit & surrender....in order to succeed. If I put my daily smoke money into a piggy bank...1-2 years, I maybe able to buy a nice CBR...LOL...

Old 09-29-2011, 01:13 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have smoked since i was around 18 or so, im 34 now and think about quitting but never took that step, Seems like the more stressful life gets the more smoking I do. I have thought about and even cut down at times but never fully quit. I prolly smoke a pack a day, im going to try the vapor ciggs - electric cigg. there about $75 for a starter kit but I have heard they help give you the nicotine you crave without all the other crap. My friend has already used one and said it helped him quit. Time for me to step up

Old 09-29-2011, 01:17 PM

I started smoking when i was 17 and smoked till i was 24 then i stopped cold turkey for almost a year then started up again and smoked for another 4 years and when i met my g/f last september she told me i needed to quit and i quit cold turkey. Have had one once or twice with a group of buddies but i smoke at all anymore. I dont even have the urge to buy a pack. I picked up other things to keep me busy and i feel a lot better and g/f says i smell better too.

Old 09-29-2011, 01:27 PM
February 2012 ROTM

+1. Cold turkey take strong mental control. If you don't think about it, there is no urge.

Once you quit smoking, then you can realized how a smoker smells like. If you don't smoke, and when someone just smoked walk pass you...you can smell very obviously. That's how my girl caught me stealing a smoke here and there after I promise her I will quit.

Not having the urge to buy a pack is great start...at least to your wallet I guess... I was at a gas station and a guy purchase a pack of COOLS mental...$6.35....WTF? Last time I bought a pack is like $4

Originally Posted by herbcbr1000f
I started smoking when i was 17 and smoked till i was 24 then i stopped cold turkey for almost a year then started up again and smoked for another 4 years and when i met my g/f last september she told me i needed to quit and i quit cold turkey. Have had one once or twice with a group of buddies but i smoke at all anymore. I dont even have the urge to buy a pack. I picked up other things to keep me busy and i feel a lot better and g/f says i smell better too.

Old 09-29-2011, 02:03 PM

My brother has been smoking over 10 years now and last year he got on Chantex(prolly spelled wrong). He quit right away. Said that when he tried to smoke it just tasted gross. He was good until the subscription went up and he couldn't afford more. Now he is off the wagon again.

Old 09-29-2011, 02:08 PM

I quit smoking cold turkey...it will be three years in October. I still get a strong urge to smoke once in a while but it does pass. My last cigarette just tasted bad to me so I quit.

Old 09-29-2011, 02:13 PM
Retired Super Moderator and Fighterer
Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

you have to go cold turkey. there's no other way. i was smoking easily a pack a day in college, and dipped heavily before that, so i definitely was a nicotine fiend. my g/f (who is now my wife) was allergic to the smoke, and told me that she wasn't trying to be a jerk, but it was her or the smokes. i chose her. we took a 4 day trip out of town to get away from my smoking friends and the bars where i used to smoke and drink. i washed my clothes a few times and after the first week it wasn't that hard anymore - even when i was around my smoking friends.

after the first day, i'd just keep telling myself that if i picked up another cig, that the last ____ (however many) days of hell were for nothing. i know its cliche and from AA - but "one day at a time" really does get you through the first part of quitting smoking.

and as far as drinking after i quit - it didn't really affect me like a lot of smokers say it does. when i smoked and drank, it'd give me really bad hangovers, and when i drank without smoking, they weren't near as bad, so that urge never really came up.

i love smoking, don't get me wrong, but i physically feel so much better now that i don't want to do it. i can taste all my food again. i don't disgust other people who don't smoke. my breath isn't too bad anymore. my voice doesn't get raspy. i'm not "on-edge" as much anymore. my temper is a lot more calm.

but just like everyone else, i do miss it from time to time.

What's so wonderful about smoking? - YouTube

ever since i quit for my g/f (now wife), i haven't fallen off the bandwagon. but i did fall off before that, quitting pacts with friends, or quitting for g/f's before, sports, etc. i wasn't ready to quit then, but when i finally was, i quit cold turkey and never picked up another one. when you want to quit, you will. until then, you'll fall off, and thats okay, you have to choose when is right.

Old 09-29-2011, 04:18 PM
February 2012 ROTM

I've already got to a stage that I can say no to smoking towards friend, with beer or coffee. No need to smoke. The only cigarette that gets me is actually the one after a big argument with my GF...for some reason that's when it's the toughest....I understand not having a cig after sex is hard, but not having one after a big argument is even harder......is it me or is it normal?

Old 09-29-2011, 04:28 PM
Administrator and MVN, March 2012/Oct 2013 ROTM
Received 117 Likes on 107 Posts

it's you. smoking and fighting with the gf have nothing to do with each other. smoking wont solve anything, probably make it worse. try going for a walk. if the fight isn't too bad, take her with you and hold her hand. cant light up with your hands busy and you wont fight while walking in public- or shouldn't.

Old 09-29-2011, 04:32 PM
Retired Super Moderator and Fighterer
Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

everyone thinks that smoking a cigarette calms you down.

it does the opposite. its a stimulant, and it'll make you more on edge than you were before. what calms you down is the way you breath when you smoke. you slow down your breathing when you smoke so you can take advantage of getting the smoke.

you don't need a cig to calm down your breathing. its a mental thing. so yes, its you. and i never understood the thrill of a cig after sex. but thats me. it just never came up.

Quick Reply: Quit Smoking Success & Failures....