Off Topic A place for you CBR junkies to boldly go off topic. Almost anything goes.

Question about title with money owed?

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-2012, 09:22 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Question about title with money owed?

Wasn't really sure where to post this. Apologies if its in the wrong category. Feel free to move it if so.

Anyway. Found an ad on CraigsList of someone nearby selling a few different things- Jet Skis, a couple cars, scooters, dirtbikes, and of course, a CBR. Apparently he's trying to sell a lot of his "toys" to raise money for his wedding before his sibling passes away. He told me his sibling is terminally ill with cancer, and he just wants them to be there before they pass..

Here's the conversation exactly how it happened via SMS
-
Me:
Do you still have the bike for sale? If so, does it have a clean title/how many miles?

Him:
Yes its clean,14069. Why im selling,it for the price it is,is because it has some small scratchs I have a steep driveway and my kid knocked it over and i still owe 600 to the bank that I will pay,day of sale,and I lost my d.l,about 3 years ago, so dmv is 600 aswell,but thats on buyer

Me:
Are there any problems with the transmission? Like, does it shift through all the gears fine? (Mainly 2nd)

Him:
Nope,Runs better then new.......aftermarker put a 48 state brain,(ca and ny bikes are tuned down) and remapped to a powercomander....

Him:
sorry my bestfriends over here tryin to swindle it...lol

Me:
Is there any chance you could send some photos of the scratches? I assume the photo you have was taken before that happened. Just curious how it actually looks

Him:
Ya,i just had it on my phone, brb

Me:
That doesn't look bad at all. The ad says $3000? Is that right?

Him:
yep,if u want u can call and ill tell u why im realy sellin it,lol not anything thats trubble,cancer...

Me:
Sorry to hear that. Are you just strapped for money at the moment? Seems you could make quite a bit more off the bike than what you're asking for it

Him:
I dont have it,my oldest brothers dieing tho.and its not somuch as cash as it is time...

Him:
i NEVER planed to get married,only cause I wanted it to be big,but when I found out that..now I just want him to be there...

Me:
Well, I'm very interested, DO have the money, but I've never bought a vehicle that had money owed on it still.. Have owned 2 bikes previously and they were paid

Me:
I don't know how that would work without me getting shafted, yknow?

Him:
he has small cell cancer in his hole lungs...he found iut last sep,most dontlast 1 year....

Me:
Very sorry to hear about that

Him:
So ya im strapped on time....my bank knows everything thats going on,anf I can even have them call you,i wouldnt be the 1 to get the pink,it comes rite to you

Him:
ya it sucks,but ya,i would payit over the fone,with u there,get a confermation number,then you can call there 1800 number to conferm,thats what they said to me to say...lol

Me:
Hmm. Well, could I come check it out (Monday would be the soonest I could), and then both of us go to your bank together so I know for sure there won't be any problems? Is that possible?

Him:
Im down,but we mite be taken a little road trip if ur ok with that, its hsbc,and I really dont know where it is.there open tomorrow,ill give them a call and hit you back tom?

Me:
That sounds good to me

Him:
K ttyt
-
My question is.. am I doing the.. correct play, here? I mean, it's an '05 CBR 600rr, not mint (windshield has a crack, and the plastics have some rash) for $3000 (or $3600 if you count the DMV fees). Is there any way I can get ****ed in this situation? To me, this shouldn't have any problem selling for $4k. As it says in one of the SMS messages, any vehicles I've previously owned have had clean titles with no lien at all. Really don't know what I'm doing in this case.

Here's the photo he had on CraigsList, followed by three which he sent via MMS somewhere during the conversation

http://users.ninthfloor.org/proon/img/c.jpg

http://users.ninthfloor.org/proon/img/c2.jpg

http://users.ninthfloor.org/proon/img/c3.jpg

http://users.ninthfloor.org/proon/img/c4.jpg

Old 06-15-2012, 09:44 PM
Welcome Crew and May 2012 Ride of the Month
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If there is any type of money owing make sure you do the deal in which ever bank has the lien. Then everything can be settled at once with no problems.

Old 06-15-2012, 10:44 PM
Retired Super Moderator - At large E=MC2
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

The whole conversation screams SCAM!!!

Walk away, no run! There are too many great bikes out there.
Never jump through hoops. If it's not an easy buy, you are going to be screwed.

Ern

Old 06-15-2012, 10:51 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I would go with him to the bank and do the transfer of title there.

This is how it should happen. Meet him at the bank. With the title signed over to you, along with a bill of sale. have the title handed to one of the tellers, then hand the bank teller the total amount he wants for the bike. They will sign off on the title as lien paid and hand it back to you. He then gets the remaining money left over from the bank. Then at that point, you now own the bike. The only steps left are for you are to go to the secretary of state and get everything transfered.

The good thing here is that you have all transactions in front of witnesses. The other good thing is banks have really good security cameras and no one will plan on pulling one over on you there.

I've seen really good deals like this before and as long as he is willing to meet you at the bank, you have nothing to worry about. If he tries to get you to wire the money to the bank and all of that crap first, I'd pass. If time truly is important to him, he will have no problem meeting you there to get it settled.

The price is low, but its not so low that it would make me think its a scam.

Last edited by justasquid; 06-15-2012 at 10:56 PM.
Old 06-15-2012, 11:20 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I was thinking the same thing. It's almost too good to be true, but sometimes people get into a pinch and price things just right for a quick sell.

The only thing about meeting him right at the bank is that I wouldn't be able to take the bike for a test ride first, which is kind of scary to me.

Old 06-16-2012, 03:28 AM

I agree w/squid. My question is in New Jersey if you owe money on an item (bike,car etc,) the lien holder keeps the title until lien is satisfied? Like squid said, check out bike to confirm you want it, load it into your truck, then go w/him to the bank an do the transaction there and have a bill of sale for proof. If he will agree to that then everything is cool.I would just check all vin #s w/title to confirm it is the bike that the title shows, good luck

Old 06-17-2012, 10:08 AM

Does sounds like a Scam to me. He seemed really intent on making the point of the cancer and playing the pity card. If this is the same order as the conversation, then things seem out of place like hes trying to draw you into it, like why do you need to call him for him too tell you the real reason, when he already stated the real reason (I.E. Cancer).

Either the guy likes to tell every random person that texts him the details of his dieing brother, or hes setting you up.

My opinion, Walk away. Power walk if possible.