Off Topic A place for you CBR junkies to boldly go off topic. Almost anything goes.

PS3

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-2007, 03:47 PM
Registered Users
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: PS3

ORIGINAL: Twheat18

But, as far as a media hub vs. gaming machine, I don't think it was a bad decision by Sony to include all that extra stuff, but it was a mis-timed decision. Ultimately, all these systems are going to end up as media hubs and they will be the ones that did it first. Personally, I like how the PS3 has everything built in, it's one of the reasons I bought it.

I just felt that some of the statements being made were biased one way or the other instead of really putting everything in perspective.
i can respect that....i am a bit bias more for my hate of what became of sony (personally i am a nintendo fanboy for years)...not an MS fanboy....

as for the media hub argument...i don't think it was a "bad decision" to want to go that route...the problem was they tried to take the playstation brand and change it from a gaming system to a media hub...it's not the right time....as i said, MS is doing it slow and under the radar....it attracted first by being a next-gen gaming machine....

Sony didn't want to go that route...that is evidenced by the fact that they initial had marketing promo sheets telling vendors to describe it essential as a computer....ummm...even though the 360 is only a computer, it is marketed as a game console....Sony, if they wanted to do this, need to make a playstation machine alone, then perhaps a entertainment machine that incorporated the playstation, not convert the playstation brand...or they could have done what MS has done and just slowly beefed it up.....

i think the hardcore gamers are just pissed about Sony did to the playstation brand and rightly so in my opinion...i came onto the ps brand late but i liked the ps2, the ps3 is just not a gaming machine...i buy my 360 and Wiis to play video games, occasionally i will do other things with it, but that is my main objective...

anyone hyper techy (like myself) will likely have a computer hooked up to their tvs thus making many of the features incorporated in both the 360 and ps3 useless...as such, much of the ps3 is just overdone and destroyed the gaming machine it was intended to be...

anyone curious about how sony mucked things up pr wise....do a search on google or kotaku.com and you can read how they changed their marketing 10 times over trying to figure out how to market what was supposed to be a gaming machine (why would you have so much trouble, unless you made it something other than what it was supposed to be) - also thus the reason they fired the head of SCEA after the fact

Old 07-10-2007, 07:36 PM

PS3 is awesome.. with SOCOM and MADDEN i need nothing else!..

Old 07-10-2007, 07:40 PM

I nominate Ffingers to be moderator of Gamersforum.com (if there is such a thing). This guy knows his stuff. Sounds like the Wii would be fun to play.

P.S. I don't know anything about video games. I've had two "systems" -- Atari 2600 and Sega Genesis. (That NHL Hockey game ruled). I just borrowed a co-workers PSP and a boat-load of games for a weekend. Hated the thing.

Old 07-10-2007, 09:21 PM

I have a wii and a 360. No probs with either. I was a computer gamer before the 360. Now, its all 360. Gears of War rules!!! Im a first person shooter and I like the gore. PS3 sucks ***!!! No games and too much hype!

Old 07-10-2007, 11:37 PM

ORIGINAL: drakito

Hey a month ago Best Buy gave them away for free if you baught a tv/game/movie package.

Ya, you're basically just paying for the TV (lcd or plasma, cant remember). Free PS3, free HD movie, and free game.

Old 07-10-2007, 11:40 PM

Consoles playing movies is the biggest waste of money. Damit these are for games not movies. Go spend $50 on a dvd player.

I guess I'll get a 360 when halo 3 comes out and they finally come out with the updated 360. No the Elite edition is not the updated 360 version.

Old 07-11-2007, 12:50 AM

lol yuh that fan you bought for you xbox..... there is something with the power that it consumes that actually makes it more likely to crash! http://crunchgear.com/2006/10/27/nyk...-for-xbox-360/
I also own a 360 and a wii, the Wii is good for when you have friends over or want to play games with your girlfriend/wife. My girlfriend absolutely hates video games and thinks there dumb and doesnt hesitate to tell me so. It was the biggest fight to get her to cave in and actually agree to actually get the thing. Once we got it she LOVED it, to this day she will still say hey lets go rent a wii game or do you wanna play wii bowling or something. It seems to me that the 360 is going to be bigger then ps3 for at least the next year or 2, simply because they actually have a ton of good games coming out and in the works. Wich all 3 consoles are suffering from right now.

ORIGINAL: rangerscott

Consoles playing movies is the biggest waste of money. Damit these are for games not movies. Go spend $50 on a dvd player.
I disagree with this, playing a dvd via disc yes its not the best, it was never marketed as being your one stop dvd player. On the other hand, in the near future here I'm going to be getting a External Hard Drive for my computer and I'm going to convert my whole dvd collection(200 movies+) so it can be streamed to my xbox. It can be done in both standard def and High def, how nice is that? instead of finding your disc or getting up you just hit that big X button in the middle of your controller and find the movie you want. Not to mention renting movies, streaming satellite radio, game demos and more.

As far as the ps3 goes, When I first decided I was going to buy a "next gen" console I wanted to wait for a ps3. Being a ps2 owner and reading up on the ps3 it seemed like the logical choice. There were too many things the ps3 did that made me shy away and finally end up going with the 360. First off look at the time it took them to ship the ps3, furthermore look how many times it changed. Just the controller went from a weird uncomfortable looking boom-a-rang controller. Then the wraps were taken off of the Wii and all of a sudden the controller completely changed to a new "motion" controller that looked exactly like a ps2 controller with the rumble function taken out. Especially no rumble, I understand the reason why but they are the only ones now that dont have it. Another reason was there failure to inspire confidence in there new ground breaking technology. With this new cell processor they didn't even hype it much at all, nor did they go into depth about how or why it was so much better, they just said it was 2 or 3X more powerful then a 360(which you cant even tell from side by side comparisons from games at the moment). The price was pretty much the nail in the coffin for me, I got a 360 and a Wii for the same price as a PS3. Sorry to bash the ps3, I know it will do fine and I believe it will be the best console years down the road when the 360's age starts to show, my only problem with that is the fact that by the time the ps3 has taken over the throne, Microsoft could be well on there way to developing there 3rd xbox that can incorparate and expand on any new technology that the ps3 is excelling with.

Old 07-11-2007, 09:35 AM

I got my PS3 from BestBuy last year. I got lucky no waiting in line or anything like that. Sold my PS2 and XBOX before I bought the PS3. Still waiting for a decent game to play. To top it off, I bought the 32' XBR LCD so I could play HD games.......still waiting.

Old 07-12-2007, 07:47 PM

ORIGINAL: RBrandon

lol yuh that fan you bought for you xbox..... there is something with the power that it consumes that actually makes it more likely to crash! http://crunchgear.com/2006/10/27/nyk...-for-xbox-360/
I also own a 360 and a wii, the Wii is good for when you have friends over or want to play games with your girlfriend/wife. My girlfriend absolutely hates video games and thinks there dumb and doesnt hesitate to tell me so. It was the biggest fight to get her to cave in and actually agree to actually get the thing. Once we got it she LOVED it, to this day she will still say hey lets go rent a wii game or do you wanna play wii bowling or something. It seems to me that the 360 is going to be bigger then ps3 for at least the next year or 2, simply because they actually have a ton of good games coming out and in the works. Wich all 3 consoles are suffering from right now.

I disagree with this, playing a dvd via disc yes its not the best, it was never marketed as being your one stop dvd player. On the other hand, in the near future here I'm going to be getting a External Hard Drive for my computer and I'm going to convert my whole dvd collection(200 movies+) so it can be streamed to my xbox. It can be done in both standard def and High def, how nice is that? instead of finding your disc or getting up you just hit that big X button in the middle of your controller and find the movie you want. Not to mention renting movies, streaming satellite radio, game demos and more.

As far as the ps3 goes, When I first decided I was going to buy a "next gen" console I wanted to wait for a ps3. Being a ps2 owner and reading up on the ps3 it seemed like the logical choice. There were too many things the ps3 did that made me shy away and finally end up going with the 360. First off look at the time it took them to ship the ps3, furthermore look how many times it changed. Just the controller went from a weird uncomfortable looking boom-a-rang controller. Then the wraps were taken off of the Wii and all of a sudden the controller completely changed to a new "motion" controller that looked exactly like a ps2 controller with the rumble function taken out. Especially no rumble, I understand the reason why but they are the only ones now that dont have it. Another reason was there failure to inspire confidence in there new ground breaking technology. With this new cell processor they didn't even hype it much at all, nor did they go into depth about how or why it was so much better, they just said it was 2 or 3X more powerful then a 360(which you cant even tell from side by side comparisons from games at the moment). The price was pretty much the nail in the coffin for me, I got a 360 and a Wii for the same price as a PS3. Sorry to bash the ps3, I know it will do fine and I believe it will be the best console years down the road when the 360's age starts to show, my only problem with that is the fact that by the time the ps3 has taken over the throne, Microsoft could be well on there way to developing there 3rd xbox that can incorparate and expand on any new technology that the ps3 is excelling with.

I dont watch movies on my consoles cuase the less use, the more they'll last. Now I have my xbox modded with tons of stuff on it. That doesnt bother cuase if the hard drive goes, I'll just get a bigger drive and work in cooling for it.

Old 07-12-2007, 08:19 PM

I dont watch movies on my consoles cuase the less use, the more they'll last. Now I have my xbox modded with tons of stuff on it. That doesnt bother cuase if the hard drive goes, I'll just get a bigger drive and work in cooling for it.
I know the xbox's have been having overheating issues but from what it sounds like to me it stems from people playing there 360 13 hours straight for how ever many days in a row. What I'm talking about requires no modding or even your xbox hd for that matter its a $150 computer hard drive that is networked from my desktop to my pc, so it wouldnt matter. As far as the less you use the longer it lasts, I've had a ps2 for what 7-8 years and not once did I ever have an issue with it. The 360 is more or less a computer, do you leave your home computer running all the time? I hope not, by your logic it is going to explode into a fireball of mass destruction if you use it too much.