Off Topic A place for you CBR junkies to boldly go off topic. Almost anything goes.

PS3

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-2007, 10:53 AM
Retired Moderator
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default PS3

Well, I guess Sony is dropping there price on the 60 gig unit by $100. Sounds like a bit of desparation. I heard they already lose money on each unit sold. Maybe they should consider making some good games for it! How about all those suckers that bought them off of Ebay for thousands...

Old 07-10-2007, 10:59 AM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default RE: PS3

Hey a month ago Best Buy gave them away for free if you baught a tv/game/movie package.

Old 07-10-2007, 11:01 AM

hell, id rock one if i had one given to me for free...still not payin $500 for a ps3 tho

Old 07-10-2007, 11:20 AM

PS3 should be called POS. I'd much rather have a Wii, but I can't find one anywhere!

Old 07-10-2007, 11:32 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

all consoles lose money when they are sold, they make it back by charging $60/game and for accessories. there is a rumored 360 price cut as well to be announced soon. thats funny, cant find a Wii, and they can barely give the ps3 away.

Old 07-10-2007, 11:34 AM
Registered Users

i am an "expert" in video games....a.k.a. video game nerd...haha...

doesn't surprise me at all...sony really miffed this launch and overall miffed the ps3....they were assuming they would ride on the success of the ps2 and thought they could get away with winning the format war by bundling a blu-ray player with the ps3 rather than focusing on the system. consequently the price got too high and are now eating losses

the wii right now is MAKING money per unit sold which is a first in gaming...traditionally, systems take a loss for the first few years making their money on licensing....nintendo being smart focused on gameplay and not revamping the hardware engine allowing them to re-use the gamecube system architecture....means lower dev costs and income per unit sold....the x360 is still selling at a loss per unit granted it's only in the $30 range or so per unit now (i think that's about right) wehreas sony is losing over $100 per unit (i heard it was as high as almost $200 at one point)

i have both a wii and x360 and those two combined are easily the complete gaming solution...the wii for quick sit down fun (except for titles like Zelda which are incredible) and the x360 is stunning visually (many side by sides with the PS3 have shown a net gain of zero over each system in terms of graphics) plus the AI on the x360 is light years beyond the ps3 because of the way it is put together....

for all you that don't have a wii....SUCKAS!!!! no just kidding, i waited nine hours in the rain for one on launch day.....i am such a nerd...it's the first time in my 20 some odd years of gaming i have EVER waited for a system on launch day, but i have to tell you...it's totally worth...the most fun thing i have ever played...i even got my grandma to play and my mother-in-law wants one and yells at me everytime i don't bring it up to their summer cabin....

any other questions, feel free to ask the resident video game DORK!

edit: just a note, MS has explicitly denied an upcoming price cut....in fact, a PR person for MS just took a jab at sony stating that they are still selling x360 in steady streams where it has been out for a year more and yet sony being out less than 9 months have had to drop their price....it was a two handed comment that bashed sony for having too expensive of a system while also saying, "we're selling fine, no need for a price cut"

Old 07-10-2007, 12:39 PM
TEN

I've got a PS3...love it. I've played the Wii and to tell you the truth, it drove me crazy. The graphicsdon't seem to be that good and the "interactive game play" mumbo jumbo gets a bit old after a while. I just don't see what the craze is all about...is it because it is something new? Yeah, the PS3 is dropping prices and honestly they should, but the system is still kick *** and as the games get more plentiful andmore advancedit should really take off. jmo.

Im not a online player though, so those of you that live in the online gaming networks, i can't speak to that.

Old 07-10-2007, 12:51 PM

We have all three systems at my house, ps3, 360 and a Wii, so I guess you could say i'm a nerd, and I would have to say that of the 3 I like playing the ps3 more so than the other two, just a personal opinionIguess, or quite possibly the fact that all I played before was a ps2....really boils down to personalpreference I guess.

Old 07-10-2007, 12:57 PM
Registered Users

that's definitely true....it really is only a personal preference....

from a technical standpoint....the BS sony tries to feed is really bad...it's not "so much more powerful" than the x360 and the graphics are NOT better....there have been numerous side by sides and one was even done in a THEATER to see what people thought....bottom line, for the price difference, unless you are a fan of sony and the playstation brand, not worth getting....especially since a LOT of 3rd party exclusives that were only Sony's are now crossing over the x360 and the wii...

as for the wii, not to sound crass, but if you don't like, either you decided to not like it before you played it, or you are heavy into graphics which is a preference....on the innovative side, Nintendo is the king...from the NES to the Wii they are the true innovators (except in online gaming, that goes to MS hands down)

the PS3, in my humble opinion, pound for pound, does not bring anything to the table to justify not only the price, but their arrogance....and i quote (from a sony exec prior to PS3 release, after MS release)

"Next gen doesn't start until we say it does" (or something to that effect)

frickin c'mon......

Old 07-10-2007, 01:19 PM
Retired Moderator
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The PS3 that we have in our house (roommate bought it as a Blu-ray & Tiger Woods ONLY system) is a POS. The HDMI connection freaks out every 10 minutes, which damn near blows our subwoofer when it pops and flickers the sound. We had it swapped (under the Best Buy Service Plan) twice, and it still does the same damned thing. Our Xbox 360 Elite has no problems. Our Toshiba HD-A20 HD-DVD Player has no problems, neither does our old, ORIGINAL PS2. So I'm thinking they built these things to be pieces of shiznit.

Sony is really feeling it from it's competitors. Their "Blu-ray" format is a joke, and every study out there saying that it's "winning" the format war is actually funded BY Sony. That's the reason they've been giving away 5-free Blu-ray discs with their Blu-ray players lately........desperation to gain back market share from the lost HD-DVD sales from when Toshiba dropped their HD-DVD players to $299 while the Sony players were still $999.

Not to mention, the 360 came out a full year before the PS3. People bought the Xbox as the "next generation system" and when the PS3 came out, customers were already used to the next generation systems, so the Sony PS3 felt like a let down because it didn't bring anything new to the table. (That's why the Wii is so freaking popular.) The Nintendo Wii actually DID bring something new to the table (which is fun game-play and cleaver games). That's why the Wii is outselling the PS3 3:1.

The End.