Off Topic A place for you CBR junkies to boldly go off topic. Almost anything goes.

Pho

Search this Thread

Old 11-01-2008, 06:51 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Pho

Love Pho. Had some at a few different places in Honolulu's Chinatown just recently. All of the condiments is what does it for me, but it's all about the broth. You can have good rice noodles, fresh thai basil, cilantro, green onion, lime/lemon, chili, sauces, beansprouts, tender sliced beef (or "good" tripe-lol), etc. but if the broth's funky, (read not homemade) it sucks. I love the Asian concept of combination of flavors, and though the Thai cuisine specializes in this, is evident in this Vietnamese soup (Pho). It's salty, brothy(umami) , spicy, sour, and a bit sweet.

Make sure you say it right fellas, it's pronounced like "fuh" (fu%k with out the k) not "faux" (as in friend or foe). Great with a side of spring rolls (also called summer rolls...the ones that aren't fried...though the fried spring rolls are good too...just a bit too greasy with the rich broth)

This isn't very easy to make at home, IMO. It's not like Italian food. Any douschebag can make a pasta dish as good as the Olive Garden (not so great anyway) or even as good as a very highly regarded Italian restaurant, b/c the process isn't difficult, and the ingredients are easy to find. You would probably have to go to an Asian grocery somewhere to get the right stuff for pho, at least if you want one-stop shopping. Make sure they have Vietnamese foods, though. Sometimes these places mostly have Chinese, Japanese, and Korean foods. Most important is the hard to find cuts of meat like oxtail, beef shin, pork and beef collar bones, and beef cartilage. If you live in a reasonable city, you'll probably find a place, but don't be surprised if it still doesn't turn out as good as a restaurant's pho, and it won't be quick and easy to make.

**** guys, you know I can go on all day with this stuff...I'm a big foodie (I hate the term though). I guess food-obsessed is closer, but makes it seem like there's something wrong with it. Whatever, I come here more for bike stuff. There are other forums for food discussion. There is something cool about doing it here though. Mostly because the people aren't as stiff .

Teeks, I should check out that cookbook. Looks interesting.

Old 11-01-2008, 07:15 AM
Banned

I pity the Pho

Old 11-01-2008, 07:37 AM

Pho Sho.

Old 11-01-2008, 07:39 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

This is my place,

http://phodanh.com

In fact I'll be there for lunch today. Anyone in the area wanna join me, let me know.

Old 11-01-2008, 07:55 AM

ORIGINAL: TheX

This is my place,

http://phodanh.com

In fact I'll be there for lunch today. Anyone in the area wanna join me, let me know.
Sorry dude, but IMO, if the place has a website, it isn't right. That's not to say that it doesn't taste good, or that it isn't good quality food. It looks too modern and trendy. I just feel better if it's a small family place.

...not to change the subject, but you should try bun bo hue, if you like lemongrass...

Old 11-01-2008, 07:58 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The Pho at this place is totally traditional and rockin. Pho Hoang down the street is cash only and small. They have the killer lemon grass vermicceli too.

Old 11-01-2008, 08:10 AM
Banned

Pho Hoang PTW!!!(Pho the win)

Old 11-01-2008, 09:05 AM
Retired Moderator

I would open up a place called Pho Shizzle. It would also have a place to get your grill done!

Old 11-01-2008, 10:16 AM

X, you should try the pho house down on Guadalupe!!!(i think its guadalupe LOL) its right across the street from the college and next to veggie heaven. its small and parkings a B unless your on your bike but the food is ohhh so good, i used to love to eat there. they have 1 dollar spring rolls and they have peanut sauce to dip them it, it rocks man. its at the corner of Guad and MLK.

Old 11-01-2008, 02:08 PM
Retired Moderator ans All Around Good Guy

do you get the trai cay with the ot va muoi ? its a little strange at first but suprisingly yummy.