CBR Forum - Enthusiast forums for Honda CBR Owners

CBR Forum - Enthusiast forums for Honda CBR Owners (https://cbrforum.com/forum/)
-   Off Topic (https://cbrforum.com/forum/off-topic-6/)
-   -   Philly area: Bike was stolen... karma got the theives... getting my baby back... (https://cbrforum.com/forum/off-topic-6/philly-area-bike-stolen-karma-got-theives-getting-my-baby-back-100010/)

dohcdelsol 08-30-2009 10:53 PM

Philly area: Bike was stolen... karma got the theives... getting my baby back...

Update 2/25/10
Finally justice has been served. Ok, where to begin? My first court preliminary happened in Bensalem. THe only thing i had to do what testify that i didnt know the guy who stole me bike. Court case got moved to Doylestown, Pa. Since Xmas time i received the restitution paperwork to file and first court date on Jan. 4th. Court was pushed off. Jan 25th. Court pushed off. Feb 1. Again. Finally Feb. 22nd, Here we go. Get to the court house and its mayhem. People everywhere. I find out that the guy who stole me bike turn down the plea agreement of 12-18 months county jail and fines. Takes it to trial.

We had 5 people testify against him, all of who had there bikes stolen the same night. We had 3 undercover state troopers that work for the Auto Theft Task Force testify. We had the informant (rat/snitch) with 2 recorded phone conversations testify. Case was open and shut for the jury. They were in there for 45 minutes. He was charged and found guilty on 5 counts of Theft by unlawful taking, 5 counts of Selling Stolen property, and 2 counts of Conspiricey (whatever that means). Each count is a minimum 12-18 months State Prison. He'll do his time continuously. Anotherwords, atleast 5 years jail plus restitution. I get 1700.00 from a Victims Foundation over time.

The court system actually worked. I get to close the chapter of this book as i just bought an 05rr and open a new one.

UPDATE 10/30

I got a phone call friday after work from a state trooper asking me if i would like to appear in court this thursday for a preliminary hearing. The guy that was caught selling my bike to an undercover state trooper for 800 bucks has been in jail since the 29th of aug. Most likely he will wave his rights. The trooper stopped by my house in person and had me sign a court form. I asked about seeing if ima get any money back for the lost cover/HIDs/deductible/days worth of pay/tires and he told me that ill def get something back. might not be right away though. could be in the range of 2000. just another thief off the road.

UPDATE:

The Pennsylvania State Police finally released my bike today and i went to pick it up. The f*ckers destroyed it. Mirrors snapped off. HIDs removed. Cover and Alarm taken, gas tank has a huge dent in it, both side fairings scratched to hell, rear cowl all scrapped up, seat was slashed and torn. Rear tailight shattered. Bike was still rideable so i gimpped my ass home. after a $1000 deductible :ouch: ill end up getting a check from insurance for bout 5grand once all is said and done. :hopefully:

The other bikes there were 2 Kawaski's, another cbr 954, cbr1000rr(brand new btw), and a suzuki busa. some with mirrors missing, tags all gone, all cosmetic damage. The trooper told me that he is in jail but not sure what he'll be charged with. If its receiving stolen property then he'll get off easy. If its Thief then he'll be getting locked up for a while. He might give up several of his accomplices for a lesser charge. Then when thats all said and done i can take him to court and sue to get my deductible back. but i was told he's a low life and i doubt he'll pay it back.

Atleast my baby was KIA and brought home instead of MIA/POW and never to return.

Original story:
So i walked out of my apartment on wednesday morning to go to work. jumpd in my car, backed out, and started to go off. then it clicked. my f4i wasnt parked next to my can anymore. omg the worst thing has happened. someone stole it.

i cryed a little bit. called the police and called the insurence company. i thought i lived in a nice quite area. guess not. insurence told me i gotta wait 20-25 days and if its not recovered then they cut me a check for retail value. i'd end up losing 500-1000 bucks when all was said and done. only owned the cbr for 5 months.

ive become a miserable person. basically hate life and everyone i encountered. ima good person. work hard. pay my bills. stay out of trouble. rescued some baby kittens the other week. then this **** happens. well early sunday morning i get a phone call. check the papers.

http://www.phillyburbs.com/news/loca...heft-crew.html

omg one of those bikes has got to be mine. i hurry to the police department that i filled out the report with. they pull up the flle and sure enough my vin was reported recovered. the yardley borough pd gives me the number to the bensalem pd. they patch me through to the detective running the investigation. turns out he didnt work on sundays.

the motorcycles were recovered on friday around 4:15. so they might have sat outside during the several rainstorms over the weekend. my baby is at one of the impound lots. im waiting to hear back from the detective on monday.

finally +1 for the good guys

customseatcreations 08-30-2009 11:08 PM

Hope your baby is ok. Let us know what happens.

Best of luck!

Hangfire 08-30-2009 11:14 PM

Congrats, that's great. Finally a story involving the police that isn't a rant about "undeserved" tickets and actually something positive. Hopefully she comes back in one piece, it's awesome knowing the guy who stole it is on his way to jail.

Kuroshio 08-31-2009 06:06 AM

Got a quick question: did you have the forks locked?

I lock the forks and have an alarm on my bike. And I live in Philly. Locking the forks won't stop a group of people from simply picking her up but will prevent a roll off. Not that I park on the street often but I do if I'm not done for the day.

Good job on getting her back. You're a better guy than me. I'd been kicking kittens and anyone who looked like they could steal a motorcycle. Would say this tho: if I was a buyer and someone offered me a $7k bike for $800, I'd have checked the VIN and called the cops. It's why when looking for mine, I didn't talk to anyone who couldn't produce a title ("bill of sale"? WTF would I want to be charged with receiving stolen merchandise?)

Elfling 08-31-2009 08:06 AM

See? Saving those baby kittens paid off!

Grats dude :)

bambam 08-31-2009 10:58 AM

Thieves suck

Ive had chit stolen from me, and it takes your security feel away,and puts you in a low place. that is a sick feelin that dont go away eazily. Hppy for ya that your bike was recovered, i hope they found it before the boogers got it started, also hope the scratches are few. Good luck today with gettin it back.

cbrsix 08-31-2009 11:03 AM

Glad to hear you can get her back... You have any extra kittens laying around thats ud give away?

kilgoretrout 08-31-2009 12:10 PM

You have any extra kittens laying around thats ud give away?
What is your intention with said kittens?
Is it kitty juggling? LOL..

Congrats on finding your bike, delsol... I hope it's in just as good of shape as before. Luckily it was found sooner rather than later...

bammerman 08-31-2009 03:15 PM

The downfall of a bike being stolen is it is really easy to sell of as a legal bike. All they have to do is swap the frame and get a bill of sale from the salvage place and poof legal bike. There were people doing that here in NV and buying the frames from CA and selling the bikes for damn near brand new. They were making a killing till one of the guys didn't get a fair cut and snitched

RojerLockless 08-31-2009 03:27 PM

I bet if you would have kicked the baby kitties you not only would have gotten your bike back but you would have met hot twin strippers at the impound lot who want to do bad things to you.

:)

dohcdelsol 08-31-2009 04:17 PM

UPDATE: yeah i dont have one. all i know is that my vin number is in an evidence storage facility locked away. im still waiting for the detective to call me back. everyone says to keep calling him. my father is an investigator for the State of NJ an he advised not to keep bugging him and let him do his job. so with fingers crossed i hope its not damaged. might be a week to several months before i get it back. to many situations to effect the outcome.

and bout the kittens, ive actually grown to like them. i hate cats but these little guys are a lot of fun to play with. and they clean up after themselves. only have two and im already 150 bucks into them after vet bills/toys/food etc so im really considering keeping them.

will update as soon as i hear something. atleast my vin is safe somewhere for now...

Kuroshio 08-31-2009 10:03 PM

Originally Posted by dohcdelsol (Post 830959)
UPDATE: yeah i dont have one. all i know is that my vin number is in an evidence storage facility locked away. im still waiting for the detective to call me back. everyone says to keep calling him. my father is an investigator for the State of NJ an he advised not to keep bugging him and let him do his job. so with fingers crossed i hope its not damaged. might be a week to several months before i get it back. to many situations to effect the outcome.

and bout the kittens, ive actually grown to like them. i hate cats but these little guys are a lot of fun to play with. and they clean up after themselves. only have two and im already 150 bucks into them after vet bills/toys/food etc so im really considering keeping them.

will update as soon as i hear something. atleast my vin is safe somewhere for now...

Have you tried going to the station yet? You should be able to get a status of your property from anyone working the desk. Also the local D.A. might be more cooperative since you have information concerning the suspects' crime (location, general timeframe). And they should have info concerning the condition since it should be logged as evidence

dohcdelsol 08-31-2009 10:55 PM

i was thinking of doing that tmrw after wrk after i talk to my insurance agent. got a meeting with him in the morning. cant hurt to go over and ask.

blkmz3 09-02-2009 08:37 AM

i remember when my buddies bike got stolen in front of our west philly apt. cop said its prob in new york by now. say goodbye and left.

dohcdelsol 09-02-2009 04:46 PM

UPDATE:

after the run around bensalem pd doesnt have my bike, state police does. i gotta pay the town to get it outa the impound lot. insurence will cover that later. just waiting for them 2 release it.

drax13 09-02-2009 07:30 PM

Awesome man hope your on her soon +1 for Karma!!!!!!!

dohcdelsol 09-03-2009 04:40 PM

Finally im getting somewhere. i get to go to the impound lot to look at my bike and ride it home if i can. already paid the 150 dollar tow. insurence will reimburse me for that i hope.

dohcdelsol 09-04-2009 10:03 PM

got her back. destroyed. f*ck thieves.

customseatcreations 09-05-2009 03:44 AM

Originally Posted by dohcdelsol (Post 833045)
got her back. destroyed. f*ck thieves.

So sorry to hear that. Do you have any photos of the damage?

dohcdelsol 09-05-2009 09:38 AM

ima take photos today and post em up.

R1FLO 09-08-2009 07:53 PM

man congrats on gettin the bike back ..My 02 R1 was stolen aug 25th out from under my carport .. Nothing yet as of now .. I'm sure its probably been parted and swapped to another frame .. Sucks they messed up the bike but atleast you got it back .. Somtimes if your good with the insurance its better just to get paid out on it and buy a new bike <if they dont find it .. In my case i didnt have full coverage so im at a total loss at the moment so i have to hope they recover . I too am in that everyone is suspect frame of mind and am at a ultimate low ..So i bought a 929 to make my self feel better ..LoL Still not working though ... Goodluck with gettin her back in brand new shape ..

dohcdelsol 09-11-2009 06:28 PM

insurance is picking up the bike tmrw. i ended up losing 3-500 bucks when all is said and done. atleast there is one thief in jail. pics will be up tmrw.

Kuroshio 09-11-2009 06:55 PM

Originally Posted by dohcdelsol (Post 836086)
insurance is picking up the bike tmrw. i ended up losing 3-500 bucks when all is said and done. atleast there is one thief in jail. pics will be up tmrw.

Sorry to hear bout the totalling. So the insurance company is cutting the dealer a check?

gotcbr 09-11-2009 07:23 PM

Sorry you had to go thru that. Been there done that! My bike was never recovered though. Glad you got yours back but sorry to hear of damage. At least you'll have justice & resolution though. Glad the thief is in jail!

thrasher572 09-12-2009 11:05 AM

The justice system sucks when dealing with these crimes in Canada. The charges are pressed by the crown, and considered a crime against society not an individual victim. When stacked up against crimes af larger valued items they tend to be considered petty thefts. These guys get away with little more than a slap on the wrist. I had two damaged bikes returned and the thief got a warm place to sleep with three meals a day.
Catch them yourself and hang them from the nearest tree... they used to do that with horse theives.

HAVOC 09-14-2009 11:47 AM

update ?

DaoJones 09-14-2009 01:12 PM

Grats on getting your bike back. Hope you sort it out soon. I had a car stolen once. Sucks even with insurance.
Best of luck!

dohcdelsol 09-16-2009 08:32 PM

by the time i got to my house on saturday the tow guy beat me there and already had the bike up on the flat bed. btw they tow bikes laying down. could see the drag marks from wenching it. so no pics. sry.

i got just under 4700.00. minus 1000 deductable. plus aftermarket stuff (none of which i bought, came with the bike) insurence cut me 4400, 150 under retail price and what i paid. so 150 lost, 120 for my cover that was stolen and not recovered. 80 bucks for the HIDs that were not recovered.

It'll be a while before i hear anything bout the guy but hope he gets a$$ fawkd in jail. twice.

Kuroshio 09-16-2009 08:50 PM

so when you getting a new bike? :)

dohcdelsol 10-31-2009 07:43 PM

update, check 1st page

Kuroshio 10-31-2009 08:08 PM

So do you get the $5k and the wreck? Or just the $5k? She might be repairable with the $5k. Resell will suck as you'll have a salvage title

dohcdelsol 10-31-2009 10:38 PM

insurance said either 1800 to fix or check for 4400 and take the bike. bike was tainted to me so i took the 4400. if it was all cosmetic i woulda tryed to fix but something in the rear just didnt feel right and it was getting loose past 60mph.

been lookin at 600rr's or f4i's but havent found anything yet.

pacemaker 11-01-2009 01:38 AM

Glad you got your bike back, but 1st your sad & angry that someone stole it & then you get to see wot this drop kick did to it, pretty hard to take.
Touch wood, never had a bike stolen, but had a few that had bits (mirrors & so on) & paint & plastic damage from retards. Quite a few friends that have had them stolen though & never recovered them. I think the law on stealing bikes should be like in the old days, same as stealing a horse & we can hang the bastards.
Maybe you can make a deal with the insurance company & if they can knock $500 of the payout for 5 minutes alone with this guy.

dwschultzy 11-01-2009 08:25 AM

buy it back....turn into a track bike

then go find yourself another street bike
problem solved

good to see you have gotten some "closure" on this.....thieves suck...boobs dont

dohcdelsol 11-01-2009 11:35 PM

to me it was like finding the perfect virgin. she had the perfect color, the perfect curves and loved to be ridden really hard. then some dirtbag touches your perfect bike and it becomes tainted. riding that bike again felt like having sex with you're girlfriend right after she tells you she just cheated on you. its just plain wrong.

im about 3 grand shy of buying a brand new 600rr. i litterally starved myself to save up for that bike. i didnt go out and spend a single penny in over 6 months. paid my bills and worked my ass off for it. i dunno if my body can take doing that again. might just finance one this time.

Kuroshio 11-01-2009 11:42 PM

Originally Posted by dohcdelsol (Post 853873)
to me it was like finding the perfect virgin. she had the perfect color, the perfect curves and loved to be ridden really hard. then some dirtbag touches your perfect bike and it becomes tainted. riding that bike again felt like having sex with you're girlfriend right after she tells you she just cheated on you. its just plain wrong.

Serious answer (though phrased jokingly) it depends on how good she was at sex.

She'd never be my girlfriend again. But I might just ride her till I find another more permanent replacement ;)

dohcdelsol 02-26-2010 09:27 PM

new update

justice is served

Kuroshio 02-26-2010 09:41 PM

How so? They convict the asses?

CBRfenatic93 02-26-2010 11:11 PM

Ooooo Do tell!!

dohcdelsol 02-26-2010 11:50 PM

haha sorry check first post for update