Off Topic A place for you CBR junkies to boldly go off topic. Almost anything goes.

Patriotic stuff

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-2009, 11:39 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by JHouse
So peace in the middle east is not a worthy goal because achieving it will take too long?
For me it's not a question of 'When?' It's a simple question: How?

Old 11-30-2009, 11:47 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

By providing enough civil order to allow people to live and work and save and invest and raise their families without the threat of death from civil unrest.

Old 12-01-2009, 12:28 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by mightymouse657
well raylee, if u want to look at being there like that, then we shouldnt have been in WW2 either. more or less the same idea there. granted theres probably underlying things that none of us know about that could be reasons for us to be there. You just have to accept that as long as there are evil people doing evil things in this world, we will always have a military.
Just Ray
I see a fine distinction between the reasons we fought in WW2 and the current Iraq war simply for the fact that there was a definite immediate threat to our shores from the "Axis of Evil", not only from Japan's actual strike in Hawaii, but also the plans of Germany/Austria to spread their ill-will across the Atlantic. If you look at the facts surrounding the Bush administrations to invade Iraq, it all seems so shaky. There were no WMDs found and the evidence put forth that they directly supplied the plans for the 9-11 attacks are flimsy at best. The hijackers on the plane were mainly Saudi and Egyptian if I remember correctly, but we didn't invade them for retribution.

As far as peace in the middle east, it's an ideological war over there, you put a test of hardship or face guns at religious zealots and they will see it as a test from God. There are many who believe in the righteous underdog fighting against the overpowered iron heel of an oppressive power, it's just a disagreement of perspectives. However, I don't think it's currently any of our business. Once we get it right ourselves and work out a system that doesn't oppress many and reward so few, maybe we can talk about changing the world in our image. I say we first fix healthcare, our economy (unemployment, banks running away with our capital, the rest of the world owning our debt assets, inflaction), social rights (abortion, gay marriage, etc.), and I dunno, domestic cops who take advantage of their position.

Old 12-01-2009, 05:26 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by JHouse
By providing enough civil order to allow people to live and work and save and invest and raise their families without the threat of death from civil unrest.
See Raylee's reply below yours.

Old 12-01-2009, 11:24 AM

Everyone here that Obama just increased the troops going to afghanistan to 35000. Thats ontop of the 70000 already there. Sounds to me like Obama is falling back on wanting to get all the troops home. haha. I just think its pretty funny how everyone loved this guy and now his approval rating is getting worse. The Rasmussen Reports daily Presidential Tracking Poll for Tuesday shows that 27% of the nation's voters Strongly Approve of the way that Barack Obama is performing his role as President. Forty percent (40%) Strongly Disapprove giving Obama a Presidential Approval Index rating of -13. Thats only 10 percent over Bush when he left office?! Sounds to me like people should do a bit more thinking before they go out and vote. Everyone remember this? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GqAiarOhC2U Its about 6 mins FYI.

Old 12-01-2009, 11:48 AM
Redcoat, & Maxwell's Silver Hammer, MVN and curmudgeon
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I wrote this awhile ago.
Anyone who thinks that military people are in it to fight, has never been in a war. I met some of the best men and women in the service.............God bless them every one.
Someone said, if you want peace, be prepared for war..............and of course the classic A good offence is the best defence.
I don't think there is a solution to the problem - man has been at war for religion or whatever else back to the dawn of time. That ain't gonna change overnight.......................
Protesters who denigrate the military are clearly failing to understand the role of the military, in providing the peace we all crave, and so many have died for.
I lost enough friends in dirty little wars that no-one cares about anymore to know that the soldier is as much a tool, as the weapon he carries.
I say send the first regiment in - manned by all the politicians, of whatever persuasion they may be who want to start a war. There'd be one fight, but probably no more. Save a lot of good servicepeople that way...........

Without our men and women in uniform, liberty, freedom of speech and the right to life, would be figments of our imagination. Your protesters need a lesson in humility....................

THE SOLDIERS COME

They search the rubble, ever alert for the other bomb, the one that is held back until the security forces arrive, to maximize the impact, and the body count.
Dusty hands, grazed from scrabbling through the bricks, seeking life, but seldom finding any signs, for the explosives are powerful, easily hidden and rigged for maximum effect.
The eyes are weary, bloodshot from the dust and fumes, and always expressive – sorrow, anger, fear, frustration, and in some, joy, masked as they slip away to celebrate their victory….. Over whom?
The sirens wail, as the emergency vehicles move the fortunate few who may have been lucky, and only lose an eye, or an arm or leg, perhaps just their fingers…..
Not really a problem unless you’re a musician…..
The glass can be a real killer. Crunching now under foot, slippery shards that fly to cut and maim, to disfigure and terrify.
The rows of victims under makeshift cover, beyond all help now, masked by a blanket or kindly coat, until the body bags arrive, giving at last some sense of dignity.
The soldiers, crouched in doorways, eyes flitting nervously over the crowds, seeking the known face, the exultant smirk, the furtive movement.
Hands on triggers, safeties off, ready and willing to exact some recompense, or reduce a further threat. Powerless really for the threat is probably long gone, knowing the movement and times of response, from hours of observation. Old eyes in young faces, which have seen too much too soon, and will not forget…….
Where is this ? You may well ask…
It could be anywhere- Ireland, East Timor, Cambodia, Iraq, Israel, South Africa, Congo, New York, The Pentagon, A Scottish village called Lockerbie…..or England
Find me a place and I’ll give you an answer….
But who are the victims ?
We are.

All that's between us and anarchy are our military - I wish it wasn't so, but......

Old 12-01-2009, 11:51 AM

that is exactly why people should be required to take a test before they can vote. and people complain about all the morons we have in government. i just hope now that we got the "historic" first black president out of the way that we can elect someone that knows whats going on in 2012.

Old 12-01-2009, 08:54 PM

I thought Clinton was the first black president? And Obama is from Kansas and his mom was blond.

Old 12-01-2009, 10:40 PM

I think it's debatable who our first black president was. Possibly Clinton because he chilled in the hood and was down with playing basketball and the sax. I really think it was George W. Bush, that guy was straight up gangsta the way he came in and robbed us blind. None of this is factually backed up, it's a joke, so no flaming, please.

Last edited by raylee; 12-01-2009 at 10:44 PM. Reason: Horribly off-topic and I don't want to start a political flamewar

Quick Reply: Patriotic stuff