Off Topic A place for you CBR junkies to boldly go off topic. Almost anything goes.

Parking tickets

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-2008, 09:19 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Parking tickets

I know we have some people on here that are familiar with the law. Got a question for you. I just got two tickets in 2 days for parking perpendicular with the curb at school. Basically i park on a street where everyone else parks parallel in their cars so i park perpendicular to the curb with my rear wheel touching the curb. Is this illegal? The Texas motorcycle operators manual stats to park this way. But the citations are for parking more than 18 inches from the curb (of course they are talking about the front tire). My bike doesn't even stick out past the cars that are parked in front of me. Can someone shed some light on this situation. I have received this ticket before in another locatinon and took it to court and it was dismissed. What should i do?

Old 09-24-2008, 09:23 PM
Retired Moderator ans All Around Good Guy
Default RE: Parking tickets

take it back to court and argue this one too. sounds like bs to me

Old 09-24-2008, 09:25 PM

I have no Idea.....I'm curious to know the answer also......

Old 09-24-2008, 09:35 PM
VP

I was under the impression a motorcycle could be parked perpendicular because of their ability to park multiple bikes in a single spot...I'd say take that one to court too but somebody will probably be able to find the exact law on that

Old 09-24-2008, 10:49 PM

I would say it is ridiculous that you even got a ticket for that! Do they have designated motorcycle parking? If so, that might be why they issued a ticket.

Take it back to court and have it dismissed.

Old 09-24-2008, 10:52 PM

Name:  11475-60411-bull****jpg-550x-1.jpg
Views: 8
Size:  25.8 KB

Old 09-24-2008, 11:03 PM

my motorcycle guide i read b4 taking the test SAID to park your rear tire perpendicular to the curb, the cop that wrote that is a dumba$$, take it to court

Old 09-24-2008, 11:06 PM

post up the results, because i make frequent trips into a city, and most of the lots won't even ALLOW bikes to park there. So i want to know!

Old 09-25-2008, 06:22 AM

I emailed a hearing officer about this issue and he brought up some points:

" There is nothing in the law that distinguishes a motorcycle from any other vehicle when it comes to parking. Therefore, the officer that issued the citation is following the law, not a manual. I would recommend not parking in that manner if you want to eliminate the potential for receiving a citation. Any issues with regard to the manual should be addressed to the DPS. Any issues with regard to the officers should be addressed to the Police Department. If you would like to set a hearing, please follow the instructions on the citation."

Like I said, i have got this ticket before. I also spoke to the Lieutenant of the officer that wrote my ticket and he straight out told me " There is nothing in the city code that says you CAN NOT park in that manner." He seems to be the one that might help me out here. He is trying to get the tickets dismissed so i dont even have to go to court and he is going to talk to the officer that wrote the tickets and tell him to stop wasting paper.

My problem with this issue is, if they are going to write you a ticket for something then why do they teach this technique in the MSF courses and within the manual? Do you guys think i should get the local news involved? It seems like an issue that may take a while to get resolved, especially because city code says nothing about it.

The second ticket i got, was funny. After the first ticket, i came home, downloaded the motorcycle users manual from the texas DPS, printed the page that states how to park properly and taped it to my windscreen with a not on there that read "see, this is not illegal." Seems that the officer did not read my note though and still wrote me a ticket. LOL. This is such BS... Keep the replies coming. Thanks.

Old 09-25-2008, 07:06 AM
Banned

The lieutenant seems like your best bet, but if you have to go to court, go with some photos of how your bike was parked to show them that the bike isn't sticking out at all. Additionally, take the MSF manual with you and show them that this is the preferred taught method of parking.

As far as the local news goes, I don't see much of a chance of them picking up a story on parking tickets, but you're welcome to try. Just doesn't seem like most citizens would really care about your motorcycle parking woes. You should, however, be able to beat this fairly easily.

Quick Reply: Parking tickets