Off Topic A place for you CBR junkies to boldly go off topic. Almost anything goes.

out of state title transfer answered

Old 11-16-2008, 02:11 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default out of state title transfer answered

I bought the bike in texas and have a texas title also got a bill of sale with the bike which i got notorized here in louisiana. My question is do i need anything else to get the bike titled over here in La.

I have title signed and bill of sale signed and notorized, didnt get the registration but would that be a problem ?? He forgot his plates on the bike so im planning on surrendering them for him when i go to the DMV.

Anyone know what it could possibly cost to do this, put $2000 on bill of sale.

Old 11-16-2008, 02:15 PM
Default RE: out of state title transfer ???

Probably going to cost 250$ to register it. You'll also need a inspection sticker for the bike to get it registered but first you need the registration to get the inspection sticker. Good luck with that one.

Old 11-16-2008, 02:36 PM

All you need to do is go to the DMV and they will tell you what you need. If you paid $2000 and it was California, you would owe $140 for taxes. I would assume you would have to get it inspected with the state as well. It should not be that hard, sounds like you have all the paperwork ready.

Old 11-16-2008, 03:18 PM

ok, i was hoping that would be all the paper work, as for as having an inspection sticker before registration....thats a new one on me. You need a registration to get an inspection sticker so why would you need an inspection sticker to get a registration. I dont have to take the bike to the dmv to get it registered or the title transfered. So why would the inspection sticker be needed, their not going to see it.

Even still it has plates and inspection sticker from tx still on it,i am going to surrender them when i get the bike registered.

Old 11-16-2008, 03:59 PM

in ohio when we had to have inspection they'd give you a temp tag and you could then go get the inspection, once you got the inspection and passed you could get the full registration.

if it's as black and white as nauree suggests then that would make it 100% impossible...probably just a stretch of the truth.

I don't think they'd like it much if you rode the bike up there on someone else's plates or no plates before registration. I just go up in a car with the appropriate papers, request a temp tag and then go up there to get the actual license plate with the bike because they have to check the vin and mileage to verify. Of course get the inspection between the getting the temp tag part and the getting the license plate part.

Old 11-16-2008, 05:37 PM

I've sold cars in the past and i've never had anyone come out of the DMV to check the mileage, i thought that was why i had to have a odometer disclosure statement which has to be notarized.

In louisiana you do not need a inspection sticker on a car to get it registered. The DMV people never even have to see the vehicle, when i got my truck done up i rode up their in another vehicle and was done in minutes.

I was wondering whether a motorcycle was the same way or not, hoping its just as easy.

Old 11-16-2008, 05:43 PM

ORIGINAL: Aweasel

if it's as black and white as nauree suggests then that would make it 100% impossible...probably just a stretch of the truth.
yup yup... They aren't going to make it impossible to do... DMV will register a vehicle, then go inspect it. DUH

A title is a federal document. The whole reason the seller sign's off at the bottom is not only to turn over ownership, but to sign on the odometer reading.

Old 11-16-2008, 05:46 PM

Yeah, don't listen to me. I've never registered a motorcycle in Louisiana before.

Old 11-16-2008, 05:50 PM

Down here the DMV doesnt actually inspect vehicles, you must go to a buisiness that is liscenced to do inspections. Certain gas stations and oil change places do it.My curiosity was from this being an out-of-state transaction. So far i have the title, bill of sale and a odometer disclosure statement.

All the vehicles i've dealt with where right here in La, so im not familiar with these weird documents, Texas titles dont even have a place to notorize them, (La titles do) even the notary public was confused about it.

Can't believe the guy left his plates on the bike though, ifi dont turn theminto the DMV they would red flag his lisence, Not very fun getting that sorted out.

"Yeah, don't listen to me. I've never registered a motorcycle in Louisiana before."
- me either, its my first bike

Old 11-16-2008, 07:19 PM

ORIGINAL: Nauree

Yeah, don't listen to me. I've never registered a motorcycle in Louisiana before.
based on what you said you're right, you never have because if you have to have the inspection to register your bike but you have to have the registration to get an inspection that would make it absolutely impossible to register your bike...unless there's something you're not disclosing.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: out of state title transfer answered