Off Topic A place for you CBR junkies to boldly go off topic. Almost anything goes.

Origin of squid?

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-2007, 10:05 PM
Retired Moderator
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Origin of squid?

LOL! Never heard of a "skin crayon" before. I'm going to call a co-worker that tomorrow. He crashed doing a wheelie, and the fact that he's only been riding for a total of 2 months, and he was wearing a helment (not strapped on), tank top and sweat pants. Now THAT's a squid.......I mean "skin crayon". LOL. Love it.

Old 02-06-2007, 12:35 AM
VP
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ORIGINAL: rrasco

im really starting to be impressed with the amount of information wiki has.
+2 it's an amazing site considering it's mostly fraudulant

Old 02-06-2007, 04:36 AM

ORIGINAL: james007torres24

its like noob where noob came from we will never know.
Dude, noob is short for newbie.

Old 02-06-2007, 09:49 AM

ORIGINAL: compulady5

Squid (motorcycle)
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

A squid is an irresponsible motorcyclist. The term is derogatory and common among motorcyclists in the United States and is generally associated with a new or reckless motorcyclist seen riding erratically and/or beyond his or her capabilities, often without appropriate riding gear.

The origin of the word is varyingly attributed:
A contraction of:
"Squirrely" and "kid" (possibly taken from California surfing culture), or
"Squished" and "kid"
An acronym for:
"Stupidly Quick, Underdressed, Ignorant and Dangerous", or
"Stupidly Quick, Underdressed and Imminently Dead"

Derivative of U.S. military culture:
Newly-inducted sailors based in San Diego in the '60s would frequently buy an inexpensive two-stroke motorcyle for transportation while on shore, whether they'd ever ridden before or not. So, there were large numbers of unprotected, inexperienced "marine life" squirting through traffic in a hurry and leaving a trail of black "ink" (smoke) behind them.
"Squid" was also a common derogatory term for sailors:
Recent inductees were called "squids" by more senior sailors, and
All sailors were called "squids" by Marines
Based on similarity between the way a "squid" rides and an actual squid swims.
Squids can appear unable to change direction while swimming without first coming to a near complete stop. However, once the squid does stop and change directions, it can very quickly accelerate back to its regular swimming speed. Beginning motorcyclists (especially sport bike riders) commonly have trouble negotiating turns, and must slow down to unnecessarily slow speed, while at the same time have a tendency to ride very fast on the straight sections of the road.

Often young, squids are identified by their reckless abandon (speeding, wheelies, stoppies etc.) and by their inappropriate attire (shorts, backwards ball caps, flip flops, wifebeater T-shirt, etc). Such a rider eschews all or most of the protective gear worn by many riders (helmet, gloves, leather jacket, riding pants, and boots) and the social and legal norms of riding behaviour, and as such is looked upon with derision by experienced motorcyclists, who also refer to them as "organ donors", "Zip-Splats", "a Stillie", "Skin Crayons", "Sausage Creatures"<1> and "soon-to-be-ex-motorcyclists".
Good find...there is a book out, "How to ride a motorcycle", and there are some great definitions in it of a squid, poser and a few others i havent heard before. its a good book. If i can find a listing for it, its a great book you will get some humor out of how blunt the author is about squids. lol

Old 02-06-2007, 11:09 AM

I got one of those "squids" in my hood, rides all over town like a jackass, bike all torn up windscreen busted off bike all scratched up from layin itdown all the time [sm=bangbang.gif]

Old 02-06-2007, 11:37 PM

I love that movie !!!!!!!!!!!!