Off Topic A place for you CBR junkies to boldly go off topic. Almost anything goes.

opinions on ONLINE/LIFE conduct....all opinions welcomed...

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-2008 | 08:16 PM
Default RE: opinions on ONLINE/LIFE conduct....all opinions welcomed...

oops...wow...I literally just stumbled--without trying, honest--into the thread that begat this one. And I never visit there more than once a month, if that. What a co-eenky-dink.

It's fine though. Now that it's been shot up by an automatic editing machine gun, none of it makes sense. I couldn't even get pas da hrrbl engrish skilz of bunch dem killaz.

The funny thing (besides Kewl's comments--man that guy can flaunt the comedy), is that I stand by exactly what I said above. I've decided that a man with high expectations for anything but his own choices is doomed to frustration. At least you're in a position to more easily associate in real life with other, similarly intended individuals. My life's choices have not engendered the same, and I'm constantly in a state defined by rue. There's little depth to be had on most forums--CBRF does quite well--they must be taken at face value, with a side of superficiality and a big helping of frivolous pie.

Old 01-11-2008 | 08:47 PM

I am the same on here as I am in life. Only difference would be I am a quieter in person. But I will n do give my honest opinion on stuff. lol i.e. I dont candy coat it on here or in person.

Old 01-11-2008 | 09:07 PM

I would have to be one of those people that open their mouth before the brain is in gear.
Everyone though has opinion, whether well formulated (as in, based on fact), or worse based on fabricated info ( ie Bulls**T). To me, its wot makes the world interesting & from wot I see in the media etc, a little bit on the scary side.
But a forum is wot its all about, everyone sharing opinions & information, from which we all can glean something helpfull, funny, ironic & unfortunately, occasionally tragic.
Being the age I am now, I have gleefully moved well into the "Grumpy Old Man" stage of my life, I am expected to pour derision on anything thats new, technically complicated, younger than me or cost more now than it did 25 years ago. I can endlessly complain about young drivers/riders, governments & tv commercials, & to be honest, its very liberating as well.
& from all of those I've mentioned above, I get treated with respect & given that much revered public title of "Old Fart" (as in: "Just ignore him, he's an old fart").
Ffingers, don't take people opinions to heart, there are a lot of s**t stirrers out there, who just love to push others buttons (there are also a few well meaning dick heads as well).
Remember, we all debate on mass (so I guess we are all mass debaters).

Old 01-12-2008 | 04:26 PM

I never say anything to anybody in the real world, ever. On this forum, I write as if my son were going to read it after I'm gone. If there is a topic that I have a strong feeling about, I try to sleep on it before I post up, since my self-editor is a bit slow. If I post immediately, like now, it is usually about something harmless or mundane. I have been shocked by some of the vitriolic ugliness I've read on this forum, and I make note of those authors, and just don't read their stuff. If I am called upon to respond to ugliness, I try to meet it with beauty, thereby setting an example for my son. I am amazed that any of you give a rats *** about my thoughts, and I try to honor that interest with thoughtful and original input. This has become my community, and I'd like to stick around. Pace, Gris.

Old 01-12-2008 | 05:03 PM
RCR

We are all different so we can't blend like you would like. Everyone has a different view on subjects and what makes sense to you might not to another.Being rude is another thing from being straight forward.

As for having to back up not liking a part or a piece of gear, not sure you need an engineering degree to say "well I don't like Icon jackets" I don't think any of us actually have to back up or have extensive proof. Thats like someone saying they really like the Scotts stabilizer and recommends it,not actually trying any other brands. what makes their knowledge any better if they don't have experince with other similar products?

Old 01-12-2008 | 07:16 PM

Online life...I'm more in depth. try to be.

Real life...more direct.

Old 01-13-2008 | 05:11 AM

ORIGINAL: ffingers

some of you know me, some of you don't....for those who know me you can skip ahead.....but i try to see both sides of arguments and when i have an opinion i try to respond thoughtfully (although there has been a few occasions i am not proud of)....another big thing is i try to think about what i am going to post prior to posting...because things happen online...and they are hard to take back.....which leads me to my question and hopefully opinions...

i am not going to point to the specific instance from which this arises and if you know of it, please don't reference it, this is not about that AT ALL and i don't want to re-discuss it....

but sometimes i think people are WAY too quick to post something without actually thinking....meaning, assuming someone posted about something that happened without being sure of all the facts or the end result...or acting on a hunch without any concrete evidence...

online...in my opinion...all we have is our reputation...i know guys by what they say and how they conduct themselves online....to have someone throw accusations around based on nothing could be very damaging ...

I AM OF THE OPINION...that unless you have some reasoning behind a statement, you shouldn't say it....ESPECIALLY if it goes to someone's character....i believe that if you are going to make that sort of accusation you better have hard evidence to back it up....on a slightly less critical point...if you have an opinion on gear or a bike or something....you should have a reason for it...don't you guys think?...i mean it's one thing to say gixxers suck..we sort of joke that way but to say a piece of gear, a part, etc...sucks...you should have a reason lest someone just believe you (which they shouldn't)

i personally find that i gloss over opinions were people don't back them up...look at the discussions i have had...where someone comes back with reasons and or facts, the discussion works....where someone comes back with essentially a response of "because" or "well i think so"....you give nothing to work from and it's like talking to a wall...

so i guess this is an open call..am I too idealistic to hope that people actually back up an opinion with some reason or should i really just become used to the "well because" answer....

and further...this is an open challenge to everyone....not just here but in your daily lives....if you have an opinion, great..i am VERY opinionated....but I back it up with a reason...and if i make an ASSERTION....i provide reasons for the assertion....

flame on [sm=badbadbad.gif]

Dude!!! I cant believe you completely directed this to me and made a commentary on all of my previous posts.

Haha, sorry im in a funny mood tonight.

Pay no attention to the retarded **** I put on here today.

Old 01-13-2008 | 10:22 AM
Banned

The best part about saying/writing things online that seem stupid the next day is that you can say 'Sorry'. Sometimes in person it is difficult to get with all those offended.