Off Topic A place for you CBR junkies to boldly go off topic. Almost anything goes.

opinions on ONLINE/LIFE conduct....all opinions welcomed...

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-2008 | 04:47 PM
|
Registered Users
Default opinions on ONLINE/LIFE conduct....all opinions welcomed...

some of you know me, some of you don't....for those who know me you can skip ahead.....but i try to see both sides of arguments and when i have an opinion i try to respond thoughtfully (although there has been a few occasions i am not proud of)....another big thing is i try to think about what i am going to post prior to posting...because things happen online...and they are hard to take back.....which leads me to my question and hopefully opinions...

i am not going to point to the specific instance from which this arises and if you know of it, please don't reference it, this is not about that AT ALL and i don't want to re-discuss it....

but sometimes i think people are WAY too quick to post something without actually thinking....meaning, assuming someone posted about something that happened without being sure of all the facts or the end result...or acting on a hunch without any concrete evidence...

online...in my opinion...all we have is our reputation...i know guys by what they say and how they conduct themselves online....to have someone throw accusations around based on nothing could be very damaging ...

I AM OF THE OPINION...that unless you have some reasoning behind a statement, you shouldn't say it....ESPECIALLY if it goes to someone's character....i believe that if you are going to make that sort of accusation you better have hard evidence to back it up....on a slightly less critical point...if you have an opinion on gear or a bike or something....you should have a reason for it...don't you guys think?...i mean it's one thing to say gixxers suck..we sort of joke that way but to say a piece of gear, a part, etc...sucks...you should have a reason lest someone just believe you (which they shouldn't)

i personally find that i gloss over opinions were people don't back them up...look at the discussions i have had...where someone comes back with reasons and or facts, the discussion works....where someone comes back with essentially a response of "because" or "well i think so"....you give nothing to work from and it's like talking to a wall...

so i guess this is an open call..am I too idealistic to hope that people actually back up an opinion with some reason or should i really just become used to the "well because" answer....

and further...this is an open challenge to everyone....not just here but in your daily lives....if you have an opinion, great..i am VERY opinionated....but I back it up with a reason...and if i make an ASSERTION....i provide reasons for the assertion....

flame on [sm=badbadbad.gif]

Old 01-11-2008 | 04:49 PM
|
Registered Users
Default RE: opinions on ONLINE/LIFE conduct....all opinions welcomed...

and just a sidenote...PLEASE this is not directed at anyone....and is not a commentary on anyone's previous posts....

Old 01-11-2008 | 05:10 PM

ffingers......

well, i think you are a little on edge today because of the above post in which i just read.

cheer up, bud. it aint that bad .........because i said so, haha. j/p brother

Old 01-11-2008 | 05:42 PM

Logic...reason...purpose. These are all ffingers' hallmarks. They serve him well. As does attentive riding, driving--diving, too. But he's only one in a hundred, maybe a thousand--hence the unique career. Yes, it's idealistic to think those other nine hundred and ninety-nine Americans will think before acting. Emotion is king, babe. There's no such thing as tact unless you bring it with you. L, L, and the PoH have been misread as 'Ignorance Free-for-All...Get Yours'. It would be a complete shame but for the one tenth in possession of discretion...

Old 01-11-2008 | 05:42 PM

OK. In my opinion this is a Forum http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Internet_forum

In other words is a plece too talk and speak your mind, oviusly with a sertain respect and interest forall members in it.

And since we are in a CBR forum the comon intrest is HONDA CBR bikes[8D].

Old 01-11-2008 | 06:56 PM
|
Registered Users

well...just so i can maintain my sanity and keep the thread on track...

i might be having a bad day...but you ever have those days where things that to you, seem so self-evident that the fact that other people think your nuts for thinking so just in turn drives you nuts....is that nuts...[8D]

i am really not upset...to the contrary...i sometimes think that i expect too much...

perhaps you're right spirit...i do see things in a very different way and i have no doubt that my chosen profession in some way has magnified these views....i guess....as it goes....i will always be there to challenge someone...it's in my nature...and for all you who don't know me...who probably will now...i do not do it to be a jerk, i am only trying to challenge you to do more than just say "because"...it's not because i feel better than you or anything close to that, but rather...i truly...i honestly mean this...want to know why you are saying what you are saying....to me...a statement without a reason is a glass without beer....you can have one, but without the later, what's the purpose of the former....

and kike, i agree with you 100%...but i was merely stating that those opinions should be supported...because, for example, if you tell me that alpinestar is crap or that spirit or jayn is an a-hole.....i have no reason to believe you unless you give me a good reason why....(sorry jaynd and spirit...you guys were the closest ones )

anyways...for the most part, i really like this board..i have been a part of many and never had this many posts...i actually would like hang with you guys if you were here....which is hard to say on the internet...so i guess i have come to really like this place, thus the reason i am even bringing this up.....and just for the record....these comments seriously don't apply to pretty much 98% of you....the post was to merely get your thoughts on the subject and to see if anyone saw this same thing occurring, beit here or in everyday life....

alright...gotta go...have to clean the bike and get my rims ready for powder! [:'(]

Old 01-11-2008 | 07:04 PM

Have a good one ! [sm=shades.gif]

Old 01-11-2008 | 07:20 PM

ORIGINAL: ffingers

some of you know me, some of you don't....for those who know me you can skip ahead .....but i try to see both sides of arguments and when i have an opinion i try to respond thoughtfully (although there has been a few occasions i am not proud of)....another big thing is i try to think about what i am going to post prior to posting...because things happen online...and they are hard to take back.....which leads me to my question and hopefully opinions...

i am not going to point to the specific instance from which this arises and if you know of it, please don't reference it, this is not about that AT ALL and i don't want to re-discuss it....

but sometimes i think people are WAY too quick to post something without actually thinking....meaning, assuming someone posted about something that happened without being sure of all the facts or the end result...or acting on a hunch without any concrete evidence...

online...in my opinion...all we have is our reputation...i know guys by what they say and how they conduct themselves online....to have someone throw accusations around based on nothing could be very damaging ...

I AM OF THE OPINION...that unless you have some reasoning behind a statement, you shouldn't say it....ESPECIALLY if it goes to someone's character....i believe that if you are going to make that sort of accusation you better have hard evidence to back it up....on a slightly less critical point...if you have an opinion on gear or a bike or something....you should have a reason for it...don't you guys think?...i mean it's one thing to say gixxers suck..we sort of joke that way but to say a piece of gear, a part, etc...sucks...you should have a reason lest someone just believe you (which they shouldn't)

i personally find that i gloss over opinions were people don't back them up...look at the discussions i have had...where someone comes back with reasons and or facts, the discussion works....where someone comes back with essentially a response of "because" or "well i think so"....you give nothing to work from and it's like talking to a wall...

so i guess this is an open call..am I too idealistic to hope that people actually back up an opinion with some reason or should i really just become used to the "well because" answer....

and further...this is an open challenge to everyone....not just here but in your daily lives....if you have an opinion, great..i am VERY opinionated....but I back it up with a reason...and if i make an ASSERTION....i provide reasons for the assertion....

flame on [sm=badbadbad.gif]

works for me!!Name:  thumbup.gif
Views: 27
Size:  139 Bytes,because..............

Old 01-11-2008 | 07:34 PM

stupid post.. haha jk! i wasn't thinking when i posted this.

Old 01-11-2008 | 08:02 PM
Retired Moderator

You make alot of sense, Stinky, but then again you always do. You are very eloquent and thoughtful about your posts and responses (unlike your playing of fantasy football...loser). I think there is room for all comers, though. Hell, there is even room for a moderator like Tahoe . I get a kick out of some of the emotional members, as long as they keep it in check. What I don't have tolerance for are people that are spiteful or sh!tty for no reason. You read every response they post, and it is negative. Bummer. Must be hard to wake up in the morning with that kind of attitude.

Quick Reply: opinions on ONLINE/LIFE conduct....all opinions welcomed...