Off Topic A place for you CBR junkies to boldly go off topic. Almost anything goes.

Opinions on electric motorcycles

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-2010, 09:08 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The main problem for me will be absence of any noise

But there are some nice concepts and designs. Really powerful bikes that are already can compete in GPs. Another problem might be the time battery will require for a full recharge.
Did I mention absence of noise???

Old 01-20-2010, 09:56 PM

Dammit Kuroshio you beat me to it! Haha. That's a fast *** bike

Originally Posted by Kuroshio
Posted this before

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WZ1eMYdLKrs

There's no doubt its insanely fast. If it were publicly available, squids could go from 0 to disintegration in 0.97 secs

Well it misses your decibel requirement by a mile (till the wreck). But a Suzuki would prolly feel pretty next to it

Old 01-21-2010, 02:15 AM
Sprocket Hauler and Savior

So, if we really want some nice brights lights since people are attracted to bright light anyways what would it do to the power of the bike. I mean seriously. Watch top gear and see the review the of the Gwiz. Seriously! car ran with lights 10mins on a full charge and required a 24hr charge. Batteries haven't changed in almost 15 years. The ideas are great but battery tech must catch up on the market.

And for the video clip yea it might only weigh 619lbs but can it turn???

Funny rich people and there money. :icon_woo t:

Old 01-21-2010, 08:53 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by drunkinmist
Batteries haven't changed in almost 15 years. The ideas are great but battery tech must catch up on the market.
That's really just not true ... they've been taking huge steps in improving batteries for a lot of applications (cell phones, electric car/motorcycle applications, etc) and a lot of that has come in the form of more powerful and efficient lithium ion batteries.

Here's a cool article from a while back where Jay Leno does a couple of reviews of some newer electric motorcycle models... On the Zero X and S models the batteries are even landfill friendly and non-toxic. To me, that's a pretty cool thing.

http://plugbike.com/2009/11/20/jay-l...le-collection/

Old 01-21-2010, 09:01 AM

As for my opinion... I guess I really don't know enough about them to judge. I think it's a really cool idea, and I'm all about improving efficiency and lowering emissions. I'm not sure the noise thing would really bother me as a few have said. I think it would be weird, and I do kind of like having that sport bike sound. On the other hand, I don't really rev my bikes at lights and I don't really buy the argument about being noisy to help get noticed. Most of the time you're coming up on someone, and they're not going to hardly hear your rear-facing exhaust.

My concern is the loss of torque in the higher end of revs and, in the end the bike is still only set up to do 60 mph. I'm sure you could re-gear it and all, but I'm not sure I would be able to step down to only about 32 hp. (which the manufacturer claims translates to about 50 hp from a gas engine)

I think they're doing real cool things and it sounds like federal and state governments are giving big incentives to go electric, but for the time being I'll just watch them evolve and enjoy my Honda gas-burner.

Old 01-21-2010, 09:54 AM

I would love to have one, but the cost would have to come down and range would have to improve.

They are getting there, but it is still a few years out.

Mavizen TTX02

Old 01-21-2010, 10:57 AM

Originally Posted by ko67
I would love to have one, but the cost would have to come down and range would have to improve.

They are getting there, but it is still a few years out.

Mavizen TTX02

What I don't like about this bike so far is that it's a complete unknown. I can't find any information on the power plant anywhere. HP, torque, range, types of batteries. Nothing... lol

Old 01-21-2010, 04:41 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Can't have much torque I think. Looks like the seat will snap in half if it presses you back into too hard.

And pls tell me that's not the Bitch Seat. What's the passenger supposed to do? Hook their legs over the driver's shoulders?

Old 01-21-2010, 05:43 PM

I was trying to find some pics of this bike, but I couldn't remember the name. Mavizen it is. I'd posted some info about it some time ago.

And this is not a "road" version anyways. Looks like any prepared bikes for a serious track race.

Here is a link to tech specs: http://www.mavizen.com/Bikes_and_Kits/TTX02.html

Last edited by 2H company; 01-21-2010 at 05:54 PM.
Old 01-22-2010, 09:19 AM

Originally Posted by Kuroshio
Can't have much torque I think.
It was my understanding from watching the videos that Leno did with those electric bike manufacturers that they actually have relatively high torque, though it loses torque through the higher revs. I don't really know much about that other than anecdote from the interview... But check the videos out if you have time, those guys seem to be the cutting edge for practical electric motorcycle application.

Originally Posted by 2H company
I checked out those specs, but again there's no helpful figures on HP, Torque, range or types of batteries...

Really it seems that all of the info they give is pretty generic to any modern gasoline-powered sportbike...