Off Topic A place for you CBR junkies to boldly go off topic. Almost anything goes.

Open carry in Texas?

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-2008, 01:53 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Open carry in Texas?

Here's the story so far,

Texas gun law battle brewing over 'open carry' proposal
By Anna M. Tinsley
Fort Worth Star-Telegam

They're setting their sights on Texas and coming out firing. More than a month before the legislative session starts Jan. 13, gun-rights supporters are asking state lawmakers to pass an "open carry" law to let Texans stop covering up the guns they carry and wear them openly.

They are putting their message on billboards, on banners on cabs and in radio ads, asking others to sign on to the cause.

"We are targeting Texas," said Mike Stollenwerk, co-founder of www.opencarry.org, a champion of the growing nationwide effort. "Texas is probably the most pro-gun state, but doesn’t have open-carry laws.

"As Texans realize how restrictive their rights are . . . there will be an awakening. Get ready for a showdown in Austin come January."

Texas is somewhat of an open-carry battleground because it is one of only six states where handguns cannot, in some form, legally be worn in plain view. Texas residents may carry concealed handguns if they have a permit.
Here's the link to sign the petition,

http://www.petitiononline.com/texaso...tion-sign.html

Thanks and have a GREAT day!

Old 12-03-2008, 02:06 PM
Retired Moderator & The Big Deal
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Open carry in Texas?

yup they are talking about it.

I think about 75% of states have an open carry and here in Texas we only have a concealed carry. I dont understand why we dont have both..

I mean.. I can carry a gun and hide it on my person. but i'm not allowed to carry a gun and show it openly on my hip. that makes no cents to me.

Old 12-03-2008, 02:16 PM

im thinking about getting my concealment permit in florida, if for any reason its because i fear that obama my take that right away and i would perfer to be grandfathered in.does this article mean that gun laws in texas will ease. btw-i would love to work in my town with a glock straped in open sight,our crime would slow big time.

Old 12-03-2008, 02:52 PM

Open carry vs concealed carry is an on-going argument. WAshington is an open carry state. I experienced a few problems while there. The law states you can leagally carry a holstered weapon in plain sight. The law also says that it is illegal to cause disruption orto cause alarm. So, comming home from the woods, I was carrying (out there I'm just as worried about the 4 legged dangers as well as the two legged ones with all the methheads out there) Anyways, stop in a little corner store to get some gatorade and something to snack on. A few minutes later as I am getting in my truck, a cop car pulls in behind me, draws his weapon but keeps it at his side and approaches me asking to see my hands. I comply and ask him what the problem is. He sees me in hunting gear, a cased rifle in the front seat and some varmint calls on the dash, and calms down. He tells me that a lady called to report a man with a gun in the store. Now, I was totaly legal in what I was doing, but others were alarmed and so on, so one could see where I was causing a scene. Situations like this happen all the time in open carry states where it is not widely known that one can legally open carry. So, through the publics ignorance, you very can and sometimes will cause panic and such cause some liberal soccer mom freaks out and yells "GUN!" Many of you know I am super pro 2d, I think US citizenship and no violent crimes/felonies commited should be enough of a permit for anyone to carry.

Old 12-03-2008, 03:01 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

We used to have to check our guns at the door in bars in Memphis when I was younger.

Old 12-03-2008, 03:47 PM

Seems like carrying your gun out in the open would cause more harm than good.
I don't hunt at all, and hell I've never even shot a gun so my view on this might be a lot different than most peoples. But what would be the point in carrying your gun out in the open anyway? The way I see it, it just attracts more attention. Hell if I saw someone waltz into a place with a gun strapped to their side, I would be uneasy about it. It also makes the job for cops harder. If someone calls 911 saying someone has a gun in the open, how are the cops going to approach the situation? Is the SWAT team going to be called just because some hunter wanted to wear a gun on his hip? As I said, seems like it would do more harm then good.

Old 12-03-2008, 03:56 PM

I support open carry laws. Just think some POS is scouting for a car to steal and he picks yours. He sits there and waits for you so he can jack the car and maybe your wallet while he's at it. You walk up with a .45 on your belt and guaranteed that fool will notmess with you! I usually carry my Kimber .45 under the seat of my truck but sometimes I carry it in a holster on my belt. It's kinda funny too because alot of people will stop and get the hell out of my way when they see it. Plus I do have a CWP but open carry is legal in Idaho.

I've been at the gas station or a corner store and have had cops see that i'm carrying and never has one said a word to me about it.

Old 12-03-2008, 03:58 PM

911: What is the emergency
caller: Theres a man with a gun in thge store
911: What is the man doing?
caller: um, walking around, shopping.....
911: is he being threatening, causing harm?
caller: um....no, but its on his hip...

See how that goes? Proponants of OC say open carry is a deterence. I think if I was a criminal looking to make a buck at a quickie mart and walked in to see some guy strapped, I'd think twice as you just greatly increased the odds of murdering someone or getting shot, both really bad as opposed to a simple robbery. Oponants of OC say it makes you a target, or your gun will get turned on you all that stuff. OC has its merits, draw presentation is a bazillion times faster, and I believe it has merit in deterance. Theres pros and cons of it, but the meat and potatoes of it all is that there is absolutely nothing wrong with a law abiding citizen being armed. Criminals don't follows rules or laws. Why is it that every effort to deter crime usually has no impact on criminals?

Old 12-03-2008, 04:03 PM

i work in a horrible hood. as a white guy in the wrong side of the tracks, i am constantly tested, im not a young punk lookin for trouble, but let me say the distance between the truck and my hip is a long differance. the blue steel on my side would most definatly show that i am not an easy target. some people who live in a gated world might think different , but as for me i would pack immediately. this thinking is from livin suburb,workin ccity.

Old 12-03-2008, 04:12 PM

ORIGINAL: Shocktroop
Why is it that every effort to deter crime usually has no impact on criminals?

Because the morons who make the laws are too retarded to understand that they are only affecting the law abiding citizen.

Quick Reply: Open carry in Texas?