Off Topic A place for you CBR junkies to boldly go off topic. Almost anything goes.

Old Vette's (late 70's)

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-2011, 11:00 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Old Vette's (late 70's)

Yo whats up guys, i found a guy that has two older vettes up for sale/trade. One is a '76 and the other is a '77. the '76 has around 30,000 miles on it while the '77 is over 50,000mi. Both are said to have sound drivetrain. both are automatic 350's ( i assume that makes them base model...)

I was just curious if anyone knows about these cars at all? they are listed for $4,500 (other ones ive seen at 6-8k, ha but those are just asking prices) a car and was thinking of perhaps trading the 600 for one. He said both have been sitting as smaller project cars but will start right up no issue. So what am i getting myself into here? parts, resale value. The idea would be just to flip it. of course after tooling around town in it for a month

thoughts? ideas? i also could trade up a little for a '89 base model, automatic, base model. from what ive read fuel injectors go and would be over a grand to replace. along with electronic suspension being touchy.

Old 02-15-2011, 11:07 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I've always liked the C3's. Can't help you on the questions though.

Old 02-16-2011, 05:29 AM

Mid to late 70's vettes are the least desirable ones as they made a ton of them. They are also some of the lowest hp ones thanks to the emissions that were just coming out at the time. Not that they are bad, but their are so many, they will never increase in value the way older ones do.

As for automatics being base models. You'll be hard pressed to find a manual. I don't know much about vettes, but every late 70's that I have seen has been an automatic. Im pretty sure there were years that manuals were not even offered. I don't know if those years fall into that range, but its possible.

I guess if it were me, I'd ask what he means by projects. Generally, you can get into a really nice late 70's for under 10 grand. thats one with low miles and original condition. if these cars need work, just make sure the cost is not going to offset the value of the car when its done. Start at 10 grand, and start knocking off money for everything one of those cars need. If they need paint, knock off 3 grand minimum, and thats a low price for a fiberglass car that old. If they need interior work, knock off another 2 grand. I know, theres no interior there right? But price out new interior for vette and you'll see why you should plan high. Engine or transmission work, knock off 2-3 grand. As you can see, it doesn't take long before you can end up with a car that will require more money that its worth. You also have to remember that even the smallest part can cost a lot of money. Anything that is corvette, will cost you more, especially on parts that are no longer made. If you start buying NOS parts, your looking at a lot of money.

Right away though. If you plan on driving the car a lot. Plan on at least a grand wear items. On a car that old, the suspension is going to have to be gone through. All of the bushings are going to be dry rotted and compressed, so they will need to be changed. Check the year of the tires. If they are older than 7 years, no matter how the tread looks, plan on replacing them.

Also, one of the biggest concerns with those cars is rust. I know, its fiberglass, but the frame is not. You can be fooled pretty easy into thinking the car is nice shape, when its actually ready to fall in half. Make sure you take one to a car lift and look really close at the frame everywhere. Many of these cars sit so low to the ground, and people have them sitting in the grass next to their house or garage, that they rust out really fast. even sitting on concrete, they sit so low, moisture gets stuck around the frame.

The other thing to watch for is mileage. The odometer may say 30,000, but I doubt thats all it has. More than likely, the odometer has rolled over and it has 130, or even 230 on it. You have to remember that older cars odometers only go to 100k then they start over. Unless he can prove it has such low miles, consider it over 100k.

Im not trying to discourage you. If you like that body style, it may be worth the trade. Just be cautious. If there is anything your weary about, pass. There are a ton of those cars out there and no need to buy one that you don't feel 100 percent certain is what you want.

Last edited by justasquid; 02-16-2011 at 05:32 AM.
Old 02-16-2011, 07:39 AM

If you want honest opinoins - I wouldn't cut the grass with any corvette made between 1972 and about 1996 (with a few glaring exceptions like the ZR1).

They are ugly, not valued by the collector community, lethargic in many cases, and generally not worth dumping money into. If you have a personal or emotional reason for owning one than you absolutely should, but if you are just looking to get "a Corvette" I wouldn't bother....

Just my .02.

Old 02-16-2011, 07:44 AM
2011 Ride of the Year

if you want i can go take a look at them with you.....
ive worked for midas for over a year and took autobody for 2 years.
if i can take a look at them i can tell you a little bit about the car.
let me know. i have time on saturday, i think. sunday for sure.

Old 02-16-2011, 03:40 PM

thanks justa, you always have good insight. They sound like they cost more money then they are worth. I didnt know paint would be so expensive, i was just going to paint it myself to be honest haha. I should probably look more into a civic. there is also a 90 supra they want 3 grand for. And thanks for the offer scorpion, i think im going to wait for a something else to come around.

Old 02-16-2011, 04:41 PM
Retired Moderator & The Big Deal

My dream is to have a C3 Corvette with an LS1 in it as a daily driver... *sniffles* one day.

Old 02-16-2011, 04:48 PM

Originally Posted by RojerLockless
My dream is to have a C3 Corvette with an LS1 in it as a daily driver... *sniffles* one day.
I want that new ZR1 so bad it hurts. Its the reason I wake up everyday and try to go sell stuff.

Old 02-16-2011, 07:04 PM
2011 Ride of the Year

i want Nissan 300ZX twin turbo 2 seater. 90 to 96 any of those years is fine.
maybe in couple years. cant afford to buy a bike and a car in the same year.

Old 02-16-2011, 07:37 PM

Originally Posted by scorpionvmu
i want Nissan 300ZX twin turbo 2 seater. 90 to 96 any of those years is fine.
maybe in couple years. cant afford to buy a bike and a car in the same year.
You don't want a 1996 - they switched to OBDII that year - with it came a power drop and the aftermarket community has been slower to support it with that car since it is only for 1 year where they sold less than all the other years.

Quick Reply: Old Vette's (late 70's)