Off Topic A place for you CBR junkies to boldly go off topic. Almost anything goes.

Old bike, Honda nonetheless

Search this Thread

Old 11-24-2009, 11:41 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I didn't make it to my friend's place this weekend, but he worked on the bike on his own. Trying to start her up.
We bought oil, spark plug. Due to the crazy amount of rust, we gonna just use a funnel to imitate the fuel tank.

I've got a question about spark plug though. I'm not very familiar with this subject, but have heard about gaps and etc. What should we do to make sure the plug is gapped correctly? And if we even need to do so...

Thanks!

Old 11-24-2009, 12:03 PM
Senior Member & tensioner mod inventor ROTM WINNER FEB 2013

Hi 2H,
Plug gap- use a feeler gauge after you've cleaned the plug up and insert a 0.8 gauge in between the electrodes. Adjust the gap if it's too small with a small screw driver and gently lever the top electrode away from the centre one but be careful not to damage the porcelain insulator.
If the gap's too big hold the gauge between the electrodes and gently tap the top one with the end of a hammer handle until it just pinches on the gauge.
You should just be able to slide the gauge in and out between the electrodes when the gap is right.
If you can get hold of a handbook for the bike you may find that Honda recommend a different gap but you won't go far wrong with 0.8mm to start with.

If you want a great light oil to help preserve of just generally nourish your rusty relic, Duck oil is great stuff. Can be bought in spray cans or buy the gallon but I swear buy this stuff, especially if you're putting something away for a while and want to keep the moisture off.

Good luck with your project. You know where to come for any more advice.

Old 11-24-2009, 12:05 PM
Senior Member & tensioner mod inventor ROTM WINNER FEB 2013

Forgot to mention, when you're cleaning a plug use a brass brush while holding the plug upside down to stop any crap going in around the insulator and plug body. A little Emery paper to clean the electrodes and you're good to go.