Off Topic A place for you CBR junkies to boldly go off topic. Almost anything goes.

ok this is crazy!!!

Old 01-11-2010, 05:50 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ok this is crazy!!!

why when you ride your bike and you come to a motion sensor light it nevere seems to turn when your there.
like one day the light went threw like 5 cycles so i got fed up of sitting there and i just made a right on red and a car pulled behind me and it chaned as soon as i left

Old 01-11-2010, 07:13 PM

Did you try waving or running around your bike 5 laps?

Old 01-11-2010, 08:28 PM

Yea I've been through this before. Most lights work off of inductive loops. There is a cable buried in the road. Hence the rectangular cuts in the road just before the line. Some say that you can put some "rare earth metal" magnet on the bottom of your bike to trip the sensor. But I haven't tried it yet. Also people say that you can shut off your bike and hit the starter. It should give off enough of a magnetic field to trip the sensor. I've tried this and it seems to work.

Old 01-11-2010, 08:52 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Michael S
Yea I've been through this before. Most lights work off of inductive loops. There is a cable buried in the road. Hence the rectangular cuts in the road just before the line. Some say that you can put some "rare earth metal" magnet on the bottom of your bike to trip the sensor. But I haven't tried it yet. Also people say that you can shut off your bike and hit the starter. It should give off enough of a magnetic field to trip the sensor. I've tried this and it seems to work.
Yeah but what nobody has answer for me is if we're invisible to red light cameras, which appear to work off either inductive loop or weight based systems

Old 01-11-2010, 08:58 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Kuroshio
Yeah but what nobody has answer for me is if we're invisible to red light cameras, which appear to work off either inductive loop or weight based systems

haha that would be good to know but i dotn plan on running any red lights anytime soon. To much of a risk getting t-boned!!!!

Old 01-11-2010, 09:06 PM

I know if you go 170 through a red light cam it wont have time to snap the shot... lol. Saw it on Top Gear!

Old 01-11-2010, 09:10 PM

When I took the MSF, they informed us that if its after dusk, and you sit at a light for over a minute and fifteen seconds, and there are no cars coming from either direction, then your legally allowed to go through.

Old 01-11-2010, 09:24 PM
Ladies Lounge Moderator

Originally Posted by jordan1210
why when you ride your bike and you come to a motion sensor light it nevere seems to turn when your there.
like one day the light went threw like 5 cycles so i got fed up of sitting there and i just made a right on red and a car pulled behind me and it chaned as soon as i left
http://www.wikihow.com/Trigger-Green-Traffic-Lights

Best article I've read on the subject.

Old 01-11-2010, 09:47 PM

More and more places are using sensors that look like cameras mounted near the lights - no damage to the roadway, easier to replace, no inductive loop. Almost all the new lights that Texas DOT puts in have this technology, Passive Infrared (PIR) devices that detect the approaching vehicle. Unfortunately, we're too small sometimes to trigger them.

Old 01-11-2010, 10:05 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by zoomman113
When I took the MSF, they informed us that if its after dusk, and you sit at a light for over a minute and fifteen seconds, and there are no cars coming from either direction, then your legally allowed to go through.
That is actually dependent on local and state laws. In PA the same is true at all times. If the light doesn't trigger after a certain amount of time, a rider can treat it as a malfunctioning light and go when traffic allows.

However in some states a cop will be sitting right there, watching the rider sit there for 5+ minutes... He's waiting for the rider to pull through so he can write a ticket

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: ok this is crazy!!!