Off Topic A place for you CBR junkies to boldly go off topic. Almost anything goes.

Observations from a newbie CBR owner.

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-2007, 06:39 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Observations from a newbie CBR owner.

Got the 600 RR on Saturday, rode it very little then, but put 150 miles on it Sunday. In those few miles I have learned a lot.

1. I' m pissed!!! I waited to damn long to buy one of these thing! What a blast. At age 42 I have discovered what true "motorcycling" is. My Harley's are nice but..... what a performance machine! WOW

2. To be honest, I was a little intimidated at first as it has been years since I threw my leg over a crotch rocket. I quickly learned it is all about respect. Very agile and powerful, just have to be smart and know your limits. Again, I only rode 150 miles, and varied my speed for a good break in, but certainly not the BEAST I had created in my mind.

3. I also learned that my fellow Harley Bro's can be pretty ignorant. Here in Maryland I cannot ride my Harley without every biker waving to me. Don't get me wrong,I always wave back, but sometimes it gets a little old when you see 100 riders in a day.
Anyway, I discovered that only approx. 1 in 5 Harley bubba's will even acknowledge a sportbike. Funny, and interesting at the same time. Nothing kills a group quicker than division or inner conflict. Motorcyclist are just that...people that love to ride bikes.

So...the reason for this post? For all of you newbies reasearching and asking all of the questions like I did......rest assured. it is a blast! IfI had to empty my garage of all toys right now, the CBR would be the last to go! (the Harley would be first, followed by the MX bike)

Last thing...this forum is awesome. I know some of you guys that have been around for awhile get a little annoyed when we ask the same old questions and forget to "search"...but i can tell you your experience and advice is very appreciated! So please be patient. I have learned a great deal from you all. Thank You!

(and Jason from across the bridge...we will meet up. Just let me get my schedule clear!)

Old 07-23-2007, 07:20 AM
VP
Default RE: Observations from a newbie CBR owner.

you're the smartest newbie I ever seen!

Old 07-23-2007, 07:24 AM

i have noticed the wave thing around here also. i was suprised. sometimes even sportbike riders dont wave. wierd. +1 on the smartest newbie

Old 07-23-2007, 07:26 AM

Thanks for saying that VP...I will send the check out to you today!
ORIGINAL: vpsophmore

you're the smartest newbie I ever seen!

Old 07-23-2007, 07:50 AM

i agree on the smartest newbie i have seen post. im glad that at least 1 harley rider in this world realizes how superior in power and handling that modern sportbikes are. and feel free to ask any questions you need, there are some real smart guys here.

Old 07-23-2007, 08:06 AM
Banned

I don't think it's as much an admission of superiority, but a defenite understanding of the performance aspect.

I've got cruiserbuddies who would never own a sportbike. I always ask why and they say, "dude I'd kill myself."

It's not because they're admitting superiority, good luck getting them to do that, it's just hard for them to throw a leg over a bike that will go as fast as you can hold on - it's scary to some (most) people. From my POV, there is no reason to spend the money on a astheticaly, and mechanically inferior machine that won't do what I want to do.

On a side note - I was talking to a Harley Guy the other night at bike night. I was giving him **** about his oil-leaker. He said, "we don't leak oil, we mark our territory."

Hey, at least they're coming to terms with the truth

Old 07-23-2007, 08:56 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Welcome to the group, youngster (i'm 43). Personally I'm a little afraid to ride a Harley - to me it's a lot harder to control the bike when you're leaning backlike you're in a recliner. I've taken my buddies' hogs out fora spin, and it's definitely not for me.

I agree the hostility between sport bike riders and Harley guys is pretty stupid. There are enough bad stereotypes about both groups. People say Harleys are all show and no go, but the truth is most sport bike riders aren't skilled enough to use their bike's performance, and even if they could, the public roads aren't the place for it. Plenty of sport bike owners are just as much about the image, even if the image they want is of 'performance.'

Old 07-23-2007, 09:05 AM
Jan 2009 ROTM

Grats on the new RR, and nice observations.

Old 07-23-2007, 09:10 AM

ORIGINAL: Munson

Welcome to the group, youngster (i'm 43). Personally I'm a little afraid to ride a Harley - to me it's a lot harder to control the bike when you're leaning backlike you're in a recliner. I've taken my buddies' hogs out fora spin, and it's definitely not for me.

I agree the hostility between sport bike riders and Harley guys is pretty stupid. There are enough bad stereotypes about both groups. People say Harleys are all show and no go, but the truth is most sport bike riders aren't skilled enough to use their bike's performance, and even if they could, the public roads aren't the place for it. Plenty of sport bike owners are just as much about the image, even if the image they want is of 'performance.'

i agree, in alot of cases both bikes are about "image" just different types of image.

Old 07-23-2007, 09:38 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

congrats again! im still waiting for pics, haha. you should give me a call today damnit! im anxious to see this thing and im always willing to go riding! i get off work at 3:30 and im free all afternoon!

Quick Reply: Observations from a newbie CBR owner.