Off Topic A place for you CBR junkies to boldly go off topic. Almost anything goes.

NEWBIE MISTAKES!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2006, 11:44 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: NEWBIE MISTAKES!!!!

My 1st bike was a CB900 custom and I took it to the Honda shop to have it looked at. It was on a trailer and the truck was parked uphill. I had strapped it down by the handle bars way to tight. I leaned over the front to pop the straps loose and the right side let go faster than the left. I had it pulled down so hard it shot up like a rocket and I didn't have it in gear so it took off back down the trailer on it's left side with me between the bike and trailer. It wouldn't have been to bad but it was one of the 1st warm days of the year and the honda shop was full of people looking at bikes.

Old 04-18-2006, 04:47 AM

its not fun when yur sitting at a red lite going straight and someone pulls up next to u and tells u yur blinker is on and they are laughing. don-i have a couple holes in my driveway like it my wife to figger out that they were coming from my bike, hence me not allowed to park on the driveway unless i have something under the kickstand and our driveway warrenty doesnt cover that so they wont fix it for free

Old 04-18-2006, 11:22 AM

It looks like I've done all the classics...

The very first day I got my bike (I had just drove 400miles to get it). All my roommates were standing around as I start it up for my first test drive. Starts up great, I let it warm up and click it in 1st, it dies. I did this about 4 times with my roommates erupting in laughter every time and me thinking I just got totally ripped off, until I put the kickstand up.

Everytime I get on after not riding for a couple days I forget to buckle my helmet. So when I come to a stop light I frantically try to get it strapped up with my gloves on. It never works, but I always try.

The blinker always gets me, and I always manage to accidently hit the horn as I'm pulling in my driveway. The roommates always rag on me for it.

I'm constantly "checking" to make sure I'm in 6th.

A couple days ago I shifted down into first, coming to a stop at a red light. The light ended up changing while I was still goin about 30-40mph. Without thinking I dump the clutch, locking up the back tire. Totally scared the crap out of me.

A couple times I don't downshift early enough and I'm still in 6th when I hit the light. So I'm sittin at a light tryin to get the bike into first. I must look ridiculous, rolling the bike back and forth and hammering away at the shifter.

A couple weeks ago I forgot to shift the bike back to first all together. I stalled it 3 times tryin to take off before I figured out what in the heck was goin on.

I'm a pretty conservative rider. But sast night, I'm cruising along on the highway when this HUGE harley full-dresser passes me and stares me down the whole way. Naturally, I hammer it. at about 104mph I get to the bridge that crosses the CT river and huge gust of wind just blasts me from the side...I almost took a swim.

I refuse to go to CycleGear on the weekends. I know as soon as I get around a bunch of riders its gonna be the time I forget to go to first.

Geesh, when I go and list em like that I look like a pretty pathetic rider. Guess all this time riding dirtbikes hasnt helped too much. Its a whole new ball game when you're watching for cars, stopsigns, and lights.

Old 04-18-2006, 12:24 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

got you on the helmet thing supersteve. i always put my gloves on first, then its a pain to strap on my helmet with my gloves. i often forget to strap it too, so i am trying as quick as i can to slip that nylon strap and feel for it with gloves on!

Old 04-18-2006, 12:31 PM

I had my bike for all of 4 days. Me and buddy of mine were going to ridin for a couple of hours...Long story short as I was coming to a stop sign i noticed that i was not in a low enough gear. When I got to the stop sign and getting ready to turn. I was in 3rd or 4th gear...the bike stalled and I was trying to change gears and hold the bike up at the same time. I went over real slow onto the curb not damage to the bike thank the bike gods for frame sliders...luckily a couple of riders helped me get her back up.
I was ssooooo embarassed...I laughed afterwards. Man ridin is fun when you're in motion..but that stoppin thing gets you everytime.

Old 04-18-2006, 09:31 PM

lets see, firs

driving without license nor permit
blinker
strap
kickstand
killswitch (tried to start the bike with the switch off)
running out of gas (twice)
leaving the key on the ON position while at the bank (batt died)
many more

Old 04-19-2006, 03:56 PM

wanna talk about newbie mistakes...letting your girlfriend sit on your bike without you holding the handlebars. yep, down on it's side, broken mirror, scratched crankset cap...ugh, guess it coulda been worse...

[IMG]local://upfiles/6435/39F79390DF7A4882814D3DB0F7CC87DE.jpg[/IMG]

Old 04-19-2006, 04:14 PM

The left or right blinker?

Old 04-20-2006, 05:57 PM

Thought my bike broke down, towed it home the next day found out it was just the killswitch.

Thought my kickstand was down and dropped my bike right in the middle of a crowded parking lot. Everyone got a good laugh at my expense.

+1 on the blinker and the helmet strap.

Oh yah! When I bought my first bike we were towing it home on a dirtbike trailor and as you well know streetbike tires are much fatter than dirtbike tires. Well half way home on the freeway the bike took a spill on the trailor and got pretty messed up. That was embarassing and scary. The bike was so close to comming off the trailor.

Old 04-27-2006, 02:42 PM

My wife had a good one that I just have to share. She just got her 03 Ninja and couldn't wait for me teach her how to ride (just one day). She had the bike parked in the garage with her 03 Ford Mustang parked in front of the garage. Figure this one out yet? She put the bike in gear, lost control and rammed her bike into the mustang.

Quick Reply: NEWBIE MISTAKES!!!!