Off Topic A place for you CBR junkies to boldly go off topic. Almost anything goes.

New riders

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-2011, 09:02 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New riders

So im in my garage wrenching away and here comes a 2011 Yamaha fz6r up my driveway no helmet shades and stalls out so im like wtf its my cousin first bike just did the msf course.. so i check it out nice back we go for a ride im giving him lil pointers the tips and meat and potatoes of riding and every time i say something to him he goes "I know man I know how to ride i know what im doing" it urks me because hes stalling out taking corners real stupid but not willing to accept and pointers or advice thinks he knows it all WERE WE ALL LIKE THIS AT ONE POINT?

Old 06-02-2011, 09:12 PM
2011 Ride of the Year

i hope he learns from you, but it sounds like he will have to learn the hard way. once he droppes her once ( low speed i hope) he will come to you and say, i should of listened to you.

try talking some sense to him before that happens. and we all have the ego of a guru, some more than others.

Old 06-02-2011, 09:14 PM

I have been riding street bikes for nearly 5 years. Started on dirt bikes almost 17 years ago. I know very little about riding. I taught myself, I never did any research or took pointers from anyone. I am sure I have a lot of bad habit, and probably ride with bad form, but it works for me! Sometimes there is the right way and there is the way that works. Let him do things his way...

Old 06-03-2011, 07:06 AM

It's HARD to be contrite and take advice. I know I did better learning than a lot of people, but I remember thinking I was better than I was for months. Sometimes it takes a good thump from the ground to keep your ego in check. Here's the story of the reality check I had yesterday evening.

https://cbrforum.com/forum/cbr-600f2...-my-f2-126386/

Keep with him and keep on his ***, you could save his life with some good advice. It's on us motorcyclists as a community to make sure new riders can learn good practice and safe riding skills, or else we will continue to thin our ranks and look bad to non riders.

Old 06-03-2011, 09:17 AM
October 2011 ROTM

One of my best friends bought a brand new fz6r a few weeks back. He has yet to take the MSF course, but he is signed up for it. He is not all the coordinated so I was for sure he was going to wreck it. We went for a cruise and he did really good, surprised me. But then we stopped for lunch and he forgot to put the kick stand down and came OH so close to dropping his brand new bike. I saw it happening so rush over to help pick it back up.

Old 06-03-2011, 02:27 PM

friend of mine was the same way when he got his first bike and got thru msf course, so after awhile he said he had been riding a lot and was gettin good at cornering so i said ok lets go see. My girly wanted to go so i took her on the back of my bike and went out to a twisty road we both knew and went at it, at the end of the road when it straightens back out i had to pull over and wait for him, and i had my girl on the back so wasnt even hittin the corners hard, he pulled up and i was like you dont know **** keep practiceing. And im not even that good, i would put myself in the "im ok" category, noobies i tell ya. Should be interesting cause he is going to the dragons tail with another buddy of mine at the end of this month, wish i could go but it just aint in the cards this time.

Old 06-03-2011, 02:36 PM
August 2011 ROTM

Originally Posted by AlexF4i227
WERE WE ALL LIKE THIS AT ONE POINT?

Not me. I still admit I am no where near being good. I learned in my head first and now I have to learn with my body. I would love to ride with some experience riders who can give me tips on what I am doing wrong and how I can improve my riding skills.

Maybe he has guy's ego thing going. I bet he would not ask for a direction.

Old 06-04-2011, 06:06 AM
Retired Super Moderator - At large E=MC2
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I gotta admit it. When I got my first bike, after about 3-4 months, I was KING!

Doh! Shortly after that thought, came the reality check. Thrashed it at about 30mph and rashed my whole body (both shoulders, knees, one hip). Glass, gravel and road burns, oh my!

THEN, I started seriously focusing on what it takes to develop the mental and physical skills to be good at this whole thing. Unfortunate for me, back then I didn't have anyone to give me the advice I needed to do that. I had to make it up and/or read everything I could get my hands on to develop the skill-set that I have today.

As much for your sake as his, I would try to give good advice and cautions. If he just refuses to listen and gets hurt, at least you know you TRIED.

Ern

Old 06-04-2011, 09:21 AM

I'd say get him to read whatever you can. I watched twist of the wrist 2 probably 3 times before I ever rode my bike and read as many threads in the techniques section as I could. After my first ride I didn't have sore shoulders or wrists or anything. And after riding with some people with more experience they said you'd never know I was still learning except that I just did everything slower. I'm not saying I'm fantastic but the stuff I read definitely helped me. Every time a situation comes up something from that movie or threads pops into my head and I handle it just fine.

Old 06-04-2011, 10:49 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I wasn't like that but I know guys that are. You can't say you're afraid to lean in one sentence# and know how to ride in the next.

But every once in a while, my ego does inflate. Luckily I'm my own best critic and the next turn I muff puts it back in check.