Off Topic A place for you CBR junkies to boldly go off topic. Almost anything goes.

New rider question.....

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2006, 10:41 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New rider question.....

So one of my freinds bought a 06 f4i and im trying to teach him how to ride it. I found out that last time when I asked him if he had ridden before he said yes, and I found out he lied when he crashed my bike in my driveway moving it. So I have started out with the basics with him and I have tried to teach him with baby steps. I even got him enrolled in a MSF course and im wondering if this will even help at all because tonight was probably the 5 time we took his bike out and he is still rolling in first gear and he is still kinda jumpy. I get the kind of feeling that this guy should not be riding at all. But he desperatly wants to ride and loves it when he takes his bike out so the determination is there. So I guess my question is, is this normal for him to take this long to learn how to ride and what else can I do to help him? Any suggestions would be great.

thanks
Nick

Old 04-03-2006, 12:16 AM
Retired Admin
Default RE: New rider question.....

Everyone learns at a different pace. He cant expect to be a superstar on day one. The MSF course is the best start, dont let him back on another bike till he takes it. There are fundamentals you need to know they discuss.

Old 04-03-2006, 12:46 AM

My brother had the same kind of problems just tell him not to ger flustered cause once you do your thought goes to **** and confusion sets in thats when mistakes are made. just keep your cool and if you get nervious or scared just pull the clutch in and coast. Dont forget everything takes time. Later

Old 04-03-2006, 11:02 PM

Lets all think back to our training wheels on our 16in bikes. There are guys still on big wheels.

Old 04-03-2006, 11:07 PM

is he having trouble with clutch/throttle control? if thats the case, i'd say it would help to get the concept down in a car first. if he at least understands the concept of the clutch and throttle (ie. how much throttle to add as you let out clutch, etc) i think that would help. I know bikes and cars are totally different, but i found that my experience in a manual car really helped me get down my clutch control on the bike.

Old 04-04-2006, 01:36 AM

At least it sounds like he is taking his time insted of trying to do to much to fast wich would be a good way to get hurt! Just be patient with him and before you know it he will be right on your a$$!!

Old 04-05-2006, 03:29 AM

Im with Opie on this one.I found it real easy to learn throttle gas but ive driven manual transmissions my entire life until recently.I guess yo could tell him to hear it in his head.Its what i did when i first got out on the road and i know a bunch of you out ther know what i mean by hearing it in your head..LOL...and it takes time.Its a coordiation thing too there are alot of things going on when riding ire brakes clutch signals head checks and more head checks.ANd the list goes on

Old 04-07-2006, 12:13 AM

Thanks I'll try getting him accustomed to the clutch in my car and see if that works

Nick

Old 04-07-2006, 01:19 AM

well, trying it on the car might NOT be such a good idea. I know a lot of motorcycle drivers who will burn out the clutch on a car in an instant because of riding it. On a bike you suppose to and CAN ride the clutch, But in the car, you can't. I'd say let him take the MSF course, if he can get a license, that means he can ride to some extent. I pick up things pretty quick, and like others said, everyone's different. I honestly would let the instructor's do the job, trust me, i'm pretty good in math, but i'm gonna let the teachers do the teaching with the kids i'm gonna have in the future.

Old 04-07-2006, 01:29 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

yeah, when i took my MSF course i had NEVER ridden a bike. i wanted them to show me the controls and how to actually do everything. as well as have the chance to drop a bike that didnt belong to me(thats why they have ****ty bikes). i remember when i was trying to learn there are so many things going on yo cant process them all at the same time, remember to actually think about shifting. now, its all muscle memory, thats the key, is getting used to the way the bike works. just like driving really, just let him get used to it.

off topic: my cousin bought an '06 GSX-R 1000 like 5 weeks ago, his mistake: he let his friend ride it......45 seconds later, he had a GSX-R that came with the instructions reading: SOME ASSEMBLY REQUIRED! sucks for him.

Quick Reply: New rider question.....