Off Topic A place for you CBR junkies to boldly go off topic. Almost anything goes.

New location

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-2007, 11:08 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New location

Sad to say I'm being disqualified from my job due to medical reasons.. But they're are not just giving me the boot without any incentives..

So my question is, what would be the prime location to move too? I'm not really a big fan of Oklahoma (been here for 3 years). I have lived in Cali, Misssissippi, Texas and Washington. In the aspect of cost of living/weather.. what city/state/country you guys recommend for a place to start a new life? I have college benefits, (GI Bill) and am close to finishing up my AA then moving on to my BA. So for some of the older people who lived in numerous places, or anyone really, what do you guys recommend for a prime location? I'm just looking for ideas.

Thanks!

Old 06-22-2007, 11:11 AM
Default RE: New location

Austin, Texas. Best place around man. cost of living isnt bad and the weather is good most of the year, there might be 10 days a year where you cant ride. Now SOCAL you can ride year round pretty much but the cost of living would kill you.

Old 06-22-2007, 11:20 AM

i dont know what your looking for but one of my favorite places is moneta,va right out of roanoke

the land scape is awsome, the vegitation looks great in the summer and last a good amount of the year the wether is nice most of the time and being in the far west of vigina land is very reasonably priced. the roads are always in aswome shape there one of the first things i noticed and they have some great twisty road and the blue ridge is only a short drive away. there is a lake right there. i dont know if you were in the military or not but becuase of the gi bill im going to guess you are. there is a va hospital in roanoke but i hear it is a little understaffed but the staff are generally good people. the other thing that is nice is that there are still season winters are very short and you do get snow but it doesnt last long and the summers can be hot but are generally nice. and the cost of living isnt all that bad. 4.5% sales tax. my mom pays 900 a year on a 190,000 dollar house. you do have to pay tax on all your possetiong though like cars and stuff yearly but its like 50 bucks per a car but thats why the land tax is so cheap but they are trying to phase that out

best of luck to you

Old 06-22-2007, 11:29 AM

Midwest will get you best value for your dollar as far as cost of living goes, but east and west coast will net you better $$ on average, but you'll pay out the butt for your housing. I would choose the east coast myself as you don't get the Earthquakes, tornados, snow, monsoon rains, and most hurricanes are only tropical storms as they pass by. There are plenty of jobs available as well.

Old 06-22-2007, 11:37 AM
Friend and Hero ...

Disqualified from your job? For medical reasons? I was under the impression that only those of us on active duty had to worry about being sidelined for being medically unfit are there not laws against this? Or am I just mistaken or not understanding what you're saying, what branch did you serve with?

Old 06-22-2007, 11:59 AM

well what are you planning on doing as a career?

Old 06-22-2007, 12:25 PM

ORIGINAL: kill9

I'm just looking for ideas.

Thanks!

Do not, under any circumstances, move to Massachusetts. This liberal state needs to secede from the Union.

Old 06-22-2007, 12:47 PM

ORIGINAL: HARDCORP 8654

Disqualified from your job? For medical reasons? I was under the impression that only those of us on active duty had to worry about being sidelined for being medically unfit are there not laws against this? Or am I just mistaken or not understanding what you're saying, what branch did you serve with?
Well I'm an Air Traffic Controller in the Air Force (active duty). The military has strict guidelines on being on flying status etc. as oppose to working for the FAA in the civilian world. Right now I'm going through a MEB so that could take anywhere from 1 month to.. way too long. I'm just preparing my self for the future.. As for what I plan on doing for a career I will probably work ATC for the FAA or a contract tower, but in the meantime would rather finish my degree (not sure what I want to major in yet) and just work a 9-5 job that will get the bills paid.

Thanks all for the input!

Old 06-22-2007, 01:04 PM
Friend and Hero ...

ON ACTIVE DUTY MYSELF UNDERSTAND MOS 0321 (RECON) HOPE THING WORKOUT

Old 06-22-2007, 01:34 PM
Registered Users

atlanta's a nice area, a decent amout of biker's around too

Quick Reply: New location