Off Topic A place for you CBR junkies to boldly go off topic. Almost anything goes.

New Kansas Motorcycle Law

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2011, 11:19 AM
Banned
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by CBRfenatic93
Your in New England so you most likely have a traffic system that is better than ours. But the law isnt in place for a motorcycle to just run the light as he wants. The light has to not change and you must go when it is safe to.

This law is awesome. I dont know if Louisiana has this law but ive had to do it a few times. I think most cops would understand anyways as long as your not a Dbag.
That may be true...I get stuck at lights but maybe not to the extent that some people encounter.

I just hope riders are smart about it.

Old 02-24-2011, 11:52 AM

This is a good law but idk im a little worried about the abuse that will be taken by the immature.. :/ well i guess we well just all see how it does once it takes affect in our own states huh? it would be intersting to see how this goes

Old 02-24-2011, 03:02 PM

Originally Posted by pimpncbr954s
As far as I remember that is the not the first state with that law. Im pretty sure in VA you can run the red light if the sensor does not pick you up and you are skipped a certain amount of times.

did you read below the video at all?

This is true and applies to all vehicles. Its if you are skipped for two cycles.

Old 02-24-2011, 04:00 PM

omfg thank you. people dont realize this does happen, sometimes the signal sensor does not recognize that you are there.

Old 02-24-2011, 04:21 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Its been law in PA for I don't know how long. If a sensor controlled light doesn't change for a motercycle, it can be treated as a malfunctioning light and the rider may proceed when safe to do so.

That's the catch: you do have to stop at the light first. Even if it hasn't changed a million times before, a rider cannot simply blow thru it. Nor try to find a hole in traffic. Overall it's safe, tho I've never had to use it here in Philly. Haven't come across any traffic controlled lights that I know of

Old 02-24-2011, 06:35 PM

Fan of the law or not I will say I am all for common sense.

If I sit there - I will absoultely run it if it is obvious it will not change and there are no other cars to trip it. If it is abused hopefully it doesn't end with someone getting hurt.

If I ever got pulled over for running one I hope a policeman would use common sense as well.

Old 02-24-2011, 06:40 PM

Originally Posted by Kuroshio
when safe to do so.

That's the catch: you do have to stop at the light first. Even if it hasn't changed a million times before, a rider cannot simply blow
It's not a catch. That's the whole law.

The law is that if you stop at the light and your weight / electronic output or whatever it is that trips the light doesn't register then you can proceed through the Red.

Obviously motorcycles aren't allowed to run all red lights anywhere.

Old 02-24-2011, 08:11 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Seafordguy
Fan of the law or not I will say I am all for common sense.

If I sit there - I will absoultely run it if it is obvious it will not change and there are no other cars to trip it. If it is abused hopefully it doesn't end with someone getting hurt.

If I ever got pulled over for running one I hope a policeman would use common sense as well.
"common sense" is the world's most popular oxymoron

Back on topic:PA is actually motorcycle friendly as far as the law is concerned. The legend is a big wig in PennDOT rode. So they did things like free MSF courses for residents, legalized LED / neon / lights on motorcycles for "visibility" and the red light law. Doubt we'll ever see legal lane splitting but that may be for our own protection (had a guy in a VW try to force my E-350 work van out of my lane today).

Won't stop a cop from profiling you. But if you're legal it'll turn out alright.

Old 02-24-2011, 08:45 PM
2011 Ride of the Year

i have no idea how the law goes here in ohio, but when i sit there even in my car, and the light skips me, i will figure the lights are broken and make my turn.
i have a lot of people do it and as soon as they started going through the light changed after few cars went through.

if the light is in fact broken i will not sit there all night because its red. im sure no one would. (not one person). after few skips every one will start rolling.

Old 02-24-2011, 09:22 PM

well idk about your guys' roads but really all you have to do is attach a magnet to the bottom of your bike... around hear all the lights are by mass, not weight or anything

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8GAacxGiV4A

Quick Reply: New Kansas Motorcycle Law