Off Topic A place for you CBR junkies to boldly go off topic. Almost anything goes.

Neighbor's a bit ticked off at me and my bike...

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-2010, 11:32 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Neighbor's a bit ticked off at me and my bike...

So I get home from work today and decide to go for a ride. I've got my bike out in my driveway, idling, warming up (Two Brothers exhaust, mind you, I can admit it's a little loud) and my neighbor from across the street comes out and decides to say something. Mind you, he's this little Japanese man with a really short fuse and a hell of a temper. First thing he yells is "WHY DO YOU ALWAYS IDLE YOUR BIKE FOR SO LONG?!" I calmly responded "Because it has to warm up before I can ride it." he comes back with "ARE YOU SERIOUS?!" and I logically responded with "Yes." and he runs back inside his house, all angry, slamming his door.

I found it rather funny at first, because he always gets angry easily about stuff. Although, I started thinking, is there anything he can legally do? I'm not worried if he tries something "illegal" (I own a 12-gauge shotgun, he tries to vandalize my bike or hurt me in any way and he'll soon see the business end of it) but do you think I should be worried about anything? I'm tempted to put the stock pipe back on, but I honestly can't give up this quick and easy. I only ride it a couple of times a week, and during the daylight hours. I don't see what 3-5 minutes of idling is going to do in the middle of the day. Your thoughts and opinions?

Old 05-03-2010, 11:45 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Yeah, he can call the local police station and file a noise / disturbing the peace complaint. Prolly won't work on the first couple calls. But eventually the cops may pay you a visit, just to shut him up. If they do, they may measure the decibel levels of your bike with a meter. Too high and they'll fine ya.

Dunno if it'll pass your local noise ordinances. That's the only legal way I can think of. Flip side is if they do come out, check the noise levels and it passes he has to shut up. When you got your bike inspected last, didn't they check the noise levels?

Old 05-03-2010, 11:54 PM
Official CBRF Welcome Crew Undercover Agent
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you have a garage, maybe run it in there with the door cracked open (that's what I do, mainly for thieves). Since you're not doing it at odd times of the night, then he's really got nothing to say. It's no different than a lawn-mower.

I wonder what kind of reaction you would get from him if you walked over, knocked on his door, and asked permission to ride your bike (in full gear). That would be fun.

Old 05-04-2010, 12:06 AM

Originally Posted by Incognito

I wonder what kind of reaction you would get from him if you walked over, knocked on his door, and asked permission to ride your bike (in full gear). That would be fun.
He'd probably sick his dogs on me, he has these large Japanese Akitas that are rather unpleasant to be around. Not risking that one, lol. You can't "disturb the peace" in my area as far as I know unless you're doing it before 9am or after 10pm at night. I'm in Los Angeles, California, if that means anything. I live 4 blocks from a bike shop that test rides their bikes all over the neighborhood. Not like one more bike (idling, at that) is going to make that big of an impact. Cops aren't getting to my bike any time soon because I keep it locked up and away, they'd have to catch me in the 5 minutes I spend idling it. I've passed cops tons of times already and never had any problems.

Old 05-04-2010, 12:12 AM
Redcoat, & Maxwell's Silver Hammer, MVN and curmudgeon
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

If you were revving the bike up and he has small children who may be sleeping, or he works nightshift are the only reasons I would see for him having reason to complain.
Besides, an idling bike isn't loud, no matter what pipe you have on it.
Just a grumpy old man IMO.

Old 05-04-2010, 12:40 AM

Originally Posted by Incognito
It's no different than a lawn-mower.
I can just see him going across the street:

"Why do you have to mow your lawn every week?"

"So the grass doesn't get too long."

"Are you serious???"

"Yes."

Old 05-04-2010, 07:10 AM

I wouldn't worry one bit about it. The police are not likely to show up if a guy calls and says "my neighbors motorcycle is too loud". Especially in a big city like LA - they have other priorities.

Second - my brother lives beside some old curmudgens - they have called the police countless times (dozens upon dozens). The first time or two the police showed up - after that they quit worrying about it. When they did come it was a "I have nothing else to do so I'll meander out there" kind of thing.

Finally - what are they going to do? Give you a noise violation - just pay the ticket and move on.

Old 05-04-2010, 08:01 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yep... sounds like you're being reasonable doing it during the day and only idling to let it warm up. Some people are just grumpy.... I'd just let it go.

Old 05-04-2010, 09:07 AM
Senior Member & Lord of The Man Cave
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

First, are you just totally letting it idle or giving it an occasional vrrrm...vRRRm? I can see a throttle burp being annoying.

Second, if you live on a hill you could coast with the engine off until you're way past his house and then start it and let it idle until you see the temp display start to rise. I live near the top of a hill and the days I ride mine to work I coast about 1/8 mile before I start it and then more or less idle through my subdivision. By the time I get to the main road it has warmed up enough to ride normally. I leave for work at 5:30 a.m. and I try to be a good neighbor, like everyone else around me.

Ask some of your other neighbors if the noise bugs them. If it does then maybe the guy has a valid complaint.

Old 05-04-2010, 09:15 AM

well my next door nieghbor (both him and his wife, i've asked a few times cause i feel bad) has said that they barely hear my bike at 0500 and it doesn't bother them and i have a D&D. after a month of them having no problem with it i dont feel bad letting it warm up in the driveway but i thought it was funny.....the other day he asked me to rev it once or twice when i leave cause then he'll know he missed his alarm if he's not up yet. lol. but durring the day i couldn't give a rats @$$ if someone thinks it loud. it keeps cages from merging into me!

Quick Reply: Neighbor's a bit ticked off at me and my bike...