Off Topic A place for you CBR junkies to boldly go off topic. Almost anything goes.

need your advice.

Old 04-25-2008, 07:24 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default need your advice.

okay sorry for the long post so fair warning. i'm 6"2 and weight about 235. i have been looking into bikes for about 3 months now and decidied to go with the CBR. but i don't know if i should go with the 600 or 1000. now i have driven dirt bikes offroad and onthe streets. driven an 08 DRZ400 and an SV650. i wanna a bike that i can enjoy for a long time to come. i think i wouldn't be doing much freeway and long distancedriving but my dad wants me to joing him in a couple of rides that are about a couple hundred miles. i wouldn't call myself a great rider but i know to ride a bike. like a said i've rode previous bikes. money is not an issue so what would you guys do in my situation?

Old 04-25-2008, 08:00 PM
Retired Moderator
Default RE: need your advice.

What I would do, if I were you, is go to ALL the dealers and sit my butt down on every bike I can find. If it is a Kawi, Suzuki, Yami,or Honda. Also, I would sit on the full fairing and naked models. See what feels good to you. You taller guys may experience alot more discomfort withthe more aggressively styled bikes. If money is no object, go out and do your thing, babe (that's the masculine version of babe...like Babe Ruth). Nobody can tell you what will feelcomfortable to you, but some of the taller members can probably push you in the right direction. I would tend to push you away from the litre bikes, but a guy your height may not fit on a Ninja 250 (great starter bike +1000000000). Good luck and keep us posted.

Old 04-25-2008, 08:00 PM
Jan 2009 ROTM

Welcome first off. My advice would be a 600. I have heard a lot of people say that well im a big guy so i need a 1000, thats a load of crap first off. I am only saying the 600 since you are not a real experienced rider, the 1000 is a wicked machine and not that easy to get comfortable on. The newer 600's are pretty wild themselves, however easier to learn on and keep off the pavement. Mainly though i would pick a bike that you like, if money is not a huge dilema. For any newer bike you get (accept the new 08 1kRR) there is a ton of aftermarket available to make the bike comfortable for you, specially for long trips. You can get nice wide cushy seats, differant handlebars that are higher so your not bent over so much, adjustable footpegs, so you can get your legs comfy. Go to a dealer, take a few test rides, get one you like the looks of and give you the best feel, then you can tweak them from there till its perfect for you.

Old 04-25-2008, 09:04 PM
Redcoat, & Maxwell's Silver Hammer, MVN and curmudgeon
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Find a CBR1000F - at your height and weight, any of the sports bikes will be a pain in the ***, (and shoulders, and back, and arms, and.....)
A 600'll be too small for you, IMHO
Come down to the Hurricane section of the Forum - long distance, high speed tourers for big boys....he he

Old 04-26-2008, 12:05 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I agree with Voodoo, we can give all the advice you want, everyone here has an opinion, but in the end, its only yours that matters.
If I was able to get a new bike & money was not a worry, I would be driving the dealerships crazy & sucking on every chockie in the box, then when I finally made up my mind, go in with a **** load of cash, wave it under the dealers nose till they started to drool & screw em for the rent on the bike of your dreams. Good luck on your quest, you lucky bastard.

Old 04-26-2008, 09:59 AM

I rode with my buddy last year he is 6'2", but hes a skinny guy 180lbs and he rode a GS500, but he couldnt afford it so he doesnt have **** this summer. I have rode dirtbikes and fourwheelers for years and sportbikes are a whole another category... I wouldnt reccomend starting off on a 1000, but its your choice.

Old 04-26-2008, 11:35 AM
RCR

CC's doesn't matter to me, I can kill myself on a 250 as easily as 1000. Thats all in my control. Get one that fits you and you like the styling of..

Old 04-26-2008, 11:59 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Have you thought about a VFR?

Old 04-26-2008, 01:11 PM

ORIGINAL: Redd

Have you thought about a VFR?
Good call Redd.

Old 04-26-2008, 01:16 PM
Banned