Off Topic A place for you CBR junkies to boldly go off topic. Almost anything goes.

Need some help determining laws about posting pics of cop cars on the web.

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-2006, 02:25 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need some help determining laws about posting pics of cop cars on the web.

Hey guys we just got done with a really good bike night one of the biggest ones we've had this summer. Anyway while we were gathered in a parking lot one of the local town cops rolled in and during his stay I snapped a few photos of his car with our bike by it. After taking my last photo he backed up and started yelling at me asking for my name and info and telling me that if this picture end up on our website (www.excessiveadrenaline.com) that he would be coming after me. Now my question is what kind of charges could possibly come from me posting a picture of his car on our website. I first took the pics as a joke but now that he pissed me off I really want to post them. You can't see his face in a any of the pics but you can clearly see the car number. I'm not familiar with the laws here in New York when it comes to things like this but I would assume that being a public servant in a public setting makes pics of him rolling around in his pig wagon fair game. Let me know if you guys have any experience with this or if you know where I can get more info.

Thanks

Old 08-02-2006, 04:18 AM
Default RE: Need some help determining laws about posting pics of cop cars on the web.

Hell at the very least you can just "censor" the car number..i cant see why it would be an issue..even with the number. Its not like youre framing him for killin bikers or somethin.

Old 08-02-2006, 10:15 AM
Default RE: Need some help determining laws about posting pics of cop cars on the web.

I'm not sure about new york, but in PA their isn't a law against posting picture's of civil servant's vehicles. Think about how often you turn on the news, and clear as day you have cop cars, ambulances, fire trucks, etc. It's not like its some sort of secret vehicle or something, that the public isn't suppose to see. I probably wouldn't do it just because the guy will be an a** and purposely look for you to make a mistake. But legally their shouldn't be any reprecussions. The funny part, is now you've got a cop looking at your website in his free time, you can really have some fun with that one!

Old 08-02-2006, 10:48 AM

You can post any picture you take in public on your site.

Old 08-02-2006, 11:24 PM

Why couldn't you post a picture of what your tax dollars purchased? His job is to serve and protect you and is funded by the public in that area. If I felt that he threatened me in any way, I would take it up with his boss. Remember folks, this isn't a third world nation; you have rights!

Old 08-03-2006, 02:40 PM

My guess is that he was somewhere he wasn't supposed to be. He doesn't want someone to know that he was spending time at the local motorcycle hangout when he was supposed to be responding to a domestic violence call or something...

Or maybe he rides an HD and he is afraid of getting his a$$ kicked by his buddies!

Who cares? Post it anyways!!!

Old 08-03-2006, 02:55 PM

Thanks guy... Im still up in the air on posting this. Like gtjimm said it will give him a reason to look for me and wait for me to make a mistake, but at the same time having him follow me around is grounds for harassment. Either way I should at the least report him to the PD because as a friend of mine pointed out Internal Affairs has to investigate an officer after a certian number of complaints have been filed. Still looking to see if anyone knows where I could get info that says for sure what the laws are on this issue.

Old 08-03-2006, 05:48 PM

I don't think you will find any laws one way or the other.

Think of it like this, the paparazi (sp?) take pictures of private individuals all the time and post them in the tabloids and they don't get sent to jail.

If you do post the picture I wouldn't be worried about seeing that officer following you around but, most of his buddies will. That way he gets his "revenge" and he is safe from the complaints.