Off Topic A place for you CBR junkies to boldly go off topic. Almost anything goes.

Vespa petitions for motorcycle parking

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-2006, 11:33 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Vespa petitions for motorcycle parking

Sign the Vespatition! Vespa USA has started a petition to help get more designated motorcycle parking.

www.vespausa.com

Parking for All! Sign the Vespatition to convert some automobile spaces to two-wheel spaces!

By signing the Vespatition, you are promoting the conversion of some automobile parking spaces to two-wheel spaces. The results will be publicized and sent to your local mayor.

Just as parking spaces for compact cars and handicapped parking stalls have increased efficiency and convenience in urban and suburban communities, officially designated two-wheel parking facilities can do the same.

Government agencies should consider removing the two-wheeler from the four-wheeler parking space and placing it in its own, scaled down zone. This is a simple concept that can be embraced by city councils, urban planners, local merchants, contractors, shopping center management and private businesses whenever parking for motor vehicles is provided.

Here are some suggestions for motorcycle/scooter parking that we are proposing:

Street-legal parking - convert a number of existing parking spaces every couple of streets to motorcycle/scooter parking

* Spaces can be metered or un-metered
* The smaller size of two-wheel vehicles allows them to fit into unoccupied areas on streets and sidewalks, creating efficiencies in urban planning and increasing city revenues (if metered).
* Six motorcycles, scooters or limited-access motorcycles carrying from six to twelve people can be parked in the area normally taken up by one automobile. If, however, no motorcycle parking facility is provided in the area, one would possibly find those six motorcycles occupying up to six separate automobile spaces.

Convert unused space - cement curbs of a certain size can be converted to two-wheel parking. A specialized parking area for motorcycles and scooters not only leaves more space for the automobiles, but also caters to the riders' needs by providing a well-lit, convenient and secure location in which they may confidently leave their vehicle. Such facilities can be small in area and can usually be located near a building entrance or at the end of a parking island.

Parking garages - designate parking spaces in municipal garages for two-wheel vehicles. Create a more equitable rate structure for two-wheel vehicle parking in private garages.

Sidewalk parking - permit scooters and motorcycles to be parked in designated areas on sidewalks and locked to structures which currently accommodate bicycles.

Old 08-02-2006, 02:57 PM
Retired Admin
Default RE: Vespa petitions for motorcycle parking

right on!! I'm all about that....you got my signature!

Old 08-02-2006, 08:03 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

im down with that too! good find, now if we could only get our own lane...

other than the dashed line lane....

Old 08-02-2006, 08:13 PM

That's sweet, but I doubt it'll happen very much. When I worked for Nike, we had a designated motorcycle parking spot. It was about 3 regular parking spaces converted into one. First time I had ever seen bike only parking. It was awesome! And yes, some tool did park a car there on occasion.

Old 08-02-2006, 11:31 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

no way, i see them at the Alamo Cycle Plex all the time...just kidding, of course they would have designated parking there.

Old 08-03-2006, 09:38 AM

Ya got my vote!!

Tylor

Old 08-03-2006, 06:51 PM
Admin Emeritus & MVN
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Ya, I usually end up parking somewhere I ain't sposed to. My kid's principal gave me an odd look as I parked it near the front door (daughter left her medicine at home). Just told him "No way I'm parking it where your bus drivers can get a whack at it." He nodded and smiled.