Off Topic A place for you CBR junkies to boldly go off topic. Almost anything goes.

need opinions/help

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-2007 | 07:24 PM
Default need opinions/help

My buddy went down a few weeks ago for the last time... His bike is now in my name, because his parents don't know what else to do with it. I'm not going to be keeping the bike. I'm trying to decide whetherI should part it out, or I should fix it and sell it as salvaged or just leave it the way it is and sell it. I'm not trying to make a huge profit, but the money will go to his parents and to a memorial fund. What do you guys think the best option is?

The bike is a 2005 600rr. It has roughly 8k miles.

Problems:
Bent front rim.
Rear rim may be bad, not sure
No rear sub frame
No headers
No exhaust
No fairings
No gauge cluster
Needs few little parts (reset, levers, maybe a few more)

Good:
Good engine
Frame is straight
Forks are good
The bike runs

Thanks in advance.

Old 10-04-2007 | 07:45 PM
Default RE: need opinions/help

If you have the time, and money, there are eons of good, used 600RR parts available online and if you exercise a little patience you could get them for a fraction of retail. But it won't happen all at once. It could take three to six months to find the best parts at the best prices. I have 15 different saved searches on ebay and I check them at least twice a day for my 900 (it's a collector's bike by now) so I know it's possible, especially if the motor, frame, and forks are good. But if you're already proficient as an ebay seller, parting it out will most likely get you more money than selling as-is, which would be what, fifteen hundred bucks? I say fix it, spend another 1500 to 2k, then sell it for at least 5k. And maybe by then you might even want to keep it, just to have a part of your friend still around...

Old 10-04-2007 | 08:12 PM
Retired Moderator ans All Around Good Guy

probably just sell it all as one piece and be done with it .. imagine all the CL falkers who will say they want it never show ....all the time you are looking @ your buddies bike and these people try to low ball you about it .. just get rid of it was fast as possible

Old 10-04-2007 | 08:31 PM

Thats what i figured rob, I don't the money on hand to buy parts, and i wont be getting any any time soon... so option 1 is out... Now part it out or sell it as whole...

Old 10-04-2007 | 09:06 PM
Retired Moderator

I don't have a suggestion, but I wanted to share my condolences for your friend. I am so sorry for your loss. I agree with Spirit...you may want to keep a piece of the bike as a memorial to him. Pass our love and prayers on to his family.

Old 10-04-2007 | 09:49 PM

Ahhhhh, I wouldnt put any money into it. It will cost way more to put it together than you will get out of it (most likely)

Old 10-04-2007 | 11:13 PM

ok this is just my opinion...

if someone lost their life on it it to me would be bad karma to sell it..... even the parts can be a little weird. I would use it to educate young riders who don't understand the true risks and try to use it to save lives....I know it sounds silly but some of the young new riders can not quite grasp anything till they see it. also I am not sure how this happened but for instance if it was the result of a cager then use it to make car drivers more aware of motorcycles.....

my condolences to you and his family......... I really do not know what else to say but I hope everyone he left behind can come to peace with the loss.

Old 10-05-2007 | 01:29 AM
Retired Moderator ans All Around Good Guy

ya know there is M.A.D.D i believe who has a exclosed trialer which houses a wrecked car , so it is possible you could donate it to a group like that to educate ... and im sure they would make it a tax write off (notsaying thats why you would be doing it) but on the other hand his family might really need the money

Old 10-05-2007 | 02:16 AM

hmm, Donation is a good idea, I will look into it. Thanks for the suggestions and condolences, it is appreciated.

Old 10-05-2007 | 02:44 AM
Friend and Hero ...

ORIGINAL: BlindinOrange

ok this is just my opinion...

if someone lost their life on it it to me would be bad karma to sell it..... even the parts can be a little weird. I would use it to educate young riders who don't understand the true risks and try to use it to save lives....I know it sounds silly but some of the young new riders can not quite grasp anything till they see it. also I am not sure how this happened but for instance if it was the result of a cager then use it to make car drivers more aware of motorcycles.....

my condolences to you and his family......... I really do not know what else to say but I hope everyone he left behind can come to peace with the loss.
Sounds like the Best Idea I've Heard on This One ALL NITE