Off Topic A place for you CBR junkies to boldly go off topic. Almost anything goes.

Need a hobby. Suggestions?

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2011, 09:46 AM
August 2011 ROTM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Kuroshio, Bonsai is not really a tree that your dog can pee on. I have couple on the stand. But it doesn't take that much to care for. So you won't be spending enough time to be busy with this hobby.

You need several hobbies!! You can get into dog obedience training. Your dogs can get legs (little award) and move to utility which includes jumping, agility is fun too.

Old 02-28-2011, 07:34 AM

Fishing and Archery - Summer, spring and fall; you know when it's warm out.
Reading and video games - Winter and rainy days.

I'm like Nate in the sense of hanging out at the gym but that isn't a hobby more of a personal health thing. Don't really enjoy it somedays or do it to relax. I do it so that I'm not a porker doing the things I do enjoy

Old 02-28-2011, 09:29 PM

+1 on homebrewing... it can be easy or difficult, and is relatively cheap to get started, and you can get into for as much as you want to..
$100-200 gets your equipment and your first batch of beer
start out "partial mash" which is extract with some specialty grains then move up to "all grain" which is pretty difficult with regards to the volume of grain, the size of your stock pot and temperature control, but gives you a higher degree of control on the final product. I've been home brewing for 6 years, I've made easy batches and difficult batches, one of my most difficult batches and one of my easiest batches were two of my best, so now I'm trying to make an easier version of the difficult one so my brother can get started.

target shooting is fun, it's even funner (yeah i like that word) when you hunt, because then it pays off.

model cars can be fun, they can be as difficult as you want them to be, it's also a pretty cheap hobby.

there's always custom motorcycle or car stuff you can do.. building engines, molding/modifying bodywork, painting but that gets pretty expensive

I run/bike/swim (triathlete) and although it's fun, I don't consider it mentally challenging, it's just physically challenging.. also it chews up a lot of time, but it does keep me in shape.

what about doing some track days on the bike? again, it will get expensive, but you can learn a lot and become a better rider.

I read every day, but again, not really a challenging hobby.

Old 02-28-2011, 10:33 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by yumoncbr
Kuroshio, Bonsai is not really a tree that your dog can pee on. I have couple on the stand. But it doesn't take that much to care for. So you won't be spending enough time to be busy with this hobby.

You need several hobbies!! You can get into dog obedience training. Your dogs can get legs (little award) and move to utility which includes jumping, agility is fun too.
Heh, I know Bonsai trees aren't big enough to pee on. A more realistic concern would be if they're poisonous or harmful to dogs, seeing as they'd be more likely to eat them

Old 03-01-2011, 01:18 PM

Originally Posted by Kuroshio
Heh, I know Bonsai trees aren't big enough to pee on. A more realistic concern would be if they're poisonous or harmful to dogs, seeing as they'd be more likely to eat them
you could always not leave them on the floor

Old 03-01-2011, 03:30 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by drzed1980
you could always not leave them on the floor
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m1swCGy6mc4

She's also mastered the "Floor-> Couch -> Chair -> Dining Room Table" Jump too

Old 03-01-2011, 05:24 PM

put the lotion on the skin...

Old 03-01-2011, 10:34 PM

Originally Posted by NateDieselF4i
Believe it or not, I enjoy reading quite a bit.

I bought one of those new Kindle's not too long ago - best purchase i've made in a while. Its great.

I also shoot. Glock G27 is my carry piece.
I also have a SPringfield XDm .40
Ruger Mark I
Makarov .380
Colt .22
A couple rifles
I love shooting.
i have a Glock 26 and Glock 19. carry both, the 19 lately because its cold and can wear coats so the slightly bigger size doesnt really matter. the 26 anytime i plan on being inside or wearing just a shirt.

and like someone said about the ruger. I LOVE those. my step dad has one ive shot alot, the mark I also i believe. and $10 for 550 rounds of .22, what else can you ask for? lol

Old 03-02-2011, 05:26 PM

what about wood working? my grandpa use to whittle (sp?) when i was real young and i still have a few of the model-t cars he did.

Old 03-03-2011, 08:34 PM

Origami. It is extremely detail oriented. On very complex models, every fold matters. Its cheap, requires a lot of time and patience, and is very rewarding after folding for hours/days/weeks to complete complex models.

Quick Reply: Need a hobby. Suggestions?