Off Topic A place for you CBR junkies to boldly go off topic. Almost anything goes.

Need a hobby. Suggestions?

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2011, 05:55 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by scorpionvmu
if you want something to take your time.try puzzles
they are cheap and take a lot of time.
^^^Partially agree, puzzles are a good idea but 3d puzzles are a great idea. Those huge white house type ones. I was looking for a hobby while on my deployment in 09, I almost got into legos believe it or not. I wanted bags and bags sent and build a village!! But MW1 came out and that turned into a lan line party hobby.

Women also pay me for se........ahhhh never mind.....

Just a joke dont lock it boss.

Old 02-26-2011, 06:31 PM

aside from much of the already stated, gun range, r/c cars planes and helis, ive been shooting pool al ot more and am now playing APA. playin for a chance to go to vegas. that and im into hunting and have decided to take up archery.

i like the scuba diving idea. my old man was an instructor and says its a complete different world below the water.

Old 02-26-2011, 07:30 PM

i race nitro 1/8 rc cars not no kids toys there

Old 02-26-2011, 07:31 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Pretty good suggestions.
  • Bonsai trees... Erm, I have 2 puppies. Last thing I need is a tree in my house while potty training
  • Scuba diving... I wish I could. Would mean more vacations some place away from Philly. Scuba diving in the Schuylkill might melt the wetsuit
  • Reading... Problem with reading is moving a library. Last time I saw the iPad I got for Xmas, my girlfriend was planting crops in Farmville on it. I'm no literary slouch as it is.
  • dohcdelsol you know of any decent pool halls with 9' tables in Philly? The coin tables are usually 8' and I prefer to rent by the hour
  • 3D puzzles... Hmmm
  • Shooting... Hmmm, I'd get to go buy another gun
I am still thinking of the R/C helicopters too. Worse come to worse, I could tie a bone to the skid and walk the dogs from a lawn chair

Old 02-26-2011, 08:20 PM

+1 on RC planes and helis.

my brother just got big into it and dropped a couple grand into the hobby in a few months. I started flying a small cheap beginner champ so I could go hang out at the field with him and his friends and as gay as that hobby sounds I really started liking it and since then got a few more plans and am spending more time with it.

Fun stuff.

Get a chap by hobbyzone if you start tho. It cost 90 out the door and is great for learning ( slow, and not super touchy to the controls ) I have crashed it a million times before i had to replace parts and eventually just bought a brand new one when I got good and wouldnt crash it cuz I love the way it flys so simple.

theres my idea

Old 02-26-2011, 08:46 PM
Administrator, MVN / ROTM NOV 2012
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Shooting, fishing , hunting, drinking

Sailing, boating, kayaking , mountain biking.

Eating, drinking ( ) chainsaw carving , snowmobiling.

Brewing, grilling, partying ............sleep

ooops forgot one ..... archery !

Last edited by Sprock; 02-26-2011 at 08:49 PM.
Old 02-26-2011, 09:43 PM

i really need to start shooting things. itll be my new hobby craze

Old 02-26-2011, 09:46 PM

Originally Posted by Kuroshio
Pretty good suggestions.
  • Bonsai trees... Erm, I have 2 puppies. Last thing I need is a tree in my house while potty training
  • Scuba diving... I wish I could. Would mean more vacations some place away from Philly. Scuba diving in the Schuylkill might melt the wetsuit
  • Reading... Problem with reading is moving a library. Last time I saw the iPad I got for Xmas, my girlfriend was planting crops in Farmville on it. I'm no literary slouch as it is.
  • dohcdelsol you know of any decent pool halls with 9' tables in Philly? The coin tables are usually 8' and I prefer to rent by the hour
  • 3D puzzles... Hmmm
  • Shooting... Hmmm, I'd get to go buy another gun
I am still thinking of the R/C helicopters too. Worse come to worse, I could tie a bone to the skid and walk the dogs from a lawn chair
i love helicopters. what about flying as a hobby kuro? You can start slowly working your way towards a private flying license. Fixed wing or Rotorcraft. Getting my license was such a great experience for me.

Old 02-27-2011, 08:47 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Poison dart frog habitat. Ive looked into them in dedicated forums and some of them can get pretty intricate with alot of detail. And they look super nice displayed in your home, its like your very own tropical rainforest.

Currently I have like a 55 gallon tank that my friend gave me. Im gonna make nice box turtle terrarium, gonna fill it with moss/potting soil combo, lots of nice plants. a small pool area (prolly like a painting tray) . I picturing it really nice.

Last edited by (951) Baby Shortee; 02-27-2011 at 08:49 AM.
Old 02-27-2011, 08:56 AM
Super Moderator and Official Welcome Crew Yeti
Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

learn a new skill. find info online, check out the library at a local tech college, etc. always good to have a career back-up plan, and you might find out you like/are good at something else or can make some $ on the side.

or find some volunteer opportunities in your area.

personally, i'm currently looking into refereeing for community / high school games.

Last edited by regener8ed; 02-27-2011 at 09:01 AM.

Quick Reply: Need a hobby. Suggestions?