Off Topic A place for you CBR junkies to boldly go off topic. Almost anything goes.

Need help and suggestions on leather jackets...

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-2007, 09:40 AM
Registered Users
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need help and suggestions on leather jackets...

I really need to get a leather. I have a textile with armor, but it will not keep me warm in the cooler months and besides that, I just don't think it will protect as much. The textile came with the bike from the guy I bought it and have never had the dough to get a nice leather. Well, I realize, the more I ride, the more I need one. Now, I am not doing track days yet, and when that rolls around, I will likely buy a suit of some sort so I am looking for primarily a street jacket that I will wear on a pretty regular basis seeing as I ride almost every day.

That being said, I am also sort of a visual stickler meaning I like my stuff look nice, dunno, I just care for some reason. Okay, so now that I have all the formalities out of the way, I am looking at a few different leathers from Joe Rocket, Icon, etc.

How many of you guys have jackets that have spine protectors other than the CE rated shoulder and arm protectors. I know the leather will help, but how many of you have spine protectors and/or inserts in their leather? Beyond that, do you think I should really find one that does have one or can I go with one that just has the arm and shoulder armor and leave the leather for the rest?

For those of you who have went down, what are your opinions.

I want a cool looking leather, but I am not willing to sacrifice my safety for some cool design.

Thanks guys...really appreciate the suggestions.

Old 09-27-2007, 09:51 AM
Default RE: Need help and suggestions on leather jackets...

Joe rocket, Shift, Alpinestars makes some nice leathers, Icon make some nice ones too, but who can afford $600 for a jacket...wish I could

I like the shift leather jackets, my buddy just got ta shift SR1 red leather...very nice, said he paid $250 shipped off ebay, heres a pic off the shift website:

Old 09-27-2007, 10:06 AM

This is the leather jacket I have. I has the CE protectors in the elbows, shoulders and down most of the back too. They also come in a black/grey colour combination.

Old 09-27-2007, 11:57 AM

+1 on the Joe Rocket leather jacket. I'm looking hard into getting a blue one of those myself. I'm not going to stick to the foam padding for the back protector though. I'm going to step it up and pay the $80 for the CE rated back protector that can replace that foam. Now... I just need to figure out what size of jacket I would wear. We don't have any Joe-rocket dealers anywhere around me.... so I can't just try some leather jackets on to get an idea of fit. > Find the Back protector here. (Note that they say the CE rated armor may even be more comfortable than the original dual-density foam. )

Also... on a side note, I think I'll be getting a textile jacket from them as well. I have a mesh Firstgear jacket now, and it does alright. I got to try on a large (which was a bit too big for me, ironicly, at 6'2"), and it fit real nice, but I think I need a medium in the textile. The selling point for me, with it, is the visor bag built into the jacket itself. That's hella cool and I wish the leather had it.

Old 09-27-2007, 12:26 PM

I JUST ordered the red/black version of this jacket

http://newenough.com/protective_appa...le_jacket.html

And these gloves

http://newenough.com/closeouts/glove...le_gloves.html

You need gloves too.

Old 09-27-2007, 12:56 PM
Registered Users

I think I am going to go with this Alpinestar...it's a new '08 model....and btw...i have gloves

Alpinestars ROD Leather Jacket [ul][*]1.2-1.4mm full grain leather for excellent abrasion resistance.[*]Multiple stitched main seam construction for maximum tear resistance.[*]Removable CE-certified soft elbow and shoulder protectors.[*]Pre-curved sleeves for riding comfort.[*]Sport fit.[*]Waist adjustment.[*]Perforated leather panels for increased cooling.[*]Waist connection zipper allows attachment to selected Alpinestars Leather and textile pants.[*]Chest Padding compartment with PE padding (Bionic Chest Guard available as accessory).[*]Back Protector compartment with PE padding (CE-certified RC back protector available as accessory).[*]YKK Semi auto-lock zippers.[*]Removable thermal vest liner.[*]Perforated leather panels for increased cooling.[*]TPR Logos and details.[*]Air Mesh panels on the back for increased cooling.[/ul]http://www.kneedraggers.com/details/Alpinestars_ROD_Leather_Jacket--622533.html

Old 09-27-2007, 01:36 PM

ORIGINAL: Lrn2Go

I'm going to step it up and pay the $80 for the CE rated back protector that can replace that foam. Now... I just need to figure out what size of jacket I would wear. We don't have any Joe-rocket dealers anywhere around me.... so I can't just try some leather jackets on to get an idea of fit. > Find the Back protector here. (Note that they say the CE rated armor may even be more comfortable than the original dual-density foam. )
I was under the understanding that the back protector in that Joe Rocket leather jacket I posted was CE rated. At least thats what they told me at the store I bought it from.

Old 09-27-2007, 01:39 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have 2 Joe Rockets a leather n a meshie. And a Teknic leather jacket. all with teh CE armor. Dont have a spine protector except for the armor in the jackets.

Old 09-27-2007, 03:15 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

yoooo....that foam padding can be CE rated but not provide any impact protection...so just something to be aware of.

Old 09-27-2007, 03:27 PM

ORIGINAL: scattabrain

I was under the understanding that the back protector in that Joe Rocket leather jacket I posted was CE rated. At least thats what they told me at the store I bought it from.
I guess it's all in marketing a sale.
Just incase you're wondering if it's the same jacket... then click this link ==>Here<==

Directly from the Joe Rocket website...[*]1.4mm Cowhide[*]C.E. rated protectors in shoulders and elbows[*]Removable spine pad with pocket for optional C.E. spine protector[*]Variable Flow™ ventilation system[*]Sure Fit™ adjustable waistband[*]360° plus 8" zipper for pant attachment[*]Reflective stripe[*]Pocket for audio device with port for wire

Quick Reply: Need help and suggestions on leather jackets...