Off Topic A place for you CBR junkies to boldly go off topic. Almost anything goes.

NEED HELP NOW!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2008, 05:19 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default NEED HELP NOW!!!!

I just finished fork seals on one leg and the other leg i can not get the allan bolt loose on the bottom of the damper rod. Ican not seperate the slider from the fork leg for whatever reason. What am i to do to get this seal out without removing the damper rod.

Old 04-17-2008, 08:43 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: NEED HELP NOW!!!!

Apart from taking the fork down to the shop, you need to be able to put some decent leverage on the allan key, but it has to be stable & still be able to maintain the allan fit so it won't round it out or slip. I went & got a set of allan key sockets that fit on my wrench for that reason. You can just buy the one off for that size though & not the whole set.

Old 04-18-2008, 12:35 AM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

In a worse case scenario, you could just drill the head of the allen screw off. I've done this before on and it was a lot of work to make sure that I didn't damage the fork leg. You'll need a drill bit that is just a tad smaller than the allen key area. Drill on it just until you're about through it. Then support the fork leg so that you can hammer a punch and break off the last little bit of the allen head. I had mine upside down and padding for the dampening rod to fall onto. From there you can take out the last of the allen screw by putting some vise grips on the remaining stud. This is only if you have stripped the allen key and a large size isn't working. Good luck!!

Old 04-18-2008, 01:22 AM
Banned
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Have you tried using a box end wrench on the allen key to help with leverage. If you take the box end of the wrench and put it over the end of the allen key you can create a longer leverage point. Make sure the allen is still squared into the bolt before you start turning.

Or you can buy the allen key sockets like Pacemaker said. This will help you get all the leverage you need. Just make sure you do not round off the allen bolt or you will be in deeper water.

Good luck.