Off Topic A place for you CBR junkies to boldly go off topic. Almost anything goes.

my turn to rant

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2007, 01:19 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default my turn to rant

I am really pissed off at school... I hate, wait I take that back, I despise physics. I despise it with every bone in my body right now. I have been out of school way too damn long to compete with some of these kids fresh out of all their AP classes. I did allright in high school when I wasnt drinking and partying, but to go back after 9 years seems a little much at this point. I have been working on these 16 physics problems for about 9 hours now and have two left. I needed a break and a place to vent and the wife is asleep.

Anyone else go back as a non-trad and have any problems with all the little punks running around?

Old 02-14-2007, 01:31 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: my turn to rant

Post up your problems, we'll take a stab at it. j/k

I went back after only 4 years in the Navy,the young punks sure got on my nerves.
Not to offend anyone young,but their priorities sure are different.

Old 02-14-2007, 01:40 AM

haha here anyone goes if they want a shot

A helicopter is lifting two crates simultaneously. One crate with a mass of 187 kg is attached to the helicopter by cable A. The second crate with a mass of 68 kg is hanging below the first crate and attached to the first crate by cable B. As the helicopter accelerates upward at a rate of 1.8 m/s2, what is the tension in each of the two cables?

Old 02-14-2007, 01:41 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

the answer is always 7

Old 02-14-2007, 02:50 AM

I started college when I was 23, now I'm 27. I go nights, part time, since I work full time during the day (well, not currently) and all these turds look so young to me that it's not even funny. I think most of the 18-22 year olds think I'm faculty because it never fails - they call me sir and ****. If they only knew...

Old 02-14-2007, 03:18 AM

ORIGINAL: dwhite645

I started college when I was 23, now I'm 27. I go nights, part time, since I work full time during the day (well, not currently) and all these turds look so young to me that it's not even funny. I think most of the 18-22 year olds think I'm faculty because it never fails - they call me sir and ****. If they only knew...
I tell my non-trad buddies its easy to tell us apart... we are the only ones who can sucessfully grow facial hair. What is it about the 19 year old kids with pubes out their chins these days? I mean comeon what mom and dad cant afford a razor after tuition?

Old 02-14-2007, 03:27 AM
Banned

[quote]ORIGINAL: telgren

A helicopter is lifting two crates simultaneously. One crate with a mass of 187 kg is attached to the helicopter by cable A. The second crate with a mass of 68 kg is hanging below the first crate and attached to the first crate by cable B. As the helicopter accelerates upward at a rate of 1.8 m/s2, what is the tension in each of the two cables?
Jello.

Old 02-14-2007, 03:34 AM
Retired Moderator ans All Around Good Guy

i just went back to my HS the other day to visit an old teacher of mine. and i looked around the room and thought most of the kids in there were fresh maybe sophs and my teach said nope most are seniors ! ive been out about 4 years now but i felt really old being back there... i couldnt imagine going to college when im like 30 and being in the same classes with 18 yr olds fresh outta hs .

so by using F=MxA the tension would be 459n if M= 255 k and A= 1.8 m/s2

i could be wrong and i probably am lol

Old 02-14-2007, 04:30 AM

ORIGINAL: telgren

ORIGINAL: havoc_on_2_wheels

so by using F=MxA the tension would be 459n if M= 255 k and A= 1.8 m/s2

i could be wrong and i probably am lol
Interestingly enough, you’re correct…to a certain extent; it’s not exactly that easy. Newton’s Second Law states F=MA. (Sum of All) F = MA
Okay, so both crates are accelerating at 1.8 m/s^2, so the sum of all the forces on each of the crates should equal to the mass of the crates * 1

The FIRST crate, it has 2 forces on it:
1. Gravity in the down direction with force = m*g
2. Tension in the cable in the up direction with force T (which is unknown at the moment).

[Let up be positive and down be negative]

Sum of all forces:
-m*g + T = 1 * m
T = m * (g+1) = 187 * (9.8+1) = 2019.6 N

The SECOND crate, it has 3 forces on it:
1. Gravity in the down direction.
2. Tension in cable connecting this crate to the first, in the down direction as well.
3. Tension in the cable connecting this crate to the helicopter in the up direction.

-m*g - 2019.6 + T2 = 1 * m

T2 = m * (g+1) +2019.6 = I’ll let you work that out

N is for Newtons if you haven't figured that out yet. BTW you should have if you're a physics student haha.
I think I did that right, but I'm too lazy to check. Good enough to get you started right?
...And to answer your future questions: YES, I'm asian...gosh....[sm=smiley23.gif]

Old 02-14-2007, 04:42 AM
Retired Moderator ans All Around Good Guy

^ this is exactly why i hated physics ! well that and chem and math in general lol i just slept with the TA and got all the tests . damn that girl was freaky in bed too

Quick Reply: my turn to rant