Off Topic A place for you CBR junkies to boldly go off topic. Almost anything goes.

Are my days done?

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-2021, 01:21 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Are my days done?

Hi,
I lurked in the f4 forums then decided to join. Now my story goes.
My 2000 cbr600f4 finally blew. I loved and nurtured this bike so much it literally sits inside my new house right in my old dining area. Not many of the 99-2000 engines out there for sale in low mileage and you get no guarantee. So I started buying parts. Sitting in my shop area (used to be dining) are
-4 new pistons
-8 used rods
-2 sets of good spare cases
-2 spare cranks
-a full gasket set
So as you see, I did the opposite of buying cheap drop in. I wanted my bike back, at the best it can be, because this particular unit is worth saving.
Dilemma- I had to have a limb rebuilt and many other injuries from a snowmobile accident. I'm not 25 anymore. I have to take morphine 24 hours a day for some relief, and another prescription that slows nerve down. I feel like I dont ever have no business getting on this bike again.
It may be 21 years old but with 70k on it would still do 155mph any place, anytime, and still fearsome to ride. I have never felt I needed an upgrade. Well before 2000 the 600 supersports were man killers if not respected.
My question is would you finish and get back on such a dangerous bike so quick?would you get right back at it? Would you hold off? Or simply go no more sportbikes?
I feel who I share the road withs safety is at risk being on the roads with me. I think.....I think I'm done......

Old 01-02-2021, 07:36 AM
Administrator and MVN, March 2012/Oct 2013 ROTM
Received 117 Likes on 107 Posts

If you truly are a danger to yourself and others (more than the normal expected level) by being on the road, then you definitely shouldn't be. Give it time though. Things may change for you, or maybe they won't. Hopefully your situation will change for the better and you will be able to get back on the bike someday.

Those of us advancing in age are often forced to give up things that we have always done as our bodies fall apart. It sucks, but it's life.

Old 01-02-2021, 08:58 AM
Super Moderator
Received 314 Likes on 258 Posts

I would focus on you and the bike both getting better.

IMO there’s nothing special about a sport bike in this regard. You take yourself out on a moped just as easily as you can a go fast bike.

If you haven’t already done it, seek care from a pain management doctor.