Off Topic A place for you CBR junkies to boldly go off topic. Almost anything goes.

My Babys New Bike!!!

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-2009, 10:31 AM
Ladies Lounge Moderator
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by white_knuckled08
Her skills are not in question. The problem was that she was worried about the line of traffic behind her.she was doing great the whole ride. Looking through the corners, braking before and accelerating out of them , maintaining lane position. And by the way i'm almost finished with my 80hr instructor course to be a MSC instructor so I think i'm ok to teach her. But I have to admit she is hard headed. And she is going to take the course later this month and i'm not going to be there. I tried to get her in one a month and half ago but they where all full.
Not to be mean but, as a new rider myself- yes, her skills *are* in question. It's not that she can't end up a good rider, it's just that there's soo much that can go wrong as a noob. I still have a ****load to learn, and after one accident already I know just how much. Mine was taking off from a stop too- it can be touchy. Have her practice more, it's something I'm going to be working on a lot to come back.

Old 07-14-2009, 10:31 PM

Originally Posted by justasquid
ya know, I guess I'm just not sure if you can adjust the front on those bikes. I was just assuming, sorry, I think I gave some bad info. I did a little net searching and it looks like your only good option is to upgrade to a stiffer spring and heavier weight oil. Keep in mind, if your GF is significantly lighter than you, she will probably be fine with the suspension being soft. The 250 according to the net is extremely soft, which would be great for lighter riders.

Check your tire for uneven wear. Also, check the front rotor to make sure its not warped. Its actually pretty common and when you apply the brake, it will chatter the front end.

as for the wobble, it could again be an unevenly worn tire, or the rear to front tire is not inline. Meaning the rear tire is probably not aligned correctly with the chassis. also check tire pressure.

as for ajusting the head bearing. Im just not sure on that bike. Its basically two bearing that are compressed bewteen two races. there is a center shaft that they both ride on. there should be one large nut, remove that nut and there will be one, or two lock washers. They resemble the spanner nuts on a rear shock. You can just tighten the bearings up until you feel the steering get tight, then back it off slightly so the handle bars are easy to turn, about an 1/8 turn. Of course, your bike may not be anything like this. So sorry if Im wasting your time.

You can sit on the bike, apply the front brake and rock the bike back and forth as hard as you can. If you don't feel and clunking or hear any clucking, the bearings are probably ok, but its still worth looking into.

I know there are a few 250R forums out there, maybe check some of those out. they probably have a tech section that would be very helpful.

ok so i striped the bike down last night and found out that the left fork is so freakin bent its not funny!lol i ordered some new ones. also it has a new rear tire just put on so maybe it wasnt aligned. but i know since the fork is so bent it probsbly leaked the oil out and between no oil and a bent fork ther is the wobble and the jack hammer chatter when i stop. im kinda relived i guess. well as long as when i fix these things alol the problems go away. oh and just for the record when i stripped it down i found aftermarket carbs with K@n filters and its a stage three dyno jet kit. i filled the oil wich was empty and drove it today. all i can say is DAM!!!!! that bike moves! im so impressed with this 250. i could esaliy smoke lots of cars and some neewbs on 600.

Old 07-15-2009, 10:39 AM
Retired Moderator & The Big Deal

Originally Posted by Elfling
Not to be mean but, as a new rider myself- yes, her skills *are* in question. It's not that she can't end up a good rider, it's just that there's soo much that can go wrong as a noob. I still have a ****load to learn, and after one accident already I know just how much. Mine was taking off from a stop too- it can be touchy. Have her practice more, it's something I'm going to be working on a lot to come back.
Couldn't have said it better myself, when my Ex bought the ninja 650r we went through the same thing, She only ended up dropping the bike twice in 1 year and since then she rode my f4i for another year. now she has no bike but the point is still there.