Off Topic A place for you CBR junkies to boldly go off topic. Almost anything goes.

My Babys New Bike!!!

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-2009, 11:05 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default My Babys New Bike!!!

So my girl just picked up a 2002 ninja 250. dam im scared! i hope she takes it slow. It is a pretty nice bike though. i drove it back from the guys house we bought it from . it was about 30 some miles. the front forks are shot . well at least i think thats what it is. when you come to a stop with the front brake the front end bottms out and vibrates bad. but i just ordered some new seals . im hopin that does it. besides that its in ok shap. it has some cracks in the plastic but its a starter bike , who cares. also it has the dyno jet kit and f1 exhaust. its pretty peppy , and tif the forks werent so bad i would have pushed her. i got to 80 and it was so alive and pulling hard. anyway let me know what you think guys. bought if you think its the forls if you think i got a good deal, any feed back would help. Oh the bike is a 2002 ninja 250 with 12000 miles

Old 07-12-2009, 01:23 PM

Generally, if the fork seals are blown, they will leak oil. If there isnt any leaking, either the fork seals are ok, or there isnt any oil left in the forks to leak.

check to see what the suspension settings are. If the bike was set up for a really light rider, they might just be at the lowest setting. If your a fairly heavy guy, it might just be a combination of the two. But, either way, the forks really shouldnt bottom out, but I would check it all out before I tore it apart.

I understand you being scared. I am still nervous when my wife rides her bike. She started out on an 02 R6 and now rides a zx636. She does really well, but I still have issues when she takes it by herself. My wife dropped her R6 3 times. every time was when she was coming to a stop, the bike just fell over. In fairness, 2 of the times the bike wasnt lowered for her yet as she is only 5'3". Just be sure she is wearing some decent gear in case she tips it over. Gloves, good boots, full length jeans, jacket, helmet. And if you really want her to ride, encourage her a ton. Make sure you tell what she is doing wrong, but also make sure to tell her the things she is doing right.

Old 07-12-2009, 05:56 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Makes you realise what our parents went through The forks could be out of oil, but the on the 250's they tend to dive easily & maybe the head bearings could use an adjustment. A heavier weight oil will certainly fix the problem, but don't make them to hard.
I remember trying out a few CBR250's when my nephew was looking for his 1st bike & they certainly put on grin on my face with their handling & "I love to rev" motors.

Old 07-12-2009, 07:02 PM
Ladies Lounge Moderator

She'll do awesome on it Sounds like a good deal mile-wise to me. Maybe adjust the suspension, front-fork drive can relate strongly to that IIRC.

Old 07-13-2009, 01:07 PM
Red face wifes first ride out on the road

Well I took me wife out for her first ride on Sunday, I had a bad feeling about it but she wanted to go. She had been riding in a parking lot for a while and she had the basics down and was ready to go, so we thought. Long story short she wrecked her brand new 2009 v star 650. Not a bad wreck but she scrared the crap out of me and herself. She was doing good in the corners, but what got her was taking off on a hill/off camber corner at a stop sign. She stalled it 3 times and on the 4th try when she took off I knew she was in trouble. straight across the road, through the ditch up the bank about 5 feet, then the bike and her rolled over back down the bank the bike did 1 complete flip. the bike landed on her giving her some ugly bruises but she is ok just swore. Her body saved the bike. lol. The bike got a little dent in the tank and 1 on the lower muffler, bent the bars but i fixed them when i got it home along with the bent shifter.The funny part was as I shoot across the road on my 1krr all I see is her holding up her hand giving me the thumbs up. And she won't let me sell the bike she is dead set on riding it again.When she feels better. But I can't say much I wrecked my first bike a f3 tree times and wanted to get right back on..

Old 07-13-2009, 10:28 PM

Originally Posted by justasquid
Generally, if the fork seals are blown, they will leak oil. If there isnt any leaking, either the fork seals are ok, or there isnt any oil left in the forks to leak.

check to see what the suspension settings are. If the bike was set up for a really light rider, they might just be at the lowest setting. If your a fairly heavy guy, it might just be a combination of the two. But, either way, the forks really shouldnt bottom out, but I would check it all out before I tore it apart.

I understand you being scared. I am still nervous when my wife rides her bike. She started out on an 02 R6 and now rides a zx636. She does really well, but I still have issues when she takes it by herself. My wife dropped her R6 3 times. every time was when she was coming to a stop, the bike just fell over. In fairness, 2 of the times the bike wasnt lowered for her yet as she is only 5'3". Just be sure she is wearing some decent gear in case she tips it over. Gloves, good boots, full length jeans, jacket, helmet. And if you really want her to ride, encourage her a ton. Make sure you tell what she is doing wrong, but also make sure to tell her the things she is doing right.
ok im new to this bike. how do i adjust her suspension? i dont even see anything on the top of the forks or anything.... let me know , please before i take this all apart.

Old 07-13-2009, 10:30 PM

Originally Posted by pacemaker
Makes you realise what our parents went through The forks could be out of oil, but the on the 250's they tend to dive easily & maybe the head bearings could use an adjustment. A heavier weight oil will certainly fix the problem, but don't make them to hard.
I remember trying out a few CBR250's when my nephew was looking for his 1st bike & they certainly put on grin on my face with their handling & "I love to rev" motors.

how do i adjust the head bearings? also i plan on putting in 10 weight instead of the normal 5. let me know please about the head bearing adjustment. maybe i can save some time. also it tends to speed wobble when im over fourty and dont have hands on the bars firmly.

Old 07-14-2009, 04:26 AM

ya know, I guess I'm just not sure if you can adjust the front on those bikes. I was just assuming, sorry, I think I gave some bad info. I did a little net searching and it looks like your only good option is to upgrade to a stiffer spring and heavier weight oil. Keep in mind, if your GF is significantly lighter than you, she will probably be fine with the suspension being soft. The 250 according to the net is extremely soft, which would be great for lighter riders.

Check your tire for uneven wear. Also, check the front rotor to make sure its not warped. Its actually pretty common and when you apply the brake, it will chatter the front end.

as for the wobble, it could again be an unevenly worn tire, or the rear to front tire is not inline. Meaning the rear tire is probably not aligned correctly with the chassis. also check tire pressure.

as for ajusting the head bearing. Im just not sure on that bike. Its basically two bearing that are compressed bewteen two races. there is a center shaft that they both ride on. there should be one large nut, remove that nut and there will be one, or two lock washers. They resemble the spanner nuts on a rear shock. You can just tighten the bearings up until you feel the steering get tight, then back it off slightly so the handle bars are easy to turn, about an 1/8 turn. Of course, your bike may not be anything like this. So sorry if Im wasting your time.

You can sit on the bike, apply the front brake and rock the bike back and forth as hard as you can. If you don't feel and clunking or hear any clucking, the bearings are probably ok, but its still worth looking into.

I know there are a few 250R forums out there, maybe check some of those out. they probably have a tech section that would be very helpful.

Old 07-14-2009, 04:32 AM

Quick Reply: My Babys New Bike!!!