Off Topic A place for you CBR junkies to boldly go off topic. Almost anything goes.

MSF course

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2010, 12:08 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default MSF course

Do I absolutely have to take the msf course before i go and get my class "m" license? i don't have the time to take it right now due to working 6 days a week, but i do plan on taking it when my job decides to let me have vacation... Im from texas and have heard both.

Old 02-24-2010, 12:54 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

In texas you do not have to take it.

Old 02-24-2010, 07:38 AM

Legally? Dunno. I would recommend not riding until you take it if you're a noob like I am. I've never ridden before, and for a weekend of training you walk away with a ton of stuff that you'd never think - and stuff thats already saved my a$$ while on the street.

Old 02-24-2010, 08:13 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It's invaluable. Make time for it, imo.

Old 02-24-2010, 08:15 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I don't know of any state that requires the msf. I know the military is starting to require it. I do know its worth the money to do it. I do know its easier to get your license thru them than at the DMV.

Doing a figure 8 on a sportbike SUCKS if you have no experience and that is a mandatory portion of many states' testing

Old 02-24-2010, 08:16 AM

I don't know of any state that requires the msf. I know the military is starting to require it. I do know its worth the money to do it. I do know its easier to get your license thru them than at the DMV.

Doing a figure 8 on a sportbike SUCKS if you have no experience and that is a mandatory portion of many states' testing

Old 02-24-2010, 09:12 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Eliteedge0788
Do I absolutely have to take the msf course before i go and get my class "m" license? i don't have the time to take it right now due to working 6 days a week, but i do plan on taking it when my job decides to let me have vacation... Im from texas and have heard both.
In Texas, you have to take "an approved motorcycle operator training course". http://www.dmv.org/tx-texas/motorcycle-license.php

Old 02-24-2010, 09:33 AM

Its a very good thing to have plus it saves money on your insurance for taking it. Plus after you finish the course, they give you the DMV waiver so you have your license right away. It can get a little annoying if you already know how to ride but they teach you stuff that can help you in certain situation

Old 02-24-2010, 11:09 AM
Admin Emeritus & MVN

Take the course. You won't regret it.

Old 02-24-2010, 11:14 AM
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

+1 on MSF. Agree w/ comments above. Just take the course when you can. You'll be glad you did. Go into it w/ an open mind to learn & you'll benefit from it.

The insurance discount you get from taking the course(s), is def a plus.

Yes, the military does require the MSF -or- equivalent safety course...some are even offered right on post/base. Some post commanders require a safety vest while on post, like the Icon Milspec vest, but its no longer required service-wide.