Off Topic A place for you CBR junkies to boldly go off topic. Almost anything goes.

Motorcycle Endorsement Laws

Old 02-05-2012, 12:43 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Old 02-05-2012, 12:48 PM

This is the only real thing that I can find.... Ohio State Motorcycle Laws.... this is crazy... It shouldn't be this difficult should it? Where are you politians at? LMAO

Old 02-05-2012, 03:01 PM

No clue about Ohio but here in Indiana as soon as you get your endorsment all 'restrictions' are lifted

Old 02-05-2012, 03:01 PM

My truck has historic tags, which means by law. That It can be driven whenever, Just not suppose to be for everyday use. I had a cop pull me over one night and have it towed because he said it could only be used for driving in car show's and stuff. Which is not the case or how the law Is written. It got threw out of court but still at a loss to me of about 200 bucks due to the tow fee and the wrecker to get it back home ( the cop put on the ticket it couldn't be released unless towed home ).... It was complete B.S. and I was out 200 bucks because a cop didn't know the laws he is suppose to enforce. Worst of all the cop was a Kentucky D.O.T trooper. That's the only laws he is suppose to know!

Old 02-06-2012, 03:41 AM
Party Animal, ROTM June 2014

Too bad you can't take these clowns to court for damages. I know $200 isn't a whole lot, but come on!

As for the original question, I am not sure about Ohio. I know in Utah you used to be able to go to the DMV and get a learners permit without even taking any sort of test. That permit restricted riding to no passengers, day time only, and not on the freeway. You could ride with that permit until you felt you could pass the test and get the normal endorsement. Once you have the endorsement, you have a full license and can ride anywhere it is legal to ride a motorcycle.

From the looks of the link you provided, 4511.53 Operation of bicycles, motorcycles and snowmobiles, it is very clear that an operator who holds a TEMPORARY INSTRUCTION PERMIT may not ride at night or any time headlights are required, with a passenger, or a limited access highway. The only restriction a "novice" rider has is the requirement to wear a helmet.

Bottom line... wear a helmet and print a copy of the Ohio code. If you get stopped and the cop thinks you are in violation, don't argue. Politely ask him or her to explain the code to you so you won't be in violation again (even if you don't think you are in violation now). Arguing with the cop is rarely a good idea. I used this very technique when I lived in Japan (I am in the military) and the military cops tried to give me a ticket for moving my license plate so my intercooler wasn't blocked. The rules said it must be permanently attached to the front of the car, nothing more. Well, they gave me a ticket anyway but I fought it and won.

Old 02-06-2012, 06:44 AM

Originally Posted by vfrman
may not ride at night or any time headlights are required
with that youre saying you cant ride at all?
headlights are required any time youre on the road.

Old 02-06-2012, 07:31 AM

There is no confusion as to what a rider with temps can do, but the confusion is that when a person gets the endorsements. I have heard that the first year of having your endorsement, you have to follow the same laws as a temporary permit rider, but I can't find proof of this nor proof that's is wrong. The law should clearly state what it intends by clear definition.

Old 02-06-2012, 07:38 AM

Originally Posted by sjona2011
with that youre saying you cant ride at all?
headlights are required any time youre on the road.
Headlights for autos, not motorcycles. Re-reading my post I see how that didn't make any sense!

Old 02-06-2012, 07:41 AM

Originally Posted by trendsettas
There is no confusion as to what a rider with temps can do, but the confusion is that when a person gets the endorsements. I have heard that the first year of having your endorsement, you have to follow the same laws as a temporary permit rider, but I can't find proof of this nor proof that's is wrong. The law should clearly state what it intends by clear definition.
If there is no proof of the requirement, than it does not exist. How can you find proof to the contrary? That is like proving a negative. It isn't possible.

It also doesn't pass the common sense test. If the requirements for both the same, then why have both? There HAS to be a difference.

Old 02-07-2012, 08:08 AM

I totally agree! However, people are being stopped and messed with because they think that they are with in the requirements of the law. There has to be something that clearly defines this!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Motorcycle Endorsement Laws