Off Topic A place for you CBR junkies to boldly go off topic. Almost anything goes.

Motorcycle Commuters?

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2011, 11:45 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by jp_greenville13
God I love that bike. Lol
Well thank you good sir. I'm currently trying to find some OEM mirrors that dont rattle when i put them on. Although the no mirror look is kinda growing on me.

After that a FE and im DONE!!!!!! (atleast till i find some grips, seat cowl, windscreen, a better tank pad and maybe a few LEDs)

Old 01-11-2011, 12:10 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by CBRfenatic93
Well thank you good sir. I'm currently trying to find some OEM mirrors that dont rattle when i put them on. Although the no mirror look is kinda growing on me.

After that a FE and im DONE!!!!!! (atleast till i find some grips, seat cowl, windscreen, a better tank pad and maybe a few LEDs)
You could take that bike in so many different directions and as long as you don't mess with the factory graphics that bike will always be sex on wheels.

Old 01-11-2011, 12:22 AM

Originally Posted by backyardmechanic
I am a die hard motorcycle commuter and will ride in whatever weather,I mean whatever to go to school/work. People call me stupid and I get all kinds of looks from people in cages as i pass them in the pouring rain for being a bike only guy but i take it as compliments. Those who have never ridden a motorcycle and felt the freedom and joy of riding dont have a place to judge, do they? Am i really that crazy for being a bike only guy who loves riding and doesn't care abut the weather?
just had a ride as the snow was falling. met another biker and we stopped at a parking lot and chatted. we are out there so keep on trooping

Old 01-11-2011, 12:24 AM

Originally Posted by CBRfenatic93
I agree that its location that makes a difference. Just today i rode in below freezing temps that become freezing fog. Its been 30 degrees the past 2 days and we had a good frozen precip that entire day before but that wont stop me from riding into work.

But everyday i ride to work and people are like your effin insane or why dont you get a car!(which to i sometimes reply if they are the right person why dont you just grow a set). My wife has the car and i hate being in a cage so thats why i ride.

I have to agree with pacemaker that riding in all types of weather makes you a better rider.

Here is the picture i took today.

Only crappy thing is that there are maybe 2-3 weeks of perfect riding so people year round look at bikers like were nuts. If its not freezing cold its 100 degrees in 99% humidity.

Be safe out there man.
hmmm i want that bike

Old 01-11-2011, 12:50 AM

your not riding for a couple months where i live unless you have studs... but the rest of the year i ride rain or shine. within certain limitations of course. i remember getting caught in monsoon-ish downpour once i will not attempt to do that again. you cant see and every time a car passes you get drenched, YET watching the new tire treads of your buddy in front of you shoot water 10' up in the air...now that is cool

Old 01-11-2011, 02:35 AM
Senior Member & tensioner mod inventor ROTM WINNER FEB 2013

I ride pretty much every day except when there's snow on the ground or heavy ice first thing in the morning. At the moment I've got a lovely cross country commute through the country lanes of Kent. It makes such a lovely change from just hitting the motorway and gunning it. I do just short of 100 miles a day round trip. Makes it worth having a big four.
The roads, since the snow disappeared are absolutely terrible. Sand all over the place and always the chance of black ice not to mention a generally slippery surface. The roads are constantly wet. I try to avoid riding in the dark but sometimes it has to be done.
Speeds are way way down. It's all to easy to have the front wheel slip out from under you on even the most gentle cornering. When that happens you really know what your chocolate star fish is for.
The up side of taking it so easy, compared to fair weather riding is that your fuel consumption drops dramatically. Not a bad thing, especially in the UK where the prices are pushing £1.30 a litre since the VAT increase. ($7.65 US Gallon). I've been fining lately that I"m not switching to reserve until about 180 miles from the tank as opposed to anything between 130 to 145 motorway riding.
I do drive the car sometimes, there's reason to do so but given the choice I always go for the bike. It's a no brainer. As everyone else says, get the right gear and it doesn't matter if it's pouring with rain or cold, you still have the chance to enjoy being on two wheels making a journey interesting instead of drudgery.
Roll on spring.....

Old 01-11-2011, 06:07 AM

If it works for you good for you - glad you get to ride so much.

Personally - I don't like riding in the rain so I just don't do it.

Also - some of it depends on where you work, etc. I would be hard pressed to ride in the rain to work then get changed into a shirt and tie, etc.... It just wouldn't be enjoyable at all to deal with so I just hop in the car!!!

Old 01-11-2011, 07:10 AM
Senior Member & Lord of The Man Cave

Originally Posted by backyardmechanic
I Am i really that crazy for being a bike only guy who loves riding and doesn't care abut the weather?
Probably not the only one but a very select few.

I used to ride in all kinds of weather. I did it mainly because the car I had at the time got around 13 mpg. The 65 mpg I got on my single cylinder 500cc enduro saved me a lot of money on gas. It didn't matter to me how cold it was. On really cold days I'd wear a scuba diving wetsuit underneath my regular clothing. One day I rode to work when the actual temp (not wind chill) was 2F degrees BELOW zero. I had a favorite saying to one of my Kawasaki co-workers, who wouldn't ride if the temp was less than 50F, "Where's that motorcycle at???"

Those were my single and wilder days. Now when the weather is bad or cold I think about my climate-controlled car with the heated seats or the fact that it is a vehicle with windshield wipers. The motorcycle sits in the garage on those days. I have nothing to prove to anyone.

Old 01-11-2011, 09:06 AM

I will ride in all types of weather. For many years my only transportation was a motorcycle. My husband thinks I'm crazy for riding in "bad weather" and doesn't like it when I do. The good thing is I live in Texas and snow doesn't happen often. This morning it was 24 when I left the house, I drove the truck instead of my bike only because I am having a really good hair day and I didn't want my helmet to mess it up.

Old 01-11-2011, 12:01 PM

Originally Posted by little girl
i drove the truck instead of my bike only because i am having a really good hair day and i didn't want my helmet to mess it up.

lol!

Quick Reply: Motorcycle Commuters?