Off Topic A place for you CBR junkies to boldly go off topic. Almost anything goes.

Motorcycle Commuters?

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2011, 04:38 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Motorcycle Commuters?

I am a die hard motorcycle commuter and will ride in whatever weather,I mean whatever to go to school/work. People call me stupid and I get all kinds of looks from people in cages as i pass them in the pouring rain for being a bike only guy but i take it as compliments. Those who have never ridden a motorcycle and felt the freedom and joy of riding dont have a place to judge, do they? Am i really that crazy for being a bike only guy who loves riding and doesn't care abut the weather?

Old 01-10-2011, 04:50 PM

I'll admit, snow and ice kinda scare the **** out of me. rain isn't so bad though if you have good tires and decent wet wear.

Old 01-10-2011, 05:00 PM

Not in North Carolina no, but here in Wisconsin you would be, it's all about location location location.

Old 01-10-2011, 05:03 PM

Originally Posted by dyracuse
Not in North Carolina no, but here in Wisconsin you would be, it's all about location location location.
hahaha damn straight

Old 01-10-2011, 05:07 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I did a 160 klm (100 ml) round trip daily commute for 9 years in all types of weather. Way better than being crammed in on a commuter train or bored sh*tless in a car. I wasn't the only stupid bastard on a bike either. Sure I would get drivers looking at me like I was crazy or the "Poor Bastard" look when it was raining down or freezing cold (or both). Took me a while to get used to it, knowing where the gravel would form on washed out roads, which lane to be in if it stormed & spending money on the right gear.
On a beautiful day though, I'd get looks that were pure envy. Using your bike in all sorts of weather makes you a better rider I think.

Old 01-10-2011, 05:21 PM

On a beautiful day though, I'd get looks that were pure envy.[/QUOTE]

I love to see those looks

Old 01-10-2011, 05:44 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Philly gets too stupid come winter to risk it. All the half-assed pothole repair jobs they did during the year disintegrate, turning into jagged craters and channels. Water mains burst so the water department have to do emergency road work, which they cover with smooth steel plates.

And then when snow is forecast, they overcoat the streets with this salt / water / sand slurry that takes a solid rain and above freezing temps for a week to wash away.

Don't mind the rain if I get caught in it on the way home from work. But winter is suicidal imo

Old 01-10-2011, 08:27 PM

It really is about location. We don't get much snow here in North Florida, or freezing rain either. I still get those looks and the occasional "You gotta be crazy" comments when the temps are in the mid 20's, like they were here week before last. Those looks and comments come from people who will likely never experience that feeling of being "in the wind", as they say.
It reminds me of a song from my earlier days that said "If loving you is wrong, I don't want to be right." Well, if riding year 'round means I'm crazy, I don't want to be sane.

Old 01-10-2011, 10:12 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I agree that its location that makes a difference. Just today i rode in below freezing temps that become freezing fog. Its been 30 degrees the past 2 days and we had a good frozen precip that entire day before but that wont stop me from riding into work.

But everyday i ride to work and people are like your effin insane or why dont you get a car!(which to i sometimes reply if they are the right person why dont you just grow a set). My wife has the car and i hate being in a cage so thats why i ride.

I have to agree with pacemaker that riding in all types of weather makes you a better rider.

Here is the picture i took today.

Only crappy thing is that there are maybe 2-3 weeks of perfect riding so people year round look at bikers like were nuts. If its not freezing cold its 100 degrees in 99% humidity.

Be safe out there man.

Old 01-10-2011, 10:55 PM

Originally Posted by CBRfenatic93
I agree that its location that makes a difference. Just today i rode in below freezing temps that become freezing fog. Its been 30 degrees the past 2 days and we had a good frozen precip that entire day before but that wont stop me from riding into work.

But everyday i ride to work and people are like your effin insane or why dont you get a car!(which to i sometimes reply if they are the right person why dont you just grow a set). My wife has the car and i hate being in a cage so thats why i ride.

I have to agree with pacemaker that riding in all types of weather makes you a better rider.

Here is the picture i took today.

Only crappy thing is that there are maybe 2-3 weeks of perfect riding so people year round look at bikers like were nuts. If its not freezing cold its 100 degrees in 99% humidity.

Be safe out there man.
God I love that bike. Lol

Quick Reply: Motorcycle Commuters?