Off Topic A place for you CBR junkies to boldly go off topic. Almost anything goes.

Moto Road Test ...??

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-2009, 12:38 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Moto Road Test ...??

He everyone, im getting my TIP permit really soon, but i dont have any other friends close by that can ride with me. And i still have to go to work, which would require me to drive home at night. My question is How hard is the motorcycle road test? what do they have you do? how long do they last? and if i didnt get one how much trouble would i get in if i got pulled over with only my permit on my way home from work? any two cents would be great. Im Located In Michigan. CYA..

Old 05-20-2009, 01:45 AM

In ND, a person can get a motorcycle permit 2 times (valid for 6 months each time) before they have to get a license. The only difference is a permitted driver cannot drive at night and cannot carry a passenger. To get your license you must either pass a road test or complete a 12 hour motorcycle safety course.

I have since done the MSC but did the road test first. I had to have a licensed and insured bike that would pass inspection and do a 20-minute or so test. It included smooth take-offs and stops, a cone weeve, and right and left turns. I had a friend who had passed it before and he did a couple "practice" rounds with me. If you have someone in your area who has done it before it may be your best resource.

UTTER05 is a MI guy and can probably give you a heads up on the info you need in your state. Send him a PM and he will help you out. He's a great guy.

Old 05-20-2009, 09:56 AM

THanks Alot will do .

Old 05-20-2009, 10:44 AM

This is only what I've heard since personally I haven't taken the road test but I have been riding for 3 years around Ann Arbor, MI. I don't even have a renewed TIP, just ride with nothing (not smart, but I'm poor). My buddy took it and said that it's really easy, if you know how to ride your bike you'll do fine. I've talked to a couple places that offer the road test, $35, and though they do check that you ahve the TIP and Insurance on your bike they don't make a big deal if you ride it to the test alone, since you are only supposed to ride with another person. I also have rode around at all hours, the only way the officer knows wether you have the TIP or full license is to pull you over of course, so just don't go too fast and make zig-zag passes on the highway, bassically just ride smart and you'll be fine. If you do get pulled over though chances are there is a big fine and they won't let you ride your bike home after that either. Possibly could be impounded, not sure how far they would go with that one. Good luck!

Old 05-20-2009, 01:52 PM
Thumbs up

THanks Alot, i dont plan on riding without the TIP but i might have to ride without a partner ya know? so i will take your advice and drive smart. Thanks Everyone for the info. TTYl