Off Topic A place for you CBR junkies to boldly go off topic. Almost anything goes.
View Poll Results: What would be most effective?
Mandatory gear (at least helmet, jacket / armored vest and gloves)
22.64%
Required (and govt sponsored) MSF Basic Rider Course for new license
54.72%
Engine size restriction for new license
16.98%
Tougher penalties for unsafe riding (loss of license, bike impoundment)
9.43%
Darwin's law... No govt intervention
28.30%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 53. You may not vote on this poll

Most effective national (US) safety measure?

Search this Thread

Old 11-28-2009, 04:47 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I included Darwin cause some people will rebel simply because they can. If the govt says "No", they'll fight to make it say "Yes" for no other reason but to fight.

But cycle insurance rates suck because rather than squish his tentacles under a lid, Mr. Squiddy splatters his noggin all over the asphalt. And the insurance companies use the resulting calamari as justification to make more money.

I voted for tougher laws for a similar reason. People get pissed at ALL motorcycle riders when someone filters next to them on 1 wheel at 65 mph in a 30 mph zone. And when that pissed person happens to be someone that creates / interprets / enforces the law, they stack the deck against even the sensible riders. Look at accident investigations involving motorcycles. If the bike leaves a skid mark, most times it's automatically assumed the rider was speeding. Not because analysis of the length or density of the mark proves it.

But because we all speed, just like that twip that blew past them 3 months ago at 130 mph.

Old 11-28-2009, 05:53 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i voted darwins law i wish helmet laws would go away my life my head my choice end of story

Old 11-28-2009, 08:35 PM

Gear. Helmets save lives.

Attached Thumbnails Most effective national (US) safety measure?-crash-damage-001.jpg  
Old 11-29-2009, 03:02 AM
Official Welcome Crew Redneck

i dont feel a helmet law would do any good. people will ignore it just for the self gratification of "fighting the man". i personally will not throw a leg over any machine without one. but thats me.

I think the best thing would be to make an msf course mandatory. at least then any semi-competent person should have at the very least a good baseline on riding. the rest is up to the personal preference of the rider no matter what the rest of us think is nessecary or not.

Stricter penalties would also do some good as well. Ive seen several posts on here about poeple in different areas of the map getting pulled over for a stupid stunt (be it speeding, wheelies or whatever) bet the next time he/she will think twice about doing said offense. money is a wonderful motivator. when that wheelie has the potential to cost a few bucks or even loss of your licence, maybe poeple will stop to think about it.

at the same time i think there needs to be more avenues for people to practice their passion in a safe controled environment like a "stunt park", or encouragement to take it to the track. possibly keep em from doing it on public streets. there was a problem with kids getting hurt on their skate boards and bicycles because they had no place to go. somebody donated the land and funds to build a skate park conviently located next to a firehouse and the kids were able to practice their passion where traffic wasnt an issue. the rate at which kids were getting hurt went down a considerable amount. Just saying it would be worth a shot.

there's my 2 cents, get off my soapbox now.

-sparks-

Old 11-29-2009, 09:20 AM
Senior Member & 2010 ROTY
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Thumbs up Darwin

Too bad there wasn't alittle bit of each with common sence.

I do think that you need to go thru a MSF when getting your liences. I do believe that you ought to wear a helmet. Fine = safety, I've never seen it work. Fines = money for the city/state.

But I am in my 40's and back when I started out you didn't need to get any of that stuff. Now I have gone thru the MSF (had to I was Military). Now as a civilian I ride with the gear on. Here in Indiana, we do not have a helemet law.

There are people that ride with/out a helmet, last year our motorcycle accident deaths went down, Accidents with car and motorcycles went up. I do believe that there is alot of distractions for the cage drivers. Just my $.02

Old 11-29-2009, 09:31 AM

Over in Europe they take pride in their driving and riding. Much more so than here.

I voted mandatory MSF class when getting a license. Oh and riding without a class M license should be a $500-$1,000 fine.

Old 11-29-2009, 09:37 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I voted for the mandatory safety instruction. But that only works for people who bother to get their MC license. Around here, it's possible to buy, insure, and register a bike without having your MC endorsement. I've been told by police officers that in some areas, fewer than 50% of people riding around actually have a license.

Old 11-29-2009, 09:37 AM

Originally Posted by Indiana Hurricane
But I am in my 40's and back when I started out you didn't need to get any of that stuff. Now I have gone thru the MSF (had to I was Military). Now as a civilian I ride with the gear on. Here in Indiana, we do not have a helemet law.
I've heard of the MSF Military Sportbike course. Wish it was offered to civvies. I'm going to sign up for the 1st BRC in 2010. Not cause I need it but because I want to see how much I improved.

Old 11-29-2009, 10:07 AM
Administrator, MVN / ROTM NOV 2012

MSF is a good start..............after that Darwin gets the usual 5% of the nimrods.

The rest of the options do not need the usual inefficient government intervention !

Old 11-29-2009, 11:36 AM

I voted for education. The single biggest thing that could make a difference. I would like to see it carried further and make mandatory training for "any" person that is seaking a license to operate "any" vehicle to take some sort of "learning to watch for motorcycles" test.

I wouldn't suggest the false sense of security of helmets as being required. I always wear mine, and always will. But I did a research paper on helmets awhile back for an essay I had to write. All I can say is its really scary looking at the data how little helmets actually protect. I use to look at the person not wearing a helmet and think "what a nut". But not anymore.

Last edited by justasquid; 11-29-2009 at 11:38 AM.

Quick Reply: Most effective national (US) safety measure?