Off Topic A place for you CBR junkies to boldly go off topic. Almost anything goes.
View Poll Results: What would be most effective?
Mandatory gear (at least helmet, jacket / armored vest and gloves)
22.64%
Required (and govt sponsored) MSF Basic Rider Course for new license
54.72%
Engine size restriction for new license
16.98%
Tougher penalties for unsafe riding (loss of license, bike impoundment)
9.43%
Darwin's law... No govt intervention
28.30%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 53. You may not vote on this poll

Most effective national (US) safety measure?

Old 11-27-2009, 11:06 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Most effective national (US) safety measure?

People were discussing a national helmet law on another forum. People that rode AGATT obviously didn't care as it wouldn't affect them. Squids squealed about helmet hair. And one person questioned what good it'd do.

So what do you think would be the most effective safety measure that could be enacted nation-wide here in the US?

Old 11-27-2009, 11:28 PM
November 2009 ROTM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by kuroshio
people were discussing a national helmet law on another forum. People that rode agatt obviously didn't care as it wouldn't affect them. squids squealed about helmet hair. and one person questioned what good it'd do.

So what do you think would be the most effective safety measure that could be enacted nation-wide here in the us?
*****!!!

Old 11-27-2009, 11:38 PM

i wouldnt vote for unsafe riding because in all honesty, we are on sportbikes... we have done some dumb **** at one point or another

Old 11-28-2009, 01:01 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I voted Darwin's law.. but if I did have to actually pick something, I guess I'd go with the MSF course. I took it. It seemed helpful at the time, although I didn't purchase my bike until the following season. There is no substitute for real world experience and some miles under your belt though.

I would hate to see a nation-wide helmet law pass. I don't know if I would ride anymore, which is a shame because it's one of my favorite things. Riding is so liberating, makes me feel like I can fly. I don't even own a helmet and haven't worn one outside of the MSF course. My bf begged me to wear one when I first bought my bike, but I refused.

As far as tougher laws on motorcycle safety.. how about it's way too easy to get a drivers license these days!! I think they should put people in simulators and test their reaction time and such.. This would get a lot of elderly people off the road. Also, all these snot nosed kids don't need to be driving around a such an early age, they insist on children having cell phones.. so they can use them to call a ride. And people don't need to be on their cellulars.. There are too many 4-wheeled vehicles on the road.

It's hard to make a call about limited engine size for new endorsements.. what if a teen has been riding offroad since a very early age and they know how to respect a motorcycle.. I don't think they should be limited if riding is their passion. And I almost feel like starting on a sport bike 250cc or so is unsafe cause you might be so inclined to rag on it the same way you would the 250, not expecting it to move. I dunno.. I think a 600 is an ideal size for a first bike. Just gotta take it easy for the first little bit. However, my bf started on a zx9 (which is now turbo-ed).

Old 11-28-2009, 09:30 AM

Most effective? Mandatory gear and MSF course Which would i choose? Probably MSF and Darwin lol Can we get a "leave the bikers alone and go after the text ****** and the idiots stuffing their face with a big mac" law? Gear is a personal preference I wear gear all the time planning for the unknown (at least helmet,jacket,gloves) but if someone prefers not to wear gear I don't think you should force them...Hell they made a law no drinking and driving people still do that?....I think the a gear law could be just another dumb way for the gov't to feel in control as always...

Old 11-28-2009, 02:06 PM

I would have to say the MSF course. All the safety gear in the world cant help someone who doesnt know how to ride. even people who know how to ride can benefit from a refresher course.

Old 11-28-2009, 02:43 PM
Super Moderator and Official Welcome Crew Yeti
Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

i'd say education is always the best safety equipment.

Old 11-28-2009, 02:49 PM
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Make MSF requirement for motorcycle licensing.
Make helmet wear a law like seat belts.

Old 11-28-2009, 03:17 PM

Darwins law ftw!

Old 11-28-2009, 04:41 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Everyone that thinks helmets are so great can put one on and stfu. Leave me alone. I don't need any laws to protect me from myself.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Most effective national (US) safety measure?