Off Topic A place for you CBR junkies to boldly go off topic. Almost anything goes.

Mortgage question

Old 11-10-2008, 11:05 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Mortgage question

Ok well I have a brief finacial question I was wondering if someone could answer. Long story short...

My ex-girlfriend and I bought a home a year ago. At that time we were together. I fought for a week plus with her to be the only name on the mortgage. Well to shut her stupid trap I gave up and shes a co-borrower. I think it was in August she had enough and basically up and left, and left me with all all the bills. Ive been living alone now since then, and things are tight as you can imagine.

So my question is... Can she still be held responsible for part of the mortgage because shes a "co-borrower"? Id hate to go down this road, but she ****ed me and I refuse to throw my credit down the drain.

Old 11-10-2008, 11:30 AM
Default RE: Mortgage question

I don't blame you for considering this. I would too, if in your situation. But I think the only real solution is to man-up and leave her alone. Call her, and see if you can have her name taken off the mortgage, and get a roommate (or two) if you can, to offset the cost of the bills. It would obviously be hard to sell the place, and probably not worth it, so do whatever you can to hold on to it for now.

Old 11-10-2008, 11:50 AM

ORIGINAL: madgreek

I don't blame you for considering this. I would too, if in your situation. But I think the only real solution is to man-up and leave her alone. Call her, and see if you can have her name taken off the mortgage, and get a roommate (or two) if you can, to offset the cost of the bills. It would obviously be hard to sell the place, and probably not worth it, so do whatever you can to hold on to it for now.
I have manned up, and I havent bugged her once. Ive done ALL the leg work to try and get her off the mortgage but there is NO way possible. Ive tried the roommate route, and im trying again. Had one last month, I came home after being gone for the weekend and she was all moved out. She lasted two weeks, probably for the better since the bitch stole from me. Selling the place isnt an option, I wouldnt get what I owe and Ill be damned if Im going to pay for a place I dont live in.

Ive offered her to move in but shes now in a year lease and didnt want anything to do with it. I dont think it has sunk in, if I go down she goes down equally. She helped make the bed and I guess she'll have to sleep in it too.

Old 11-10-2008, 12:05 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

She's pretty much stuck. You go down, they will go after her too. Her credit is just as screwed as yours if you go to bankruptcy.

Old 11-10-2008, 12:56 PM

I watch a lot of Judge Judy. (haha) and Im pretty sure you wouldnt have to wait for something to *bad* to happen before you could go after her. You guys are in a verbal contract and you have her name on the mortgage to back that up. If her name is on there she is liable. I think they only way she can get out is if she goes down to the Bank and ask to have her name taken off herself, which they may not even let her? They may make you open a new loan or something. Im not the greatest help.. never had a mortgage of my own..

I would concider just calling a few attorneys in your area. they will usually give 5-10mins of their time. Call 5-6 of them and get different opinions. You know what they say, squeeky wheel gets the grease.

Old 11-10-2008, 01:14 PM

The flip side is you pay it off and her name is still on it. Lose lose situation. Sell it and walk away. Or refinance it in only your name. That lost argument is going to cost you thousands to undo what it took the stroke of a pen to do. Bummer dude.

Old 11-10-2008, 01:40 PM

ORIGINAL: ebinz88cane

I watch a lot of Judge Judy. (haha) and Im pretty sure you wouldnt have to wait for something to *bad* to happen before you could go after her. You guys are in a verbal contract and you have her name on the mortgage to back that up. If her name is on there she is liable. I think they only way she can get out is if she goes down to the Bank and ask to have her name taken off herself, which they may not even let her? They may make you open a new loan or something. Im not the greatest help.. never had a mortgage of my own..

I would concider just calling a few attorneys in your area. they will usually give 5-10mins of their time. Call 5-6 of them and get different opinions. You know what they say, squeeky wheel gets the grease.
It's nice to see an expert opinion-lol.

Old 11-10-2008, 01:42 PM

hahah Judy is the ****! btw I charge $49.99 a post for these expert opinions. where do I send a bill...

EDIT: someone has to pay the DirectTV bill... without it, no Judge Judy... no good advise..

Old 11-10-2008, 02:41 PM

ORIGINAL: ebinz88cane

hahah Judy is the ****! btw I charge $49.99 a post for these expert opinions. where do I send a bill...

EDIT: someone has to pay the DirectTV bill... without it, no Judge Judy... no good advise..
Dude you're a mess! lol

Ya I think the best thing you can do is to sell even if you take a hit. You can foreclose and jack up your credit, or somehow pay it off then she is going to want half if you do sell in the future. Its a tuff call but I think I would sell. Best of luck man

Old 11-10-2008, 02:48 PM

Oh. Talk to the mortgage company and explain your situation. They may have a solution. Never know...

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Mortgage question