Off Topic A place for you CBR junkies to boldly go off topic. Almost anything goes.

Modding my 1000RR headlight

Search this Thread

Old 10-28-2008, 02:23 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Modding my 1000RR headlight

Well, I took the plunge and purchased a set of projector HID Bi-xenon headlights from ebay. It set me back 250 bucks. But it came with 2 headlights, 2 bulbs, 2 igniters, 2 ballists... basically everything I need for a conversion.

There are a few nice things about these particular headlights. They are fully cast so not as much heat gets dispersed through them. they have a rather small 2.5 inch dia projector, the overall size is pretty small and the igniter is also the bulb holder. each light only draws 35 watts of power, so I will only be at 70 watts total instead of the 110 watt draw I was at before. There is an initial spike during start up, but it is only a few seconds.

These are also bi-xenon. Meaning they have both low beam and high beam. So, my bike will now have two low beams and two high beams. A small servo operates a flapper inside of the headlight to expose more light creating the high beam. i have pictures below of this. Basically, they are high beam projectors with a cut off creating the low beam.

These are my mods so far. I have one side done. I am having some issues with making a shield to cover up the surroundings of the projector. I have made one from sheet aluminum and painted it black. Its about the only thing I can think of that will work as the projector housing is not round, it is very odd shaped with different shapes coming from it.

My initial test so far. I hooked up on light and parked my bike next to the projector. I fired up the projector...( holy crap bright). I then started my bike with the high beam on. I couldnt even tell it was on. It made no difference in the beam. thats how bright these things are. They came from an 04 cadillac XLR. If they are good enough for a 80,000 dollar car, they should be good enough for me..lol I took some pictures but my camera sucks and didnt show the actual difference.

here are a few pics of the project so far. Dont flame me too much for the crappy looking cover, this is only a prelim run to see how things fit.

I took the projector glass off to show the high beam flapper inside the light.

low beam,

high beam,

on the bike without a cover around the projector and no fairing. just testing for alignment purpose.

fairing and headlight lens sitting on but not installed. the gray caulk is the factory stuff, the lens isnt fully seated, once it is, the caulk wont be visible.

one more front shot same thing,

thats it for now.

Old 10-28-2008, 02:28 AM
Default RE: Modding my 1000RR headlight

Looks good so far man!!! if you run into problems might want to talk to Blue Fox, hes pretty handy with these kinda mods, did them to his own ride but so far id say looks great man, keep up the good work!

Old 10-28-2008, 02:32 AM

thanks. The only problem I see so far is the projector cable is pretty short and I dont know if I can purchase an extension or possibly cut the existing one. I"m not cutting anything until I know for sure though. It looks like I might beable to mount the ballist under the headlight, but I would rather mount the ballist somewhere out of the weather.

Old 10-28-2008, 02:44 AM
Retired Moderator
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

^^ DO NOT cut the wires if they have anything to do with the HID's. Those are all high-voltage silicone wires that cannot be spliced or extended. You are going to have to find a way to mount them up front (I think you guys have a sort of "tray" area right underneath the headlamps that you can shove the ballast into, and maybe the other one between the front fairing stay.

As far as the projector's, good luck. That was one project that sucked for me. With the 1000RR's, you guys have clearance to do the projectors, but the 07/08 600RR's have a very shallow headlamp and NO room to spare behind it (unlike the 1000RR and older 600RR's). So my project pretty much failed big time. But you look like you are doing it right.

Just be sure to mount that projector onto the housing as securely and solid as possible. I thought i did, and during the test ride, it jittered around so much that it was just pointless.......so I reverted everything back to stock.

Good luck though man, let us know how it turns out.

Old 10-28-2008, 02:56 AM

thanks for the reply. I was kind of sceptical about being able to cut them. Do you know if anyone makes an extension cord for them or if one can even be made?

It looks like there will be room to mount them under the headlight so thats what I plan on doing. but I would rather mount them somewhere else. but if thats my option, thats what I'll do.

I have 3 screw adjustablemounting points on the lights, the same as the stock, so I think I'll be ok. I am also planning on installing a small soft rubber pad (flexible) between the bottom of the headlight the inner housing to act as a support just incase the mounts are not strong enough. It should help keep the projector from bouncing around.

This is by far a much more complicated project than I first thought. I have already done things that if I knew better, I would do different. If it all works out. I'll do a write up on what not to do....lol.

Old 10-28-2008, 10:26 AM
Registered Users

hey can you post the dimensions on those bi-xenons....by-god i am going to shove bi-xenons into my f4i if it kills me, it's going to be my winter project...i also fully intend on making fiberglass housings for the back and everything....but i am struggling finding a pair of bi-xenons that will fit....

so if you could take some pics, front, back, side and dimensions of the lights it would be greatly appreciated, then at least i can start taking some measurements!

awesome job thus far!! A+

Old 10-28-2008, 02:18 PM

Keep up the good work man. I have to install mine on my F2 this winter.

Old 10-28-2008, 07:45 PM

Here are some pics with the measurements. putting them in an F4i would be a ton easier I would imagine. I trimmed almost all of the black housing off except for the area holding on the servo for the high beam. I'll post some pics later if I do a write up.

But basically, they are 6 inch long by 6 inch wide by 3.750 high. the lens is 2.5 inches.

Old 10-30-2008, 11:46 AM

I would love to see pics of them on the bike all ready finished...

Old 10-30-2008, 12:00 PM
Registered Users

hmmmm...those MIGHT work...which lights are those..model and whatnot so i can start watching on ebay