Off Topic A place for you CBR junkies to boldly go off topic. Almost anything goes.

Military Sportbike Riders course

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-2008, 02:36 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Military Sportbike Riders course

they dont want ya`ll getting killed before they have a chance to send you to iraq.

Old 06-27-2008, 04:17 PM
Registered Users

Had to take the course a couple years back even though I already had my M1. The program used to be loosely enforced until a spate of mc accidents involving troops started to rise. Common factor was inexeperience in panic situations (target fixation, over/under braking, etc.). Even the experienced riders had to take the basic course all over again.

I've taken the basic and experienced courses several times and I always manage to learn something new. If you go in with a brick wall ("I've been riding for xxx years, so they can't teach me anything") then you'll get nothing out of it. Go in as if it's your first time every time and you'll learn something.

Good luck.

Old 06-27-2008, 05:46 PM

I agree with shocktroop. You should only have to take it once. In the AF that's all that's required and I'm happy for that. You shouldn't have to take another course because you're on a sportbike. Bad rep strikes again.

Old 06-27-2008, 06:16 PM

i took the expericed riders corse sence i am in the usmc. and even though i had 4 years rideing experice ( 6 years now ) i still learned on alot it is good for a refreshers course and sence if you are in the military its free. hell i just signed up for the superbiek school and it is free for me to i love being the in militart sometimes.

Old 06-27-2008, 07:40 PM

the main problem with military riders is that alot of them think that they are invincible and can do anything.i know Marines that have 0 riding experince and go out and buy brand new liter bikes and ride way beyond their riding abilities..over confidince is the problem. mandatory training is a god send for a lot of theses riders..

Old 06-27-2008, 08:45 PM

ORIGINAL: Mooseknuckle

I agree with shocktroop. You should only have to take it once. In the AF that's all that's required and I'm happy for that. You shouldn't have to take another course because you're on a sportbike. Bad rep strikes again.
Not true about the Air Force. If you havent read the reg lately it has changed. It is mandatory to take a BRC before you ride on or off base, than you must take the ERC within 3 years of the BRC and every 3 years there after. Where are you stationed? Mooseknuckle makes me think your in Alaska with me, am I wrong?

Old 06-27-2008, 09:20 PM

Good afternoon all, well I can see there has been some discussion on this today. I just got throught with the new course. First all it is a MSF course. It is now mandated for the Navy, which means the Marines will be falling in step soon. The Army and Air Force are also reviewing the program for inclusion in to the respective base programs. It is still very new and there are still areas that are not teaching this course yet. It was a 8 course demonstration. It was a somewhat useful course for those that are still new to sportbikes. I say it is more of a way for the military to say "we provided training" more so than anything else. I unfortuneately have no pictures, not enough time between rides. there was a Navy photographer there, so if some are posted I will pull them off and insert. All in all, I can certainly see the purpose for this new course, but feel like so many others, like whats next for the laundry list of hurdles I have to jump over, just to be able to ride what I want to and from work...thanks for everyones comments so far. I look forward to hearing more.

Cletus

Old 06-27-2008, 09:46 PM
Friend and Hero ...

ORIGINAL: Cletus

Hardcorp,
I am not familiar with meanstrk. This new course is a result of the past few years mortality rate among our Sailors and Marines. According to the Navy safety center, this course was asked for by riders throughout the Department of the Navy, and I know for here on Oahu, it is going to boil over to all services. There is not a lot of information available anywhere, as it is so new. I remember some years back MSF trying this sort of thing out, but due to liability and instructor quality they sort of went away from the concept. Tomorrow when I get through I will report my findings as well as any pics I can get. If they are cool with it, I will have my camecorder mounted and provide video. I am not sure that will fly since we are the guinea pig class, but I dont care, they can always tell me to turn it off. As for the different concentration areas, There should be up and starting pilot courses of this and the requirements soon.

About the statistical facts of fallen military personnel from motorcycle accidents. This was first discussed around here by
CBR1000RRMARINE he posted a piece about fallen riders and He also posted a piece about the first big crackdown at Camp Pendleton shortly before a sad twist of irony. He was killed while riding a 11 yrs in the Marine Corps and a combat veteran there is also a thread that went way a off-track almost leading to a true confrontation between myself and a former member that was started to discussed in great length those individuals returning from the sandbox with a hefty bankroll and heading straight into the dealership to purchasing something way beyond what they need to start with

CBR1000RRMARINE discuss the loss of fellow riders
https://cbrforum.com/m_311072/mpage_2/key_/tm.htm

The thread concerning military personnel, and hi performance bikes the one that started me down the road to a point where myself and someone who is no longer with us. Almost ended up in a physical confrontation and Also the thread that put me in front of the big desk for the first time here
https://cbrforum.com/m_400323/mpage_1/key_/tm.htm

Old 06-28-2008, 02:14 AM
Retired Moderator

Godbless our brother CBR100RRMARINE...he is kicking butt in Heaven right now! I wonder, do you guys have to pay for the courses out of pocket, or does the military pay for the course?

Old 06-28-2008, 09:15 AM

ORIGINAL: flashman

ORIGINAL: Mooseknuckle

Not true about the Air Force. If you havent read the reg lately it has changed. It is mandatory to take a BRC before you ride on or off base, than you must take the ERC within 3 years of the BRC and every 3 years there after. Where are you stationed? Mooseknuckle makes me think your in Alaska with me, am I wrong?

I'm stationed at Moody. Just looked it up and can't find anything here. Only says you need the basic MSF course or basically some kind of proof that you took a riders course. The rest is still local CC option whether he wants riders to take more in depth (strategic) courses or not. At Pope (NC) when stationed there, riders had to take the MSF, then if you rode a sportbike, had to take the SRC and BRC. Our CC there was a dick and briefed, "if I could, I would ban all motorcycles". So he made us do CC briefs every 3 months, and all kinds of stupid **** just to try to make it as hard as possible to ride. Then I moved here, and my new CC rides. Hmm...

Quick Reply: Military Sportbike Riders course