Off Topic A place for you CBR junkies to boldly go off topic. Almost anything goes.

Military Sportbike Riders course

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-2008, 02:42 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Military Sportbike Riders course

Aloha all,
I know there are alot of Military folks on here, wondering how many of you have gone through the new course? I am doing it tomorrow, first class taught on the island. I watched the trainers go through a bit this morning, looks pretty fun. Just wondering what people's thoughts are on this course. I certainly have my opinions, just looking for thoughts or suggestions that I can take back to the safety center folks here and in the mainland. Let me here your thoughts.

Cletus

Old 06-26-2008, 03:15 PM
Retired Super Moderator
Default RE: Military Sportbike Riders course

Here at Ft Rucker it is the standard MSF (motorcycle safety foundation) course....Not sure about down there, but an MSF card is an accepted course at all military installations, from what i understand.

I took my course at Eastern Kentucky University, and i had a blast. You can have a hell of a good time on a buell blast 500, that's all i know!!! hahaha The instructors loved it when we would drag the pegs all over the place.......

-Adam

Old 06-26-2008, 08:03 PM

That is how it is here at Elmendorf. MSF all the way.

Old 06-26-2008, 09:23 PM

are you talking about the sport bike specified one? i dont know any 1 thats gone through it but from the little that gathered from the article in the MArine Corps times it seems cool and if i have the chance i would go.let us know how it goes and what it consists of

Old 06-26-2008, 09:25 PM

The MSF version of the BRC or ERC is still the requirement to get your decal here to. There is a new requirement that all Sport bike riders now attend a different course. Like I said this is brand new, the coaches just went throught the course to learn it, and tomorrow a group of 12 of us are going through as their guniea pigs. I didnt think it was out every where yet, but I thought more people would have heard of it. When I get throught tomorrow I will post the details I get as well as any info on this course. As for my fellow Sailors and Marines on here. contact your local safety center or the cognizant authority that runs your base class and they should be able to give you more information about the timeline you have to get it done.

Cletus

Old 06-26-2008, 10:24 PM
Friend and Hero ...

Are you referring to a program similar to what IIMEF did. It sent unity instructors, well more than just unity instructors. I think the number is somewhere around 100 Marines who have been to Keith Code Superbike school in order to prepare them to train young Marines on the proper way to handle a sports bike in the advanced riders course, which at one time was being discussed as being mandatory for all sports bike riders. I never had the pleasure of meeting meanstrk but if I'm not mistaken, he was a unit instructor himself who attended school but he hasn't posted in a while

Old 06-26-2008, 11:00 PM

[:'(]I've only just heard about about the SBRC. I am PCS'ing from 4thMAW Tx to Miramar Ca. I hope the USMC doesnt take this crap too far.

Old 06-27-2008, 12:36 AM

Hardcorp,
I am not familiar with meanstrk. This new course is a result of the past few years mortality rate among our Sailors and Marines. According to the Navy safety center, this course was asked for by riders throughout the Department of the Navy, and I know for here on Oahu, it is going to boil over to all services. There is not a lot of information available anywhere, as it is so new. I remember some years back MSF trying this sort of thing out, but due to liability and instructor quality they sort of went away from the concept. Tomorrow when I get through I will report my findings as well as any pics I can get. If they are cool with it, I will have my camecorder mounted and provide video. I am not sure that will fly since we are the guinea pig class, but I dont care, they can always tell me to turn it off. As for the different concentration areas, There should be up and starting pilot courses of this and the requirements soon.

Old 06-27-2008, 09:06 AM

I didn't even know the military offered motorcycle courses, that's pretty cool

Old 06-27-2008, 10:47 AM

Its all good and all that stuff but it pisses me off. Heres why. It's mandatory. I just had to renew my MSF card because up here in the pacific northwest, the Navy says your MSF is only good for 3 yrs. So I take the BRC as it was the first available. Now, they tell me"oh, you ride a sportbike also, so you have to now take another course, the sportbike course" Ok, I damn near had to take leave to get the BRC done, now I gotta short my work center again by HAVING to take another course. It just peeves me that I gotta jump through so many hoops just for my chosen mode of transportation. Don't get me wrong, I think the BRC, ERC, and the new sportbike course is all good and I'm sure its helpful, but when you go regulating people to take this training and that training cause so and so........it gets old.
So, in three years, I will have to take what, 3 motorcycle classes? WTF? Not to mention the constant hassle from the ignorant gate guards that don't know the instructions always giving you ****. I can drive a POS 88 buick with the hood held down by a coat hanger, riding on three bald spare doughnuts, spewing smoke with a cracked headlight and get waved right on base, but holy **** don't let your gay required neon vest not haveenough retro reflective area on it. Yes, the numbers are high for sportbike riders who are out there getting killed, but it's also the younger crowd, put a young dumbass on anything and they'll still be a young dumbass and get theirself killed, they just like to kill themselves with sportbikes, don't make the rest of us have to jump through all the hoops and crap to simply ride a bike. My bikes are my daily drivers year-round, and it gets old fighting the treatment like I just knocked the training wheels off and rolled it out of the garage for the first time. Just leave me the hell alone already ehh? Sorry for the rant, point is, I'm sure the training is a valuable tool, I just don't like these draconian "rules" always being swept over me to protect me from myself in the form of "mandatory" training.

Quick Reply: Military Sportbike Riders course