Off Topic A place for you CBR junkies to boldly go off topic. Almost anything goes.

Lucky to be alive today, electricity is unforgiving

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-2007 | 10:59 PM
Default Lucky to be alive today, electricity is unforgiving

We are building a new high voltage pole line out in the country, I was installing 8' anchor rods into the ground which will eventually have guy wires attaching them to the new poles we are installing. We were using a large radial boom derrick truck to do this.When we build a new line we usually build it quite close to the old existing one but with much taller poles. The derrick operator and I loaded the machine with an anchcor then I proceeded into the field to locate the stake the engineers place to show where the anchor goes. In the meantime the operator swung the boom with the hanging anchoring equipment toward me. When I finally found the location stake there was the anchor hanging right in front of me about waist height. What I hadn't noticed was that the top part of the boom was in contact with the road phase of the existing 8000v line. I reached out to grab the anchor to guild it down to the spot. I was held there, unable to move, unable tocall out for help. I truly thought this is it for me. The operator recognized that I was in trouble and retracted the boom. I remember I was looking up and and seeing the boom draw a blue arch of about 1' before it broke and I fell to the ground. My heart didn't stop! I got up immediatly and ran to the road. I was taken to the hospital where I spent the entire day going through tests. My heart is fine and I didn't even lose any apendeges. The electricity entered the thumb andfinger of my left hand and exited out the big toes of both feet burning the tips of my socks off. My fingers and toes hurt and I was not looking forward to taking off my boots to see what damage was done. Luckly not too bad. I'll have to go in at least once to have some of the burnt tissue cut away, but I will keep my fingers and toes. The boom truck itself lost 4 out of 10 tires.

I got complacent, I've been at this for 16 years and have been a journeyman lineman for over ten.I forgot that in my line of work you can't just watch what you are doing, you must also be aware of the actions of everyone around you. I am the luckiest bastard in the world today! And it took a long time to type this with one hand haha.
Be careful out there people. In everything you do.

Old 08-30-2007 | 11:13 PM
Default RE: Lucky to be alive today, electricity is unforgiving

ORIGINAL: EPNF4i
I am the luckiest bastard in the world today! And it took a long time to type this with one hand haha.
LOL almost dies and still jokes around, Glad your still around bro.

Old 08-30-2007 | 11:23 PM

Damn, that sounds scary, just standing there helpless while 8,000 volts blew out 40% of the trucks' tires and 100% of your socks!

Btw, I have no idea what you're talking about as far as the job goes.....lol. [&:]

Glad you're OK!!!

Old 08-30-2007 | 11:24 PM

Thanks man. At this point all I can do is laugh and be thankfull. When I get back to work the **** is going to hit the fan with commitee meetings and investgations and interviews and finger pointing.........It is going to suck!

Old 08-30-2007 | 11:34 PM
Mad

Dude!!! That's some crazy lucky ****. I blew a breaker in the house once, but damn 8000v that's crazy. Glad your OK for the most part. Rest up...

Old 08-30-2007 | 11:38 PM

Hey atleast you don't have to use a weeks worth of vacation to have a good time this holiday.

Old 08-30-2007 | 11:49 PM

ORIGINAL: psycojester

Hey atleast you don't have to use a weeks worth of vacation to have a good time this holiday.
Hahaha! Ya and I think I can still ride. I was already in the garage sitting on it and I can squeeze the clutch. and I'll probably be able to get my toes into some work boots.

Old 08-31-2007 | 12:11 AM
Retired Moderator

You know what, Epi? This world would have lost someluster if you were gone.... Glad you are okay!!! Now, change your socks...

Old 08-31-2007 | 12:16 AM

ORIGINAL: voodoochyl

You know what, Epi? This world would have lost someluster if you were gone.... Glad you are okay!!! Now, change your socks...
Thanks buddy The socks I threw away , but I did change my underwear though!

Old 08-31-2007 | 12:21 AM
Ironmang

WOW! Damn bro glad to hear you're alright and still here with us![:-] That's alot of juice going through your body.. could have been much worse.

I remember getting shocked by a 230v air conditioner once, and that was more than enough juice for me! hahahah

Hope you heal up quick!

Quick Reply: Lucky to be alive today, electricity is unforgiving