Off Topic A place for you CBR junkies to boldly go off topic. Almost anything goes.

local accident (cop killed, biker got away)

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-2008, 02:34 PM
Banned
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: local accident (cop killed, biker got away)

Because Chad, the police officer was within his authority to give chase. The biker had no authority to create a situation in which a pursuit was the result.

If you wanna critique the officers actions and decision making, fine. But don't tell me a brick is heavy without tryingto lift it.

You're free to your opinons but until you've been in their situation, you can only speculate.

I'll tell you what isn't speculation - the biker was breaking the law and an officer gave chase withing his legal authority.

What coulda shoulda woulda been done... well I don't think I need to go much further.

I'm getting outta here for a while just had some real **** pop up and thought I would come on to here and relax and now I'm getting all pissed off again.

Old 05-24-2008, 03:19 PM

dont mean to upset you over a year old thread homie.

I will tell you what else isnt speculation, people died as a result of his giving chase "within his legal authority".

He also has legal right to use deadly force if necessary. doesnt mean that is the best option everytime. You just said that the cop killing the innocent people in the car was %100 the bikers fault everytime. I just dont quite see it like that.

Remember that I am part of the public that is in danger from both the biker and cop if this happens in my town. And as part of that public I would rather the cop not chase with his car in this paticular situation.

btw, if you would rather continue the debate over PM so this thread dies that is totally cool. Or if you would rather just let it go Im cool with that too. I really didnt mean to start this up again. [sm=icon_cheers.gif]

edit: i didnt actually bring this one back. either way though.

Old 05-24-2008, 04:16 PM
Banned

Not at all man - I was readin' some of the last old posts' and I forgot how much I dislike some people and I was already mad from some **** here ("here" being real life)nothin on you dude.

As for my logic, here's the way I see it; you have Individual A (citizen) and Individual B (cop).

1. Individual A puts innocent people into harms way

Any deviation ofa personsnatural course of living as a result of factnumber 1 is a direct result of fact number 1, as any decisions made during that time are reactionary and not preemptive.

Old 05-24-2008, 05:11 PM

ORIGINAL: jaynd

the worst part is that he probably had no idea that any of this had happened in his wake. at the speed he was traveling i guarentee he didnt find out about this until he was "safe" at home and clicked on the tv.
+10000000000

Old 05-24-2008, 11:16 PM
Banned

^^^Yeah I don't doubt that at all. I know there could be at least a couple of times in my riding career that I could have been involved in a pursuit and not known it simply because of the ridiculous speeds I was going, you get a split second to check your mirrors to try and see if maybe you can see a flash of red or blue.

It may sound like I'm being hard headed, and for the sake of arguement, I agree that there are definitely better choices that could have been made by every party involved - but to critique choices made in an instant by others from the sidelines is about as easy as it gets.

I think the real question at hand is wether or not the whole of the people feel that the fleeing citizen should be held accountable to some degree for the situation thathe himselfcreated in the course of breaking the law.

I absolutely feel that he (fleeing citizen)should be heldresonsible to some degree. I would alos say that the LE agency should also be required to review their policy regarding pursuits and wether or not there was a deviancefrom the practice ofthose policies or procedures, but that happens whenever any death results from an encounter with LE.

FWIW, in Missouri (and most other states) intent plays a critical role in determining the criminal penalty. In the above case, no degree of murder charges would apply - only voluntary manslaughter as his actions are not those of a reasonable person under similar circumstances but absent mal intent. Meaning he didn't set out to hurt anyone but as a logical person he was aware his actions could cause death or permanent bodily injury or harm to another.

Old 05-24-2008, 11:53 PM
RCR

Looks like the officer is on admin. leave for his actions..

PRESS RELEASEFatal Beltway Crash Investigation Concluded Forwarded to State’s Attorney

Prince George’s County, Maryland… Prince George’s County Police Chief Melvin C. High said the Department’s Collision Analysis Unit has concluded its investigation of the May 30th accident on the Beltway that resulted in the death of two people. The investigative report will be delivered to the State’s Attorney’s Office today, which is required to conduct a review of all motor vehicle fatalities.
“Our investigators and the State’s Attorney’s Office have been in regular contact, as they have assisted us during the course of the criminal investigation in summoning witnesses and obtaining arrest warrants,†said Chief High. High said the department is also conducting a concurrent administrative investigation which is required when a police officer is involved, and will not be concluded until the State’s Attorney’s Office makes a determination in the criminal investigation.
The fatal accident occurred when an officer following a motorcycle in the northbound lane of 495 at Ritchie Marlboro Road hit another vehicle. The collision analysis/accident reconstruction and investigation includes interviews and statements from at least 15 witnesses; analysis of video and radio communications, post mortem examinations, roadway analysis, speed and motion analysis of each vehicle and paint transfer and damage pattern analysis. The officer involved is on administrative leave.

For more information, call the Prince George’s County Press Information Office at (301) 772-4710. The investigation is continuing.

Old 05-24-2008, 11:57 PM
Banned

Whoa

I think I was reading the wrong thread... I thought the officer giving pursuit was killed? Oh well, I guess it doesn't change my view anyway.

Still sad and preventable.

Old 05-25-2008, 12:01 AM
Retired Administrator

ORIGINAL: jaynd

holy old post!
Holy locked post!

Come on guys, a year old post to dig up a fight?