Off Topic A place for you CBR junkies to boldly go off topic. Almost anything goes.

lifting injury?

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-2008, 02:19 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default lifting injury?

I went and lifted weights for the first time after my surgery like 3 days ago...and i did way more then i should have..I started off fine. Then i went to do some chest fly things and was doing around 120lbs and on about the 4th or 5th rep i just felt this intense pain in the front of both of my shoulders..like right under my collar bone all the way down to under my arm. The next day it killed..And here it is 3 days later and it still hurts. At first i thought it was soreness for lifting..but everything else went away already..except my shoulders. I dont want to go see a doctor if it is infact just pain from lifting. ( I also took creatine before and after) and im usually NEVER sore after lifting when i take it. So is this a common thing?? Or maybe tore something??

Old 12-05-2008, 02:29 AM
Redcoat, & Maxwell's Silver Hammer, MVN and curmudgeon
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default RE: lifting injury?

Geez JD why go at it like a bull in a china shop ?
You've just had surgery, dammit.
Start with much lighter weights
I had knee surgery and started with a 2 pound weight on my foot, and even that hurt like hell when I swung my leg.
Take it easy, brother, baby steps to start...........

Old 12-05-2008, 02:37 AM

Tendons need time to get use to heavy weight again. your muslces can usually adapt, but your tendons do not adapt well.

The one thing about pulled muscles and or injured tendons.. they hurt imediately. I would lean more towards a tendon injury from your description of pain and the onset. It could be a pulled muscle, but tendons are usually the first thing to give out in the shoulders.

I injured my shoulder about 4 years ago just warming up. So even if your not going heavy, it can still happen. I was doing dips, leaned over to warm up my chest and my shoulder just kind of popped. It instantly hurt. I went to the doctor and they had to MRI it. I stretched the tendons in my shoulder and the ballof my shoulder joint was grinding against the outer socket.There was a ton of fluid on thejointfrom the wear after only a few days.I opted to not have sugery and it just kind of wore in. But, Istill cantdo any flat presses with a decent amount of weight. I have to do all incline presses and flys now.

I would try different movements while your at home. If you can press one way but not the other,( such as flat or incline or shoulder press)than more than likely you should go see a doctor. If its just sore all the time and doesnt change pain with movements, your probably ok.

But it kind of sounds like a rotator cuff injury.

But if you have insurance, then go anyway.

Old 12-05-2008, 03:03 AM

Actually i just realized as long as i go before january first i dont have to pay a dime..I might go just get it checked out tomorrow. Cause it hurts so bad now i cant even lay flat on my back. ive been sleeping in a chair for the past few days.

Old 12-05-2008, 03:08 AM

Actually I remember when i went in i was only able to bench 205lbs. And only 3 reps. And then after i hurt it i couldn't even get the bar. i figured it would heal with time. But this is just getting lame.

Old 12-05-2008, 03:08 AM
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

People who went for such a surgery should not be pushing weights for the first few months. Light training like jogging, swimming will do. Its better for you to go for a checkup just to be sure its just some torn muscles.